Hot Toys–MMS142-TRON: Legacy:Sam Flynn Cycle Spec +pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From IMDB:

"Box Office
Budget: $170,000,000 (estimated)
Opening Weekend: $44,026,211 (USA) (19 December 2010) (3451 Screens)
Gross: $400,062,763 (Worldwide) (1 May 2011)"

This is a big profit in my opinion.

It doesn't count how much they spent on advertizing, and they were still hoping for way more than that.

Well SS says March release and most likely that isn't hapening unless it's out in HK like...NOW
If it's delayed AGAIN something is up...hope just a brief push-back!

Back on topic it's a bummer its been pushed back again. But it's not that much a surprise. It just better be a freakn' awesome figure. If it's not I'm going to be very bummed out. :(

SNSGUY

Oh it's gonna be an awesome figure, they've had almost 2 years time to make it so.

:goodpost:

Some companies consider things a failure unless they make Billions BILLions i say!!!!!!! Mwahahaha

True, lol!

It doesn't count how much they spent on advertizing, and they were still hoping for way more than that.

How much did they spend on advertising? I always thought all costs of a movie was included in the budget. So there were two budgets?

Well SS says March release and most likely that isn't hapening unless it's out in HK like...NOW
If it's delayed AGAIN something is up...hope just a brief push-back!

I'm guessing mid to end April, it's listed as March 31st on HotToys.jp, Sideshow usually gets it a month after, but Indiana Jones did ship out almost at the same time if i recall.

Oh it's gonna be an awesome figure, they've had almost 2 years time to make it so.

True, lol!

How much did they spend on advertising? I always thought all costs of a movie was included in the budget. So there were two budgets?

Yeah, the advertising isn't counted in that, and in some cases the advertising can be ridiculously high. I think it was like 100 million for Avatar.

Whether Tron:Legacy was a success or not seems to be able to spun several different ways. I do think Disney planned for this to be as big as Avatar or to become their Star Wars as far as success goes. Due to it not hitting this high bar and having received mixed reviews some consider it a disappointment.
On the other hand the film had a lot of things going against it and it turned a profit anyway. It was a sequel to a 29 year old cult film that while I'm a fan, I know there are people who find it unwatchable. Disney not re-releasing the original on home video and making it hard to find left a lot of people in the dark. Tron DVDs before Legacy came out were fetching $60-$70 on eBay. When the film was released I think attendance was also hurt by really terrible winter weather in the U.S.
I think one thing that has some taking notice was the film's box office take was comparable to Star Trek and Batman Begins. It was also the highest grossing film in history to be shot by a first time director.
Tron as a franchise is really in the fence, because the numbers could be spun as there isn't as much interest as there could be but also has the foundation for something bigger been laid and Disney just needs to nurture it to get it to grow into something bigger.
As far as HT goes, who knows what is going on. I hope it is worth it. I still think a Quorra would sell better than Alice from Resident Evil and Rinzler would sell better than the human characters from Predators or even a Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern that I'm sure will still get made.

I mean about advertising costs not being included in the budget of a movie.

I'm not sure--I only know that's what they were spending on advertising which wasn't counted in the budget (for instance the budget for Call of Duty was $50 million but advertising for it was $200)

I think usually for regular films the budget for advertising is around $10 million

I'm not sure--I only know that's what they were spending on advertising which wasn't counted in the budget (for instance the budget for Call of Duty was $50 million but advertising for it was $200)

I think usually for regular films the budget for advertising is around $10 million

Dead wrong. Some films DOUBLE their budget in P&A (Print and Advertising). A film like Avengers for instance... with Super Bowl spots and billboards and constant tv ads running will probably end up spending close to $50-100 million.

I think Disney considers Tron a moderate success. I believe it did make a profit. Did it make huge money like Avatar? No. But not everything does to make it successful. It killed in IMAX and did well in DVD sales. A film that cleans up like Avatar comes out once in 10 years. I don't think Disney was expecting it to be a long distance runner like Avatar at all. They realized that Avatar had various layers to attract multiple target audiences that Tron never would have without altering what Tron is.

Unfortunately it didn't translate to more high end product. But look at Avatar...that didn't either!

I think Disney considers Tron a moderate success. I believe it did make a profit. Did it make huge money like Avatar? No. But not everything does to make it successful. It killed in IMAX and did well in DVD sales. A film that cleans up like Avatar comes out once in 10 years. I don't think Disney was expecting it to be a long distance runner like Avatar at all. They realized that Avatar had various layers to attract multiple target audiences that Tron never would have without altering what Tron is.

Unfortunately it didn't translate to more high end product. But look at Avatar...that didn't either!

Err What? Neytiri LSF & HT Jake are awesome :nana:

(Add merchandising, toys etc.. To Tron's profit too)

Err What? Neytiri LSF & HT Jake are awesome :nana:

(Add merchandising, toys etc.. To Tron's profit too)

Good looking items no doubt, the key word was "more". There were what, 3 or 4 items from the movie released between HT and SSC? That's soon to be equaled by Tron once the cycle and the Rinzler maquette is out.

Even the biggest grossing movie of all time doesn't mean they crank out products left and right. Where as Iron Man which while fun movies ( at least the first one) has equaled an appalling number of items.

My understanding is that Disney had some (frankly, probably ludicrous) expectations for Legacy but that it was a solid profit-maker. That's just not what they wanted. Now they are seeing if the franchise has any legs. Tron 3 is being worked on, but I think they are looking to see if Tron Uprising gains any traction and if they can really turn the property into a franchise before they fully commit to Tron 3.

My understanding is that Disney had some (frankly, probably ludicrous) expectations for Legacy but that it was a solid profit-maker. That's just not what they wanted. Now they are seeing if the franchise has any legs. Tron 3 is being worked on, but I think they are looking to see if Tron Uprising gains any traction and if they can really turn the property into a franchise before they fully commit to Tron 3.

:goodpost:
I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. As a business, Disney needs to know there is still a market out there for this. So let's all hope Tron Uprising will be successful.

I was trying to think what gave Disney the idea it was going to have record breaking box office and I'm guessing it was probably the SDCC crowd. I think for a while studios where trying to use SDCC as a litmus test and I think that would only work if Hall H was an accurate cross section of the viewing audience. I want to say when the Avatar footage was presented there it was made fun of by some people.

I don't know where the assumption that Disney thought this would be a cash cow keeps coming from.

I think people are pulling that out of their ass.

I think they had moderate expectations. If they were counting on it to be a huge franchise they wouldn't have chosen a first time director to helm it.

I don't know where the assumption that Disney thought this would be a cash cow keeps coming from.

I think people are pulling that out of their ass.

I think they had moderate expectations. If they were counting on it to be a huge franchise they wouldn't have chosen a first time director to helm it.

Studios rarely pick directors based on talent. The advertising for it was massive, they clearly expected it to be more popular than it ended up being.

Back