HBO: The Last of Us

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay. No spoilers and coming at this from a perspective of someone who knows nothing about the game.

I enjoyed it.

I came at this out of interest to see Pedro Pascal in something other than Mando. The fact that some folks who had something to do with the game were involved and others had worked on the Chernobyl series also piqued my interest. That series was extremely well-produced, written and acted. Not melodramatic or riddled with cliches. Not to mention, that series had another powerhouse performance from Stellan Skarsgård who so recently wow'd in Andor. So it was with that pedigree that I figured despite the fact this show would be traveling over extremely well-trodden ground (post-apocalyptic plague ridden wrecked society, road picture with weapons, kid sidekick for reluctant hero etc) this could prove to be something worth checking out.

Heck it HAD to be better than the complete trashfest that Marvel, DC and Lucasfilm have been puking out (with the notable exception of Andor) so I figured I'd give the first episode a go.

When I'd read the Pedro had been cast, my first thought was it was "name casting" - putting someone in a role because they are currently "it". And while that may have indeed on some of the executive's minds, it proved to be an excellent choice. Pedro owns the screen when he's on. He has a great presence that is reminding me of how cool it was to watch folks like Kurt Russell in the Carpenter movies or Eastwood in about anything. He's much more than just a slice of marquee here...he can ACT. The rest of the cast hold their own. A lot of women and a variety of folk, but it comes across naturally in the vein of Andor or Rogue One. The actors fit the parts and aren't just walking checkmarks on the inclusion role. It works.

The production is great looking and well-assembled. It moved at a good clip...I didn't feel the 90 minute runtime.

So...it's hooked me for now. It's just cool to see a genre piece that doesn't have me reaching for the remote in exasperation 20 minutes in.

It's in that sweet 85% familiarity spot. It's got enough of the game that I'm satisfied with it being true to source, but they've done a good job of taking the "game" time and converting it to television narrative. It leaves enough difference that I remained on board even though I knew where it was going.

If this succeeds I think we might finally see some honest adaptations of games, finally.

It's undeniably good - writing, acting, production value... everything.

But having played the original game about 8 times (and clearly loving it), I didn't feel a thing watching the show. It felt like a super-long director's cut of a film.

It's weird, I can't really properly describe why I feel so ambivalent about it, but I was just thinking to myself, I'd rather go and buy/play the new PS5 remaster.

Hopefully it grabs me later?

The one bit I absolutely loved, was the 1968 stuff at the beginning (obviously not in the game) - GREAT way to start the series.

Saying all that, I really hope that those that have never played/seen the game (or know the story in any way) enjoy the same level of impact the game has had on me and millions of others.

Was super skeptical having played the game every time an updated version was released and then again before playing TLOU2, but wow! Absolutely loved the first episode. Even though I sort of knew what was going to happen (or at leas the events/direction things would take), I still got emotional. I thought the runtime was going to feel like an eternity for one episode, but it just flew by. This isn't one I'm going to be able to sit on and binge later. Really looking forward to every Sunday now.

Last edited:
The closer the air date came the more eager I was to watch it.

I'm thirty minutes in and really liking it.

As with other instances of things re-imagined I can get on board with it being the same story told from another viewpoint, wherein not everyone perceives the same events identically, nor remembers them perfectly.

The series is getting IMDB ratings similar to the game, so which 1/6 company is going to come out with TV versions of the characters? I'd be up for that, because I'll take anything in 1/6 connected to this world.

[...]

The series is getting IMDB ratings similar to the game, so which 1/6 company is going to come out with TV versions of the characters? I'd be up for that, because I'll take anything in 1/6 connected to this world.
I was curious and thinking about this as well as though I'd want some pretty good quality ones. Not looking for Redman or YoungRich quality :lol But the show made me even more eager for LimToy's game versions to come out, too. But after that first episode and if it continues to be pretty good, I'm sure I'd like both where as I originally thought I'd pass on anything live-action related.

Last edited:
I was curious and thinking about this as well as though I'd want some pretty good quality ones. Not looking for Redman or YoungRich quality :lol But the show made me even more eager for LimToy's game versions to come out, too. But after that first episode and if it continues to be pretty good, I'm sure I'd like both where as I originally thought I'd pass on anything live-action related.

When I saw the ratings for this episode I even wondered if Howard would see profit in a TMS line. But Hot Toys would probably end up only releasing one figure. :lol

As for the episode itself, the stumbling girl looked like she could be a young Bella Ramsey. For a little while I was certain they'd incorporated a bit of the American Dreams comic series to show Ellie's back story and bring in Riley before the Left Behind flashback scenes.

The game was successful in hitting emotional notes through the acting, and the TV show is pretty much matching it so far.

First episode was great. Loved the opening.
Yeah that opening scene with John Hannah was brilliant.

It's undeniably good - writing, acting, production value... everything.

But having played the original game about 8 times (and clearly loving it), I didn't feel a thing watching the show. It felt like a super-long director's cut of a film.

It's weird, I can't really properly describe why I feel so ambivalent about it, but I was just thinking to myself, I'd rather go and buy/play the new PS5 remaster.
Really liked the first episode but it felt a little bit too glossy and Hollywood compared to the game. Wondering if they should have added some grain to the image.

It's in that sweet 85% familiarity spot. It's got enough of the game that I'm satisfied with it being true to source, but they've done a good job of taking the "game" time and converting it to television narrative. It leaves enough difference that I remained on board even though I knew where it was going.

If this succeeds I think we might finally see some honest adaptations of games, finally.
There have been a few great video game adaptations in the last few years.

Castlevania (10/10 must watch)
Sonic 1 & 2
Arcane
Cyberpunk Edgerunners

The trailer didn't grab my interest and I'm not generally a fan of post apocalyptic stuff but if its as good as you're all saying I might give it a shot when I get the chance.

Very much enjoyed it, I feel like I need to get 2-3 episodes in before I really form a final opinion on it though this episode was terrific. I was really tense watching the first half with the outbreak even though I knew what was going to happen. The backstory with Sarah was powerful. All cast are great, Pedro Pascal sounded more like Elvis than Joel to me but overall very much looking forward to the next episode. Kind of wish they'd kept the spores, though.

Well it is widely regarded as one of the best stories ever told in video games.

If you haven't played the game it would definitely be worth watching.

I did Google the game. Found out a few bits but nothing to spoil anything for me. It was mostly just really positive reviews and such.
A lot of people referencing how good the story is.
I did come across big drama about the 2nd game but not being familiar with either game it didn't make much sense so I left them to it.
So even though what I've seen of the show through the trailer didn't seem anything remarkable, the amount of positive reviews and buzz around the show, I'll probably give it a go.

Kind of wish they'd kept the spores, though.

Read about the spores when looking at reviews of the game.
Love that idea. Based on a real life fungus who's spores effect ants in that way is just horrifying. Great concept for a horror story. I'm actually a little disappointed the spores idea isn't in the show. I'd have liked to have seen that idea realised.
Oh well. What is used in the show instead? Is it still a fungus related thing?

Back