Hellboy 3 - We want it!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hellboy 3 - Perlman still fights for it! - Let's also underline our interest!

well Ron did complain that the make up time was really hard on him, That was the reason that hellboy 3 didn't sound like it was possible before. He had a hard time with the make ups

For all I know you could be right, but I heard rumors that GDT and Mignola had a little falling out during production, and also that Mignola is hesitant to let the movie series deal with certain plot points he plans on using for the end of the comic series.

But again, that's all 3rd hand info, at best.

Re: Hellboy 3 - Perlman still fights for it! - Let's also underline our interest!

well Ron did complain that the make up time was really hard on him, That was the reason that hellboy 3 didn't sound like it was possible before. He had a hard time with the make ups

I remember seeing an interview, and Ron said something along the lines of, the make up was hell to endure with. He didn't wanna be put through that in the next year or two. However, given enough rest time, he would be up for a third one. Just not immediately.

That's interesting, didn't know that yet!

Think if age or difficult make ups could be a problem they could still do some parts with cgi at this time, shouldn't be impossible imo.

Hellboy III Would Happen,
Except Hollywood Won't Give Guillermo Del Toro Any Money

O689mJI.png

Wsxk7e4.jpg

Just read through the AMA on him and that part was a shame to hear. Here's the full run down on what he said:

Question: I am a huge fan of your work, thank you for taking the time to do this!! Couple Questions: Any Hellboy 3 details you can share?!

Toro: Well, you know, we don't have that movie on the horizon, but the idea for it was to have Hellboy finally come to terms with the fact that his destiny, his inevitable destiny, is to become the beast of the Apocalypse, and having him and Liz face the sort of, that part of his nature, and he has to do it, in order to be able to ironically vanquish the foe that he has to face in the 3rd film. He has to become the best of the Apocalypse to be able to defend humanity, but at the same time he becomes a much darker being. It's a very interesting ending to the series, but I don't think it will happen.

Reply: I am utterly confused. Why on earth do you not want to make Hellboy 3? There's such a clamoring for it, and you clearly have an amazing concept in mind, so why not make it? Especially with Ron Perlman chomping at the bit as well?

Toro: It is a question that I myself ask of the world many times, but we have gone through basically every studio and asked for financing, and they are not interested. I think that the first movie made its budget back, and a little bit of profit, but then it was very very big on video and DVD. The story repeated itself with the second already, it made its money back at the box office, but a small margin of profit in the release of the theatrical print, but was very very big on DVD and video. Sadly now from a business point of view all the studios know is that you don't have that safety net of the DVD and video, so they view the project as dangerous.
Creatively, I would love to make it. Creatively. But it is proven almost impossible to finance. Not from MY side, but from the studio side. If I was a multimillionaire, I would finance it myself, but I spend all my money on rubber monsters.

That sucks if so...

Toro: Well, you know, we don't have that movie on the horizon, but the idea for it was to have Hellboy finally come to terms with the fact that his destiny, his inevitable destiny, is to become the beast of the Apocalypse, and having him and Liz face the sort of, that part of his nature, and he has to do it, in order to be able to ironically vanquish the foe that he has to face in the 3rd film. He has to become the best of the Apocalypse to be able to defend humanity, but at the same time he becomes a much darker being. It's a very interesting ending to the series, but I don't think it will happen.

What a great concept, this is a movie I'd very much like to see!!!

Sad day for all us DelToro Hellboy fans. :(

That truly sounded like the ultimative great ending the movies would have deserved to become an epic trilogy instead of remaining unfinished.
So many bad movies that are beeing financed and they gain profit just because of enough promotion and then there is a director that is so much different with so much more interesting ideas compared to others and the bankrollers ignore the chance...
Really hope somebody picks it up and ends up making a fortune so that all who ignored it will feel pissed, kind of like the publishers who didn't wanna publish Harry Potter back then.

Toro: I think that the first movie made its budget back, and a little bit of profit, but then it was very very big on video and DVD. The story repeated itself with the second already, it made its money back at the box office, but a small margin of profit in the release of the theatrical print, but was very very big on DVD and video. Sadly now from a business point of view all the studios know is that you don't have that safety net of the DVD and video, so they view the project as dangerous..

I'm curious what's changed in the last few years that they don't have the 'safety net' of DVD and home video sales.

I'm curious what's changed in the last few years that they don't have the 'safety net' of DVD and home video sales.

Good question, specially for such great and so much different movies imo there are always enough people wanting to buy releases to have it at home. Not one of my friends who likes Hellboy doesn't have HB1 and 2 as DVD, Blu-ray or both versions at home.
Then it would also be a trilogy they'd create with it so they could make people buy new box sets with special features and that said, of course in the time while Hellboy 3 would be promoted, also Hellboy 1 and 2 releases would have raising sales again. Really don't get it and can't imagine a single second it wouldn't pay.

Re: Hellboy 3 - I'd love to see it! - What do you think?

Proof the world is full of morons. Transformers makes billions of dollars... Hellboy can't even make enough to get a third movie.
I've always considered Hellboy to be 'the little CBM that could'... sadly this just isn't true.

Why won't Del Toro turn to Kickstarter? Why the hell did NO ONE ask him this in the Q&A?
Don't underestimate the power of fans... Veronica Mars got a movie from it.

Why won't Del Toro turn to Kickstarter? Why the hell did NO ONE ask him this in the Q&A?

Hellboy does not belong to GDT so he cannot kickstart it. Also Veronica Mars raised about 1 million I think? GDT needs 150 million. Massive difference.

Proof the world is full of morons. Transformers makes billions of dollars... Hellboy can't even make enough to get a third movie.
I've always considered Hellboy to be 'the little CBM that could'... sadly this just isn't true.

that was asked, He didnt answer but another fan put it this way
The biggest kickstarter project was 10 million, never anyhing bigger has been done in that site.
Veronica Mars was 5 million.
Hellboy 3 would need at least 80 million, there is just no way that they would make that on donations alone

Last edited:

Actually the first time in my life that I hate not beeing a multimillionaire. :lol I mean honestly, I loved the movies, if I had the funds I'd found a studio and say: Here you go, now make it happen!

Where is the risk? If a wealthy Hellboy fan would invest that, he would get back at least what he invested but probably even more and that funding something he and many others love, so as a bonus, he would always be renowned by all Hellboy fans.

I know it all sounds a little far fetched but then again, that is the kind of miracle this epic final sequel would need and that's also the kind of miracle millions would talk about, that would be the best publicity you can imagine, spreading in social media as hell so the success would even more be likely.

Think that's sadly not how the studios think.​

Last edited:

I'm sure the money will help him through the difficult times.......:lol

Actually the first time in my life that I hate not beeing a multimillionaire. :lol I mean honestly, I loved the movies, if I had the funds I'd found a studio and say: Here you go, now make it happen!

Where is the risk? If a wealthy Hellboy fan would invest that, he would get back at least what he invested but probably even more and that funding something he and many others love, so as a bonus, he would always be renowned by all Hellboy fans.

I know it all sounds a little far fetched but then again, that is the kind of miracle this epic final sequel would need and that's also the kind of miracle millions would talk about, that would be the best publicity you can imagine, spreading in social media as hell so the success would even more be likely.

Think that's sadly not how the studios think.​

But that's kind of the point, There really aren't that many Hellboy fanboys. I am sure a lot of people like the comic but not as many like the movie.

And even less of that would want to donate to make the movie.

even if 500 thousand fans donated, it still wouldn't be enough

But that's kind of the point, There really aren't that many Hellboy fanboys. I am sure a lot of people like the comic but not as many like the movie.

And even less of that would want to donate to make the movie.

even if 500 thousand fans donated, it still wouldn't be enough

That's not exactly what I ways saying, I don't think that a donation by multiple fans or crowdfunding would work in this case either, I just think there wouldn't be a real risk for somebody (a studio or a private investor) to fund this (not saying I see this happening), just the studios prpbably see more potential in less creative things, so that's what they invest their funds and time in. In a way understandable but still sad. I actually think there are more people who saw the movies than people reading the comics.

From what I read, that's how the numbers look like:

2004 Hellboy
Production costs around $66 million, earned around $100 million

2008 Hellboy II: The Golden Army
Production costs around $85 million, earned around $160 million

So for the next Hellboy I don't think there would be a downwards trend, so maybe it's not interesting enough for a big studio but in times where rich people don't know what to invest their money in, I think this would be a far less risky investment compared to other things, that's what I wanted to say.

20?? Hellboy III: Hypothetic
Production costs estimated at around $150 million, would earn ???

Mignola could sign the rights off to Disney then we can get a HB movie every 2 years :lol

20?? Hellboy III: Hypothetic
Production costs estimated at around $150 million, would earn ???

that was something that fans and some people were saying,

That how come Guillermo was not trying to find a way to make the movie for 80 million, or 75. That instead of a huge spectacle with a lot of special effects that maybe he could try to make the movie smaller and not as big.

Some people are asking how come he doesn't try to make the story smaller and have less sets made for it.

Hellboy III Would Happen,
Except Hollywood Won't Give Guillermo Del Toro Any Money

O689mJI.png

Wsxk7e4.jpg

The sad thing about that is that a few upcoming CBMs don't have an audience waiting for it. Hey have to build an audience with marketing like GOTG. But HBIII doesn't have that problem

Back