Hot Toys–MMS142-TRON: Legacy:Sam Flynn Cycle Spec +pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know where the assumption that Disney thought this would be a cash cow keeps coming from.

I think people are pulling that out of their ass.

I think they had moderate expectations. If they were counting on it to be a huge franchise they wouldn't have chosen a first time director to helm it.

DIsney didn't pick him. He BROUGHT the developed project to them. They LET him direct. (I think he did a pretty great job--my probe are more with the story. Visually, stylistically and musically he made all the right calls)

You don't see Hot Toys milking the Avatar license like do with Iron Man.

That's cos Avatar requires effort, Iron Man reqiures the same repetetive character, repainting and adding some extra stuff and charging more for it :lol

Tons of better licenses than Iron Man don't get milked, let alone Avatar

That's cos Avatar requires effort, Iron Man reqiures the same repetetive character, repainting and adding some extra stuff and charging more for it :lol

Tons of better licenses than Iron Man don't get milked, let alone Avatar

I think the plan WAS to milk the avatar line to the extent that they could make several Jake Sully's... but the bodies took longer to develop than the (likely) computer auto cad Iron Man manufacturing process.

I would imagine the Avatar body would be easier to do than Iron Man which had more complex joints. The issue I would guess would be all the costume bits and accessories, which are pretty complex.

I would imagine the Avatar body would be easier to do than Iron Man which had more complex joints. The issue I would guess would be all the costume bits and accessories, which are pretty complex.

No.. because the Iron Man body is probably designed in a computer where as the Avatar body needs to be sculpted.

Actually the Neytiri and Tsutay bodies will be completely different. It's like super predators to predator different. Neytiri is much shorter and both native na'vi are much slighter in build. Not even the hands are the same (different number of fingers).

Well HT doesn't really care to make Predators an accurate size, i wouldn't really care if Neytiri was slightly taller than she should be, you're right about the fingers, never caught that :lol but changing the hands is hardly a stretch fot them neither is changing the girth slightly thinner

DIsney didn't pick him. He BROUGHT the developed project to them. They LET him direct. (I think he did a pretty great job--my probe are more with the story. Visually, stylistically and musically he made all the right calls)

First off, what's the difference between "LET" and "PICK"? They had to invest the capital. Its not like he filmed the thing and then Disney said "yeah you can release it." :rotfl

If they needed the film to be the biggest grossing movie of all time they wouldn't have "LET" a rookie director take it.

Finally, I agree he did a bang up job. That wasn't my point.

I just don't think Disney execs thought that a revived cult classic that previously failed would be the next Avatar. They aren't idiots.

Did they have hopes? Of course, but thats just stupid to think they pictured the next Avatar. That would be like saying Universal thought Serenity was the next Star Wars.

What Disney did was underestimate the 'built-in' audience for Tron. 30 years between sequels is too much to hope that (a) people like me who saw the original when they were very young even REMEMBER what the movie was (especially since Blu-Ray of original flick was not released prior to Tron Legacy's theater run) and (b) that the largest film going demographic (teenage boys) would even care.

They thought the film would gross about 150 million more than it did.

Now sequels have been committed too in worse cases -- look at the dismal Ghost Rider and its sequel-- but Disney has yet to commit.

Are you pulling these numbers from somewhere? How do you know what they expected?

Edit, even if it made $150m more that would still be over $1.5 BILLION less than Avatar.

:lol there is no way that Disney thought they had that in Tron Legacy.

Last edited:
Are you pulling these numbers from somewhere? How do you know what they expected?

Edit, even if it made $150m more that would still be over $1.5 BILLION less than Avatar.

:lol there is no way that Disney thought they had that in Tron Legacy.

Yeah, exactly. Why do people say Disney expected more? Where is their source? Did Disney say this themselves or are people making assumptions based on nothing?

I think they'll eventually make another film, but I don't think they are under any delusions that the frachise is like POTC where they can just release anything good or bad and it will make $500 million.

To some extent that might be a good thing because I doubt they'll invest in a rubish script as bad as the POTC sequels.

Back