Help/advice Ebay must i sell to the winner?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is kind of like asking "my high big was too high, I didn't think it would actually end that high, do I have to pay?" Unfortunately yes.

Buy it now or best offer otherwise deal with it. I have sold customs for less then I put into making it and that doesnt even count the labor! its a _____ but you win some you lose some

Hey thanks everyone for your advice i done the right thing in the end and accepted the payment.
Just want to say encase you got a bad impression of me im not a shadey dealer or a non selling seller im just a little inexperienced and still learning about selling on ebay.
Im looking forward to meeting the all the requirements needed to sell here on this site 2 my fellow freaks.

Way to go, bro. You did the right thing. :hi5:

I didn't see you as a shady seller, just an inexperienced one asking for help. :D

Anyone who has sold on eBay has went through something like this at one time of another. I know I did.

Just live and learn. Good Luck in your future sales! :rock

Hey thanks everyone for your advice i done the right thing in the end and accepted the payment.
Just want to say encase you got a bad impression of me im not a shadey dealer or a non selling seller im just a little inexperienced and still learning about selling on ebay.
Im looking forward to meeting the all the requirements needed to sell here on this site 2 my fellow freaks.

Good call.

SnakeDoc

If you plan to continue selling items on eBay then you did the right thing. Even though you didn't get the value you felt you should have, chalk it up to the cost of doing business and a learning experience.

Between this and other forums, sellers can get a negative reputation very quickly and that's the last thing you want if you plan to continue selling items. You could go the route of starting another eBay account like you mentioned, but savvy, long-timer eBay users are going to tend to stay away from sellers with smaller feedback number. Which might be part of the reason you didn't get that many bids to begin with.

You may have lost lost money on this one transaction, but doing the right thing by your customer usually leads to repeat business. In the end that should be your goal. Keep your customers happy and keep them coming back.

As this auction has only just taken place, the buyer has not yet paid, I assume. If that is the case what did your auction state? Pay within ??? days. If he doesn't pay within that time period you may be off the hook.

Other than that, you say you overstated the shipping costs. So you are entitled to still charge that shipping cost regardless of the actual cost of shipping. So you at least may have made some dollars that way.

Well, this situation wasn't a great thing to show off your selling ability. You didn't follow the most simple rule: Don't list something for sale at a price you wouldn't let it go for. Sure you started low so you'd have low ebay fees, but if you werent' willing to let it go for that opening price, then you should have sucked it up and paid more ebay fees or include a reserve. You have nobody to blame but yourself. If you put yourself in the buyer's shoes, wouldn't you expect to seller to come through, even if you got the deal of the century? I know I would. Thats why I sell and treat anyone I deal with how I would want to be treated as a buyer.

Just be glad the buyer seemed like a reasonable guy. Just keep an eye on your feedback, he still might leave you neutral or even negative. And as a new Ebayer your feedback is CRITICAL. Its not just something you can brush off as being no big deal. And if you don't take it seriously, you could rack up a bunch of negatives and get banned from ebay. And they might even ban your IP so you could easily open a new account. Remember, ebay is a serious business, not a game to be played.

Well, this situation wasn't a great thing to show off your selling ability. You didn't follow the most simple rule: Don't list something for sale at a price you wouldn't let it go for. Sure you started low so you'd have low ebay fees, but if you werent' willing to let it go for that opening price, then you should have sucked it up and paid more ebay fees or include a reserve. You have nobody to blame but yourself. If you put yourself in the buyer's shoes, wouldn't you expect to seller to come through, even if you got the deal of the century? I know I would. Thats why I sell and treat anyone I deal with how I would want to be treated as a buyer.

Just be glad the buyer seemed like a reasonable guy. Just keep an eye on your feedback, he still might leave you neutral or even negative. And as a new Ebayer your feedback is CRITICAL. Its not just something you can brush off as being no big deal. And if you don't take it seriously, you could rack up a bunch of negatives and get banned from ebay. And they might even ban your IP so you could easily open a new account. Remember, ebay is a serious business, not a game to be played.

"Remember, ebay is a serious business, not a game to be played"

I appreciate your advice but i don't like your tone, unlike everyone else so far who gave me advice in a friendly manner.
I feel bad enough already for the loss i have made but also good that i ended up doing the right thing and that in the long run i will actually end up benefiting from this in knowledge.
..i asked for help and advice.. not to be lectured.

Last edited:
Hello, his name is buttmunch. :) But really, he makes a great point. You did do the right thing and it's a great early lesson. It could have been a custom figure that cost you $150 to make and sold for $60-I know.

Hello, his name is buttmunch. :) But really, he makes a great point. You did do the right thing and it's a great early lesson. It could have been a custom figure that cost you $150 to make and sold for $60-I know.

Ya he does make a good point but i still don't like his tone ..i learned my lesson many pages back as you all know and all 4 the better.

Back