Hot Toy DX08 - BATMAN - The Joker (Jack Nicholson) - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great review Sallah, really enjoyed it. Like I said for your Batman review, your genuine enthusiasm for the 1989 Batman film is really cool to see. I thought I was the only one that noticed/knew about the bullet hole through Napier's lucky deck, good to see I wasn't alone.

Good stories, great pics, fantastic review. I can't wait to get Joker and have it displayed next to Batman. Been waiting years for this.

:goodpost: Agreed. At this point,and I can't believe I'm about to say this, I'm looking forward to Jack more than Bats. I think he's going to stand out so much on the shelf. I don't have anything nearly as colorful. Those clothes really pop. I feel fortunate to be able to afford this.

Thanks man! Much appreciated... I had a blast doing the pictures this time around too. It was really fun trying to recreate the Herb Ritts stuff-

77.jpg

(The review is here for those that might not want to go back a few pages for the link- Hot Toys DX08 Nicholson Joker Review)

Sallah

Loved the review, Sallah! :clap

Great review Sallah, really enjoyed it. Like I said for your Batman review, your genuine enthusiasm for the 1989 Batman film is really cool to see. I thought I was the only one that noticed/knew about the bullet hole through Napier's lucky deck, good to see I wasn't alone.

Good stories, great pics, fantastic review. I can't wait to get Joker and have it displayed next to Batman. Been waiting years for this.

Thanks man! I really appreciate hearing that. :) And yeah... The first thing I looked for was the bullet hole...

:goodpost: Agreed. At this point,and I can't believe I'm about to say this, I'm looking forward to Jack more than Bats. I think he's going to stand out so much on the shelf. I don't have anything nearly as colorful. Those clothes really pop. I feel fortunate to be able to afford this.

He really does rock! :yess: And there are so many display options for him- All the different accessories/ hands, hat/ no hat, regular coat/ trench coat... Heck, he even looks good with no coat at all!

42.jpg

Awesome, awesome toy. Can't wait for Returns!

Loved the review, Sallah! :clap

Thanks buddy! :)

Sallah

The thing with Adam's sculpts, as I've gone on about ad nauseum, as well as almost all other custom sculpts is that they live and die by the paint work. The melty Joker up there looks damn near flawless because the painter managed to give it some texture and make it look like a person. small_studios (I think) paint job that I originally posted is very soft, and it looks like a toy. The shading and detail work is great, it's just that it looks, well...like a painted toy.

Out of all the customizers on here, Adam does hands down the best work, as aside from his sculpts, his paint work is almost flawless. Anytime anyone else touches his work, it almost inevitably looks worse. There are a few exceptions here and there, but they're very few in number. I had to do some paint work on the Ledger sculpt of his that I have, but that was just personal preferences...when I first got it, the paint work was mind-blowing.

Custom sculpts turn out nicely much more often than custom paint work does. Custom paint work often just kills them.

With what painters are charging these days, there should be no gammy work -- only excellent heads.

That said, its a very subjective thing.

And I agree, a good paintjob can save a poor sculpt, but a poor paintjob can destroy a beautiful sculpt... as we've seen with SS Indy.

Yeah I mean...I paint a hell of a lot, for myself, so I'm very harsh on paint work. Bad paints just bother the ____ out of me, especially when someone charges as much as they do now for it, like Wor-Gar said.

Anyone got any recommendations for me for those Summer Glau heads? Just names to bear in mind because I might not be ready to pay for a commission just yet.

I'll be using them for Cameron from Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and I'd like the paint to be somewhat consistent with the paint on my HT Terminator figures, understanding that it might not be quite as good.

Yeah I mean...I paint a hell of a lot, for myself, so I'm very harsh on paint work. Bad paints just bother the ____ out of me, especially when someone charges as much as they do now for it, like Wor-Gar said.

Yeah tell me about it. I've been wanting to get my Medi TDK head painted forever and all I want is the mouth area and eyes painted.
$100? Yeah right!

Crow do you ever post any of your paint apps. I would love to see some of your past work.

Rarely, the only one I have a recent picture was the work I did on the DX Indy.

indy8.jpg

indy3-1.jpg

I don't get too involved with the custom discussions aside from the occasional foray into expressing my disbelief with prices some people charge. That and the massive amounts of sycophants in the custom community keeps me away.

Dayum. I think I've seen that before, and if I have I probably said this - if the HT stock figure looked like that I doubt anywhere near as many people would have been complaining. I'd have bought one without a doubt.

I don't get too involved with the custom discussions aside from the occasional foray into expressing my disbelief with prices some people charge. That and the massive amounts of sycophants in the custom community keeps me away.

God do I agree with this statement.

Dayum. I think I've seen that before, and if I have I probably said this - if the HT stock figure looked like that I doubt anywhere near as many people would have been complaining. I'd have bought one without a doubt.

Yep, I believe I remember that. It's nice work.

That's a nice pic of him in his trencher, sallah. Hat even looks decent. If they would have added a bit more size to the trencher it would have been perfect.

Sure is a lot of variation in the bow tie knots. Mine looks kinda wonky while others look really nice. I tried to adjust it but I couldn't get it to budge much.

Have you tried starting from scratch and re-tieing it?

yeah .. or not!
Jeez

IMG_0037.png

Good lord. Put Batfreak on ignore.

Add you on my loosers list ;)

:ignore:

:lecture

The thing with Adam's sculpts, as I've gone on about ad nauseum, as well as almost all other custom sculpts is that they live and die by the paint work. The melty Joker up there looks damn near flawless because the painter managed to give it some texture and make it look like a person. small_studios (I think) paint job that I originally posted is very soft, and it looks like a toy. The shading and detail work is great, it's just that it looks, well...like a painted toy.

Out of all the customizers on here, Adam does hands down the best work, as aside from his sculpts, his paint work is almost flawless. Anytime anyone else touches his work, it almost inevitably looks worse. There are a few exceptions here and there, but they're very few in number. I had to do some paint work on the Ledger sculpt of his that I have, but that was just personal preferences...when I first got it, the paint work was mind-blowing.

Custom sculpts turn out nicely much more often than custom paint work does. Custom paint work often just kills them.

Adams paint is good, but there are better painters imo. His Nicholson paint-job is very monotone. At sculpting he is king.

Regarding the frequent comparison to Hot Toys paint. I don't know what tricks they use but there heads don't have a hand-painted feel to them. I suspect they use decals for the eyes and do a lot of air-brushing. I'm not Knocking their technique because the results speak for themselves, but there is something special about a well-done hand painted 1/6 head. That's fine if you don't personally like them, but the kind of precision that some of the painters here can achieve with an ordinary brush is truly astounding.

Speaking for myself, I agree that Hot Toys recent paint-aps are more life-like than most painters, but that doesn't mean there aren't many customizers that deserve mad props.

Crow do you ever post any of your paint apps. I would love to see some of your past work.

Personally I think the head you sent me is the best paint-job on Adams sculpt out there.

Even if it never gets used on a figure in the end, I consider it a prized possession and I will always display it at least on a head pedestal. The softness of Adam's sculpt combined with your flawless paint-job almost give it a porcelain feel. For people to compare anything about it to Mattel (like Batfreak did) is idiotic in the extreme.

P1130980.jpg

P1130977.jpg

Even if it never gets used on a figure in the end, I consider it a prized possession and I will always display it at least on a head pedestal. The softness of Adam's sculpt combined with your flawless paint-job almost give it a porcelain feel. For people to compare anything about it to Mattel (like Batfreak did) is idiotic in the extreme.

I fully agree with this, and I think that's exactly what takes away from the realism. I'm a big fan of Josh's work (although I don't own any of his), his paint jobs almost feel like paintings, like an idealized world. Perhaps even something you would see in a glamour magazine (and I don't mean this in any negative way). As said, this takes away from the realism though as opposed to "photorealistic" paintjobs, which is something SilentSurfer does very well IMO.

First of all, i don't know who Adam is. And i think his joker sculpt looks like Will Ferrell with make up gone wrong. and with that weird lower lip ..ahhh ..just can't stand it. It's ugly [in a wrong kind of way] and i don't want it in my collections. Look like 3$ plastic, no skin texture head doll. But if some of you like it. Good for you.

P1130980.jpg

:slap

Back