EBay...am I about to get scammed...as the seller!?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darthrazz

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I sold something on EBay , starting bid was $45.00. The buyer just sent me this message:

"Im brand new to Ebay and have been trying to retract my bid for several days. I just understand that it is probably too late now, but the process was so confusing and frustrating and I can t seem to get eBay to help me in any way. I meant to bid 4.50 to start with- I know this is low but it was going to be my first bid ever. Is there any way I can cancel my order?"

I never checked on the bidder, ( my bad) but noticed after the auction they had zero feedback . The person who contacted me has a different Ebay Id than the person who won the bid, they also have zero feedback.

Starting bid was $45.00 , so no way they could bid $4.50

What do I do here? I have a feeling I'm about to get scammed. This is why I hate Ebay!!!

I'd say:
(1) Ignore the zero feedback person who PM'd. Whether it's the same person who placed the bid or not doesn't matter; they didn't PM you from bidding eBay account. Best not to inquire about it in case they are trying to scam you.
(2) If the bidder doesn't pay in two days, file a non-payment claim so Ebay doesn't charge you listing and final value fees.

Last edited:
I'd say:
(1) Ignore the zero feedback person who PM'd. Whether it's the same person who placed the bid or not doesn't matter; they didn't PM you from bidding eBay account. Best not to inquire about it in case they are trying to scam you.
(2) If the bidder don't pay in two days, file a non-payment claim so Ebay doesn't charge you listing and final value fees.

The winning bid was from Colorado, the email was from Nevada. Lets just say that the name the winner is "John Doe". The eBay Id of the person who sent me the message has "john doe" in their ID name AND they signed the email "Thanks, John Doe"!

I think I'm being played.

That sounds strange. Which state is on the registered PayPal address? Also, is the address verified?

The beauty on the seller side is you really don't get scammed as long as someone sends you money. Worst case is they don't pay, you file a complaint, and relist. Although this can get really annoying when you have to do this 2 or 3 times for the same item.

But it's a lot more difficult to get scammed as the seller than the buyer.

Colorado.

From what you describe, just take it like they want out of the bid. So, for now, wait two days and file a claim if they don't pay. Make sure to do it through Ebay, so customer service can read the messages. But, if they do pay, then ship to the PayPal address. And do the usual: like upload a tracking number for proof of delivery, and insure the package.

I'm not really sure if it's a scam, though. You really could be dealing with a complete noob, or someone who has multiple addresses. There's no telling with someone who doesn't have a prior transaction history!

Sounds like a confused noob. My mother went on eBay and accidentally ordered 5 shovels instead of just 1. I asked how that's even possible and she didn't know what she did wrong LOL. I had to straighten it all out with the seller who fortunately was very cool. I'd just cancel the winning bid and re list.

all of this over a $45 item? He prolly wont pay anyways, so I'm not sure why you think your being scammed. Or just agree to cancel the deal and relist it.

I'm not sure how they could scam you. They simply want to back out of the auction, it doesn't sound like they plan to pay anything anyway. There's no way in this reality they can make a case to eBay to get the item for the price thought they put in either. Just start the process to get your final value fee credited back and relist. Or send a second chance offer to the next highest bidder if there was one.

I just had dealings with a confused eBay newb who bid on and won my IM figure auction on Sunday. He claimed he was bidding on two identical items and accidentally bid on mine at the last minute and won both.

I simply cancelled his bid due to nonpayment and was refunded my fees. A hassle but he had zero feedback and seemed genuinely sorry.

Back