Hot Toy DX08 - BATMAN - The Joker (Jack Nicholson) - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you're biggest problem Fernandofan08... is that it was made in the 80's, it was a different time. :lecture

Jack took down the Batwing with a long pistol because of budget issues if I remember correctly, so they just had to work with what they had I guess... but I still love that scene for what it is, lol.

As for your Jack/Ledger comparison... it's strange because I feel the way you do.
I completely hated Ledger's Joker because I felt as if he wasn't crazy or convincing enough(my God, his forced laugh annoyed the ____ out of me)

It's just personal preference really.

I guess that's true. There's a need for competition in sports as there are actual rivals though. There's victory to obtain when two teams go against each other. With film vs. film, character vs. character? All it is is fan induced nonsense. What benefits are there in proclaiming that you prefer one to another or that one is worse? Both Jokers are from the same film franchise, there isn't a competition, only with it's fans. It seems petty and ridiculous to me that fans have this need to choose one or the other and tell about it.

It's difficult for me to understand the logic about praising one and dumping on the other when I pretty much like both equally. There isn't this "end all be all", not in the comics, not in the films and yet people take it upon themselves to think as such. What one doesn't accomplish, the other one does and vice versa.

Same here. My heart can't be in any debate when I love both.

I wish I had the luxury of liking one more than the other...I WISH!!!!

But I'm a complete Batman mark :gah: I got everything HTs has made from the Nolanverse, custom '89 stuff from Soviergn Studios & FigureMaster Les, the official '89 stuff on order and I plan on ordering anything...ANYTHING they produce from '89 Batman & B Returns plus all the TDKR stuff!

My wallets sphincter is twitching...

I wish I had the luxury of liking one more than the other...I WISH!!!!

But I'm a complete Batman mark :gah: I got everything HTs has made from the Nolanverse, custom '89 stuff from Soviergn Studios & FigureMaster Les, the official '89 stuff on order and I plan on ordering anything...ANYTHING they produce from '89 Batman & B Returns plus all the TDKR stuff!

My wallets sphincter is twitching...

You bloody rich! :lol

Post your Bat collection here! :lecture

I think you're biggest problem Fernandofan08... is that it was made in the 80's, it was a different time. :lecture

Jack took down the Batwing with a long pistol because of budget issues if I remember correctly, so they just had to work with what they had I guess... but I still love that scene for what it is, lol.

As for your Jack/Ledger comparison... it's strange because I feel the way you do.
I completely hated Ledger's Joker because I felt as if he wasn't crazy or convincing enough(my God, his forced laugh annoyed the ____ out of me)

It's just personal preference really.

Thats the beauty of it. Theres no true definitive joker, because each writer in the comics had their own spin, each actor will have their own spin. To be honest, I think part of my problem is Jack nicholson. He doesn't play a character, he plays himself. I watched the shinning on BBC2 one night, before I watched the batman film (X-files used to be on before it, back when television was great!), and through the film, all i saw Jack Torrance, then he played Jack Nappier/joker, I was expecting him to go 'heres johnny!' in the film.

its an iconic look, and I do love the style of Burton's Joker, but the problem is for me that it felt so out of place, with a really gothic Gotham City, gothic Batman and this totally out of place character.

I love batman returns, its a brilliant film. I love DiVito's penguin and I love how all the characters, the styling and so forth was gothic, and dark. The tone of the film was very adult, which I liked. But the 89 batman, I just didnt think it worked. Joker was too cheesy in nicholsons performance for the gothic onset and the tone of the film.

Eitherway it doesnt matter. And its not a nicholson vs ledger debate at all. People take away from each performance what they like and thats the best thing, because its like the comics. Every interpretation is right in its own perspective and style.

The figure itself looks awsome.

Thats the beauty of it. Theres no true definitive joker, because each writer in the comics had their own spin, each actor will have their own spin. To be honest, I think part of my problem is Jack nicholson. He doesn't play a character, he plays himself. I watched the shinning on BBC2 one night, before I watched the batman film (X-files used to be on before it, back when television was great!), and through the film, all i saw Jack Torrance, then he played Jack Nappier/joker, I was expecting him to go 'heres johnny!' in the film.

its an iconic look, and I do love the style of Burton's Joker, but the problem is for me that it felt so out of place, with a really gothic Gotham City, gothic Batman and this totally out of place character.

I love batman returns, its a brilliant film. I love DiVito's penguin and I love how all the characters, the styling and so forth was gothic, and dark. The tone of the film was very adult, which I liked. But the 89 batman, I just didnt think it worked. Joker was too cheesy in nicholsons performance for the gothic onset and the tone of the film.

Eitherway it doesnt matter. And its not a nicholson vs ledger debate at all. People take away from each performance what they like and thats the best thing, because its like the comics. Every interpretation is right in its own perspective and style.

Have you watched "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest"? if not, you should give it a go(and About Schmidt SOOO GOOD!)

The Shining is one of my favorite films, that was one of Jack Nicholson's best performances in my opinion.

Most actor's act the same in most of there roles but I never felt that way about Jack, I really enjoy a lot of his films but the Joker will always be my first memory of him.

I first watched Batman when I was 2 or 3 years old at memorial of a family member, they stuck all of us kids in a room so we wouldn't bother anyone and it completely blew my mind. :lol

My favorite Nicholson film is split between One Flew Over and Easy Rider. The Joker is iconic for Jack but it certainly aint his best performance

Why are we discussing the Ledger Joker in this thread and comparing him, yet again, to the Jack Nicholson Joker. Doesn't Ledger Joker and The Dark Knight have enough threads?

It's old hat everywhere on this board as well as other message boards. Some people prefer one, some prefer the other, some love both. There's really no way to validate that one is better or "more accurate" than the other.

:clap:goodpost::clap

I agree.

Can't wait to see in hand pics of Joker.

Impossible you posted this today, I had the most massive deja vu I have ever had! WTF you seriously must have said this elsewhere on this board.

I know everyone likes to say "oh, Jack Nicholson is just playing himself, he ain't the Joker" but I don't think that's true.

He may not be as immersed and unrecognizable like Ledger was but he's definitely playing the Joker (though, that's debatable with Nicholson's scary prosthetic grin, especially when he has the flesh make up on).

The little mocks he does to Bob behind his back, dancing around bodies like a lunatic, talking to a dead corpse, most of his laughs, it's pure Joker. This guy wanted to wipe out Gotham and make his victims wear his face, what's not Joker about that? There may be a few times where you can see Jack Nicholson in there, like when he's Jack Napier, but for the most part, it's the Joker. I hate seeing that argument and yet, nobody mentions DeNiro playing Deniro, or Pesci playing Pesci. For awhile, even Bale seemed to be playing Bale in a lot of his films and there are dozens more. Pacino, Jim Carrey, Arnold, the list goes on.

The BEST example I can give would be the Joker commercial, what is "Jack Nicholson" about this?

[ame]https://youtu.be/SgCbegtw0JM[/ame]

Plus before Nicholson was cast in the role in 1988 he was always on people's list to "play the Joker". Everyone was saying how it's an obvious choice. Could it be that, perhaps Nicholson's personality is similar to the Jokers? Look at some of his other performances from before Batman, the Shining, One flew over the the Cuckoos nest, there was a reason Nicholson was attached to the project. Before the modern Batman films the consensus was that Nicholson couldn't be topped as the Joker now it seems like people want to easily write him off as "of his time" and nothing more.

Heath was good - no doubt, but Jack will always be THE Joker to me. Like DiFabio said, he was perfectly suited for the role, not just of his time - even some of his normal mannerisms are Joker-esque in nature.

..& I actually agree with the earlier comment about Ledger & the 'forced laugh' in some of the TDK scenes. It is annoying..

Batman and Batman Returns were probably two of my favorite movies growing up. Both Nicholson and Ledger did an amazing job with the role, but for me, Nicholson's version will always be my favorite. His performance still cracks me up - the Smylex commercial is one of my favorite scenes.

I know everyone likes to say "oh, Jack Nicholson is just playing himself, he ain't the Joker" but I don't think that's true.

He may not be as immersed and unrecognizable like Ledger was but he's definitely playing the Joker (though, that's debatable with Nicholson's scary prosthetic grin, especially when he has the flesh make up on).

The little mocks he does to Bob behind his back, dancing around bodies like a lunatic, talking to a dead corpse, most of his laughs, it's pure Joker. This guy wanted to wipe out Gotham and make his victims wear his face, what's not Joker about that? There may be a few times where you can see Jack Nicholson in there, like when he's Jack Napier, but for the most part, it's the Joker. I hate seeing that argument and yet, nobody mentions DeNiro playing Deniro, or Pesci playing Pesci. For awhile, even Bale seemed to be playing Bale in a lot of his films and there are dozens more. Pacino, Jim Carrey, Arnold, the list goes on.

The BEST example I can give would be the Joker commercial, what is "Jack Nicholson" about this?

https://youtu.be/SgCbegtw0JM

Plus before Nicholson was cast in the role in 1988 he was always on people's list to "play the Joker". Everyone was saying how it's an obvious choice. Could it be that, perhaps Nicholson's personality is similar to the Jokers? Look at some of his other performances from before Batman, the Shining, One flew over the the Cuckoos nest, there was a reason Nicholson was attached to the project. Before the modern Batman films the consensus was that Nicholson couldn't be topped as the Joker now it seems like people want to easily write him off as "of his time" and nothing more.

:exactly::goodpost::1-1:

Yeah definitely prefer Jack Nicholson Joker over the Nolan one. It reminds me more of the cartoon joker that really brought me into Batman.

That said from the older Batman movies the Batman (1989) is the one and only i truly love. Nolan has done nothing else than amazing job with the whole Batman franchise and the mood change from the older movies to Nola's is worth the joker change to fit more into the current movie universe, even if the joker's outer shell isn't the one that i imagine joker to be.

Well, you know Jack really loved playing the Joker and it showed. You can't help but laugh watching him play the role. There was humor, sadism, cleverness and a sense of style he had that hit all the right notes for the character. He even took it personally when he wasn't approached for the Nolan films.

All I did was cringe at Ledger's Joker. He wasn't funny at all, but that was what they were going for. They emphasized the sadism above everything else, but that version would not have been possible without the foundation Jack left. It was thought provoking and abit scarier, but it doesn't replace the old one for me.

With all the hardcore attention he garnered with the Joker, it makes me wonder if Heath would have spent the rest of his career trying to escape the shadow of his performance had he lived. He didn't come across like Nicholson, who lives it up in the spotlight. Might have OD'd on that alone.

Is Sideshow hinting that Joker is shipping soon? They bumped him up on their facebook twice.

"Wait until they get a load of me"

"You can call me . . . Joker, and as you can see, I'm a lot happier"

Or is that just a persuasive tactic to preorder?

Back