HBO's Boardwalk Empire

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loved Eli beating Tolliver to death. Loved it. I was a bit worried that Eli might die. I am gutted Richard's dead. The best character on the show.

I was actually worried he might kill Eli, then as the tables turned I was screaming 'Kill him!!!', then I was hoping he'd smash the guy's face in like Irreversible and Drive. I would post a link to a clip but it is actually disgusting.

Most memorable fight on tv for me is still Dan Vs The Captain from Deadwood. Very realistic and absolutely brutal.

Also thought Narcisse being brought low by Hoover's dirty tricks was great. You can just feel how distasteful it is for Narcisse to have to say "yes, sir" to Hoover.

:exactly:

That's why I don't get people saying they were disappointed that he lived!? That right there is worse than death for him. :lol

Yep, I agree it would have been too expected had Richard killed Narcisse and then gotten away as he always has in the past. He's killed too many people at that point and is pretty much a broken man. I didn't like that they killed him off but it made sense and was a powerful end to a really memorable character. Really liked the way they brought Jimmy into it and got justice for the poor schmuck who had the bad luck to look like him. Also thought Narcisse being brought low by Hoover's dirty tricks was great. You can just feel how distasteful it is for Narcisse to have to say "yes, sir" to Hoover.

:goodpost::exactly:I agree great end for richard....otherwise chalky would have had to hunt and kill him...ha.....shame that for an exceptional killer he had to end with that error:monkey2....great finale...I screamed at my television several times.

I wasnt happy to see Richard go, but it a was a good death.

I guess that's my problem with it, I don't think it was a good death. He screwed up and put a bullet through Chalky's daughter's head, got shot running away and died alone under a pier. Yeah, it's touching that he hallucinated having a whole face as he died, but it was just a bummer to me. I know this isn't the happy smile time show, but I thought that character deserved better.

He screwed up and put a bullet through Chalky's daughter's head, got shot running away and died alone under a pier.

The reason he hesitated was because he wasn't a cold-blooded killer anymore. He changed. He had a wife and kid who loved him and new life waiting for him far beyond Atlantic City. So him dying under the pier was fitting; he couldn't escape the Boardwalk. And in the end, he died alone.. yeah. But he was happy. Something he hadn't been for years (possibly ever) before Julia and Tommy.

:exactly:

That's why I don't get people saying they were disappointed that he lived!? That right there is worse than death for him. :lol
Exactly, such a prideful man being made a lacky to Hoover and a traitor to Garvey. It really would have to be a bitter feeling, indeed. Look forward to seeing how it plays out next season.

I guess that's my problem with it, I don't think it was a good death. He screwed up and put a bullet through Chalky's daughter's head, got shot running away and died alone under a pier. Yeah, it's touching that he hallucinated having a whole face as he died, but it was just a bummer to me. I know this isn't the happy smile time show, but I thought that character deserved better.
I don't see how it could've been better, considering how the character evolved this season. We've already seen 'ruthless perfect killing machine' Richard, so it made sense to me that eventually we'd see him make a mistake. Earlier in the season he couldn't even bring himself to kill the dog. He'd had enough but thought he'd do one last to save Tommy from Gillian (and I think because he wanted a proper burial for Jimmy). I thought the way it all went wrong was quite believable. The guilt he would've felt for having frozen-up and killed Chalky's daughter would've been unbearable. As soon as that happened, I figured he'd kill himself if he didn't get shot by someone else.

From his conversation with Tommy and Julia, it seemed pretty clear he didn't think he was going to make it back to the farm. Don't know if it was intentional, but it reminded me a lot of Jimmy's last conversation with Richard, where they both knew Jimmy was going to his death. Personally, I thought it was appropriately tragic. The imagery of his mask in the sand and his hallucination were quite affecting. Very, very sad, but with a lot of impact.

The reason he hesitated was because he wasn't a cold-blooded killer anymore. He changed. He had a wife and kid who loved him and new life waiting for him far beyond Atlantic City. So him dying under the pier was fitting; he couldn't escape the Boardwalk. And in the end, he died alone.. yeah. But he was happy. Something he hadn't been for years (possibly ever) before Julia and Tommy.
This is something I think the show doesn't let the characters forget. There's no escaping all the violence these guys have unleashed on one another and basically everyone 'has it coming'. That in mind, even though I wanted a happy ending for Richard, I don't think there's any way realistically he was going to get one.

I know why he hesitated, his reluctance to kill anymore was pretty well established. I can't imagine why he would've been happy bleeding out under that pier knowing he had a wife and child who loved him waiting for him. I think that hallucination or dream sequence or whatever you want to call it was done to make a bitter pill easier to swallow for the audiience more than to show Richard was at peace.

By fluke, found an interview from Rolling Stone with Jack Huston (Richard Harrow) that confirms a few things. IMO, they nailed Harrow's exit.

I know why he hesitated, his reluctance to kill anymore was pretty well established. I can't imagine why he would've been happy bleeding out under that pier knowing he had a wife and child who loved him waiting for him. I think that hallucination or dream sequence or whatever you want to call it was done to make a bitter pill easier to swallow for the audiience more than to show Richard was at peace.
I think you're really underestimating how shooting Chalky's daughter would've affected him. Don't think he ever could've looked at Tommy or felt he deserved a happy life with family after he'd made that mistake. Think you're dead wrong on that.

By fluke, found an interview from Rolling Stone with Jack Huston (Richard Harrow) that confirms a few things. IMO, they nailed Harrow's exit.

I think you're really underestimating how shooting Chalky's daughter would've affected him. Don't think he ever could've looked at Tommy or felt he deserved a happy life with family after he'd made that mistake. Think you're dead wrong on that.

I agree....richard came across as a very honerable man....killing chalky's daughter, a woman, an innocent....I would dare to say that he didn't even try to save himself....the wound was probably mortal but he clearly bled out....he was dead by the morning...

Thanks for the link.

It's funny that they mention that scene with the scrapbook. I remember that scene from so long ago, and I just thought "Okay, that's super creepy". . . now, in context, understanding who Richard is, I feel so guilty for looking at him in that light at the beginning.

Figured it would.

It's a slow show, but it is one of my favorites. I love the attention to detail. Everything looks authentic to the period.

Another of my favourite shows that's ending. Dexter, Breaking Bad, True Blood, Boardwalk Empire...hopefully some interesting new shows will pop up this year :pray:

True Detective this weekend!!

There's a curiosity factor to True Detective that's likely to keep me watching. The fact that it's sort of a crime anthology makes me curious what the future will hold; particularly when the first self-contained story they're doing has McConaughey and Harrelson in the spotlight. I love the genre, and, so far, the first episode seems to be getting some rave reviews, but, like I said, I'm just curious to see what sort of talent they'll draw in for season 2, and so on, and so forth, if it takes off. Every trailer I've seen has me hyped, though, but, as far as Boardwalk goes, I'm actually still getting caught up on the current season.

Back