1/6 Help. Hot Toys New Hope Darth Vader or Sideshow Return of Jedi Darth Vader?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think there has been a great ESB vader yet. The best I've seen have been a mish mash of the SSC and hot toys vaders. You'll at least need this sideshow versions chest box.

Yeah, if you can only have one Vader make it a HT version... it still has some issues; but they're minor in comparison and it just looks so much better on a shelf.

I did end up bashing together what I felt were the best parts of the original ANH and Deluxe Sideshow figures; the unaltered HT version still looks better but I was happy with the final result.

If you really want an ESB Vader, wait for Hot Toys to make one, skip Sideshow's ROTJ version.
If you want a Vader right now and don't mind that it's from a different movie, then get the Rogue One Vader if you can find one for retail or a little bit more.
If the Rogue One Vader is the same price as the ANH Vader, ask yourself if you can live with the gloves the way they are on the HT ANH Vader, if they bother you buy the Rogue One version. The light up saber and sounds the of ANH version will be cool the first time you use them but the pain of accessing the talking feature will cause you to abandon it quickly. The light up saber isn't too hard to access so you'll use it a couple of times but it will be off for much of the time you have it displayed. The ANH Vader also has the interrogator droid which looks cool by his side.
The choice between available Vaders right now is Hot Toys ANH vs. Hot Toys Rogue One.

Help. Hot Toys New Hope Darth Vader or Sideshow Return of Jedi Darth Vader?

Ive decided to get myself a Darth Vader 1/6 or 12inch figure. I cant afford a premium format. He will be displayed with the 6 Bounty Hunters by Sideshow. What is the better version Hot Toys a New Hope figure or Sideshows Return of the Jedi figure?

ANy help would be appreciated, as Ive read forums and heard arguements for both sides but mostly people talking about how they combine them both lol. I can only afford one so interested in peoples opinions if they could only get one, which one would it be?

Thanks for any help offered :)

Well, the Sideshow ROTJ Vader Ver.2 is one of their best offerings. The attractive thing is the price combined with Sideshow's monthly discount. For $225 shipped you have a nice figure that impressively towers over the bounty hunters. The pro's? Nice hands, especially the ones that hold the belt boxes, a tight body, the new suit is well stitched fits and looks great. The cape also drapes very nicely. The electronics on the belt and chest works perfectly, so much so that I use it on display quite often. The cons? The headsculpt has a slightly too small dome and oversized mouth.

If you can find either Hot Toys Vader, and don't care that they are specific to Rogue One or ANH, out of the box both are great figures. I had the Rogue One version, (took the parts I needed to upgrade the Sideshow, and sold the rest of it). The Pros? Better proportioned headsculpt, though it can look "insect like" from above, awesome articulation, incredible paint work especially on the metallic portions of the chest and helmet. The cons? Very difficult to work with electronics, and loose hips and ankles. The shin armor did not fit the curvature of the lower leg that well.

What I did was essentially modify the Hot Toys head to to better resemble the ESB version and mated it to the larger Sideshow body. I made a conscious decision to have a taller Vader figure, and combined the best of Hot Toys and Sideshow to get what i wanted now, without waiting on Hot Toys to release their ESB version. I also searched Ebay and found the Hot Toys Interrogation Droid, and Sideshow Deluxe Vader helmet display and Anakin portrait to complete my project.

If you can find the Rogue One or ANH Vader at a reasonable price, I'd suggest you get it. If not, the Sideshow is a worthy alternative if you aren't a picky accuracy nut and can live with the Sideshow headsculpt, and taller height. The artist Larocca used the Sideshow figure as a template during his run on Marvel's Vader comic.....so the Sideshow figure is accurate rendition to the Marvel comic run:)

Just my 2 cents and perspective from having owned both figures.

BOBBY

Last edited:
I recently replaced my Sideshow deluxe Vader (still have parts of it I need to sell) with the Hot Toys ANH Vader..and man oh man it's such a huge improvement. Even with the superior suit of the newer Sideshow one, it just doesn't compare. I'm one of the rare fans that prefers the original Vader look..with the less shinier pieces and different helmet design. The high gloss look of all the other Vader's don't appeal to me. The capes on the SSC ones do drape better, but the quality isn't as good. But if you remove the wires off of the tunic (which is super easy & doesn't require you to cut any threads or damage it in any way) and add some double-sided tape, you can achieve a natural look. But since your using it as an Empire Vader, the Sideshow ROTJ is your best bet. But like how others have said, maybe you should wait for Hot Toys to come out with there superior version. Or if you don't mind having two different Vader's in your collection, get the ANH one then get the ESB one when HT makes it.

Being an artist, super OCD, perfectionist & an all around keen eye for spotting things that others can't (my credentials - but then again everyone is an expert/has a different perspective), from all the research I've been doing lately, the SSC dome does seem to be more accurately scaled to it's ESB/ROTJ counterparts than the HT ANH dome is to its. Sounds retardedly shocking; but doing scaled up measurements on blu ray (standard ratio) shoots....it seems the HT ANH one is deffiently more large/wide than the SSC one is too tiny/pintched. Even though at a lot of angles the Hot Toys one slightly has that Dark Helmet, goofy bobble head look going on; I still prefer it by far over the SSC one.

Back