Hobbit : Character selection Poll

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which charactor(s) from the Hobbit you would buy for 12" action figure ??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not sure about rebooting. Superheroes movies can be rebooted thousand times: you got 2 or 3 pillars to keep (eg. Spider-bite, coming from Krypton with a ship) and then change everything. LOTR on the other hand has a detailed story PJ developed in more than 9 hours leaving out some things (Bombadil, Glorfindel, scorn of the Shire, some other minor stuff) and adding/changing not so much. I don't know...what's the point of another version?

Oh, it's got nothing to do with whether they should reboot them. They absolutely, positively, unequivocally shouldn't.

But studios always want the most money they can get. These days, all the major studios are just divisions within giant multi-national corporations and they require reliable cash flow for the mother companies. So the studios are leaning heavily on recognizable, familiar product that's easy to market. They've just spent the last 10+ years introducing the ticket-buying world to this universe -- to use their odious jargon ... "building a Middle-Earth brand" -- so you can bet they're not just going to walk away from it now.

To be crystal clear, I'm NOT advocating for this. I think it would be a god-awful thing to do. But it seems to have become the way things work in the industry now. It is a sad, sad state of affairs

In the war between Art and Commerce, Art never had a chance.

For the record I do not want them to reboot Lord of the Rings. I just stated that based on what movie studios seem to be doing that I wouldn't be surprised. Remember no one has rights to Tolkien's other works just the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings so a lot of potential stories are off the table leaving them with limited options.

Now while I do not want Lord of the Rings remade I wouldn't be turned off to an animated Hobbit more in line with the tone of book i.e. more little kid friendly. I would have loved to take my kids to the theaters to see the Hobbit and we have read the book but the movies are just too intense and graphic/grotesque for them to see in the theaters (at home with pause, fast forward and books showing how the CG and costumes are made changes things).

It isn't that nobody wants to buy the rights. It's that the estate won't sell them. Money's not their concern. Christopher Tolkien is more concerned about the literary legacy of his father and has many strong opinions about what that means in relation to film adaptations.

It isn't that nobody wants to buy the rights. It's that the estate won't sell them. Money's not their concern. Christopher Tolkien is more concerned about the literary legacy of his father and has many strong opinions about what that means in relation to film adaptations.

Yup. That pretty much sums it up. If I remember correctly from reading biographies on him in the past, at the time Tolkien sold the rights for the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings films he needed the money so he was more open to allowing them to make movies and make changes here and there. He has also said harsh things about movies too so it is hard to know what J.R.R. would do if he was alive and asked about rights to the Simarillion.

Which version of Azog do you want Asmus to make? Personally i would love the new armored look from the 3rd film. Also what version of Thorin would you prefer?

Yeah. I definitely need Dain on his war pig. dain.jpg

Back