HBO: The Last of Us

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw this mock-up posted on Facebook...

148666640_10220531581465589_713660941542919399_n.jpg

:google

People saying what is the point of the show? Well there is a much larger television audience than gaming audience. People who have never heard of the game will watch the series. It's a whole new market.

Casting seems okay. They don't necessarily have to make them carbon copies of the game characters. Most video game franchises are changed in some way when they are made into live action. Resident Evil having a whole new lead character with Alice and the new MK film will have an entirely new lead character also.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Something about that lol girl kinda scares me

When she turned up in His Dark Materials I thought she looked odd, and had forgotten she was in Game of Thrones as well.

It's not a face I'd associate with Ellie, which was initially Ellen Page in my mind. Now Ellen's an Elliot...

I'd rather they'd have made a clean break and gone for someone like Sasha Lane instead.

Just saw this mock-up posted on Facebook...

148666640_10220531581465589_713660941542919399_n.jpg

:google
I've seen some other mock-ups including this one, I don't think they'll have them wearing the iconic outfits straight from the game, maybe for an episode and they'll probably look different, they honestly should since Pascal and Ramsey look nothing like the game counterparts so they might as well try shaping new and different versions of the characters rather than just put them in cosplay and have them read the same lines.

People saying what is the point of the show? Well there is a much larger television audience than gaming audience. People who have never heard of the game will watch the series. It's a whole new market.

Casting seems okay. They don't necessarily have to make them carbon copies of the game characters. Most video game franchises are changed in some way when they are made into live action. Resident Evil having a whole new lead character with Alice and the new MK film will have an entirely new lead character also.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Well the first game has sold over 20 million copies with millions more watching playthroughs and movie edits on youtube, I wouldn't downplay the popularity of these characters and story and how attached people are to them, it is true that a TV show will bring in more people to the franchise but it's not something like Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead where the books were fairly unknown until the TV adaptations came along.

I think what strikes me most about the casting is how safe it is, they're not really taking a big risk casting Pascal in the lead role, like none at all, it would've been more bold of them to find some unknown faces to play the parts than these two and the other actors people were throwing around for that matter.

When she turned up in His Dark Materials I thought she looked odd, and had forgotten she was in Game of Thrones as well.

It's not a face I'd associate with Ellie, which was initially Ellen Page in my mind. Now Ellen's an Elliot...

I'd rather they'd have made a clean break and gone for someone like Sasha Lane instead.
Sasha Lane and Elliot are too old for the part, I only saw Bella as Lyanna Mormont and never in a million years thought she could play Ellie, however seeing some videos of her on other shows and behind the scenes makes kind of see why they went with her, though I think there were better fits, Kaitlyn Dever was suggested a lot and from the stuff I've seen her in she would've killed the role.

Sasha Lane and Elliot are too old for the part, I only saw Bella as Lyanna Mormont and never in a million years thought she could play Ellie, however seeing some videos of her on other shows and behind the scenes makes kind of see why they went with her, though I think there were better fits, Kaitlyn Dever was suggested a lot and from the stuff I've seen her in she would've killed the role.

Elliot definitely is. Sasha's a year older than Kaitlyn - time has really flown since American Honey. I've never seen Kaitlyn in anything as I only managed to get through the first episode of Justified.

Bella can definitely act though.

Elliot definitely is. Sasha's a year older than Kaitlyn - time has really flown since American Honey. I've never seen Kaitlyn in anything as I only managed to get through the first episode of Justified.

Bella can definitely act though.
Oh damn I didn't even know Dever was 24, I thought she must've been 18 or 19! :lol Her character in Booksmart gives strong Ellie vibes if you ever check that out but it's definitely more of a teen movie to play in the background and not really aimed at people like you or me.

Bella was great in Game of Thrones but that's all I've seen of her apart from some clips on Youtube, she was one of the few stand outs in those dreadful final seasons though.

Harking back to Joel's casting, I wonder if they ever considered Anson Mount for the role, he is an underrated actor and his work in Hell on Wheels was phenomenal, he would've been an excellent Joel, probably more so than Nikolaj Coster Waldu and some others people suggested. Pedro is still an interesting pick and great actor but I still think there was someone better and they casted him purely for his popularity and to attract more of the mainstream audience in.

Oh damn I didn't even know Dever was 24, I thought she must've been 18 or 19! :lol Her character in Booksmart gives strong Ellie vibes if you ever check that out but it's definitely more of a teen movie to play in the background and not really aimed at people like you or me.

I watched Booksmart this afternoon, and realised when they were dancing in the street at the beginning that I had seen it before. It was a bit uneven, but had its moments. The doll scene was particularly funny. :lol

There were times when I thought of Kaitlyn as Ellie, with Diana Silvers as Dina in the bathroom scene.

I think I just have a hard time imagining other people taking on these roles, when they've already been played so well. A live action TV series will be a reboot of the games, since I think of the games as films anyway.

Not sure there's a lot of interest in this with the recent and upcoming releases on the small and big screens but in a new interview with Neil Druckmann he kind of confirms Joel and Ellie won't look exactly the same as they did in the game, saying a red shirt and plaid shirt are not that important to the characters, the story will deviate a lot in some areas and they're doing VFX tests with the clickers and it's looking awesome, probably the thing that interests me the most to be honest, I hope they rely more on the pratical effects for the infected.
https://sea.ign.com/news/170020/the...ame-but-will-deviate-greatly-in-some-episodes

https://www.ign.com/articles/hbo-th...9VVKeoHjeN5Y4LLQOtYhKJskaQv7RkFo1qSkHf79E8SZ0

Cost More Than Ten Million Dollars Per Episode​

Filming is set to start later this month.​

Adele Ankers
By Adele Ankers
Updated: 19 Jul 2021 3:51 pm
Posted: 19 Jul 2021 3:37 pm

HBO's The Last of Us TV adaptation is said to have a budget that "well exceeds the eight-figure per episode mark," likely making it "the largest project shooting in Canada."

Damian Petti, president of the IATSE 212 artists union, wouldn't confirm the precise budget numbers for the project to CTV News, though he estimated each episode to be costing more than eight figures. At a minimum, the eight-figure sum would mean that it's costing $10 million per episode but he indicates that it's actually significantly more than that.
"I cannot confirm the official budget numbers but will say it is likely the largest project shooting in Canada," he told the outlet. "This project well exceeds the eight-figure per episode mark, so there is a multiplier effect on our economy in terms of its impact. There are hundreds of related businesses benefitting from the plethora of work."

"The Last of Us which commences photography this week is indeed a monster," Petti added, confirming the show's shooting schedule that launches in the Province of Alberta this month. "It has five art directors and employs an army of hundreds of technicians. It has had six months of prep and shoots (in Alberta) for 12 months."
The Last of Us showrunner Craig Mazin previously revealed the HBO series will have a 10-episode first season, which means that Season 1 would be costing at least $100 million to make, though it's likely to be even more than that given the budget for each individual episode is said to "well exceed" the eight-figure benchmark.
For comparison, Game of Thrones originally cost around $6 million per episode in its first season but ballooned to a comparable $15 million per episode for its final season. Likewise, the per-episode cost to make The Mandalorian reportedly reached close to $15 million, making the cost of a whole season nearly $120 million.

The reason for the high price tags on upcoming shows, especially compared to the historic costs of television shows, is how these series are often packaged together with Hollywood blockbusters. There's a feeling, particularly among streaming services, that TV shows can't risk looking like "B-material" next to big movies, hence the comparable costs of production.

In addition to The Last of Us TV series, Sony is also currently working on an Uncharted movie, starring Tom Holland as Nathan Drake. The movie is set to hit theaters on February 18, 2022. PlayStation boss Jim Ryan has already stated that these two Naughty Dog adaptations are "just the beginning" of PlayStation's efforts to expand into other mediums.

I wonder if they’ll change the story. Nobody is a fan of what happened in the second. And Abby is hated.

I wonder if they’ll change the story. Nobody is a fan of what happened in the second. And Abby is hated.

If they change TLOU's conflicted ending they may as well not even bother make the series. It's core to Joel and Ellie's relationship, which was set up in the prologue with Joel losing his daughter.

The conflicted ending directly leads to the tension and dynamic of TLOU2.

Abby killing Joel created a powerful storyline for Ellie.

Ellie's failure to forgive Joel while he was alive, and her decision to avenge his death as a means of atonement, sent her down a dark path. Just as Joel's rescue of Ellie in TLOU sent Abby down her own dark path.

Two unstoppable forces on a collision course, and up until the end I was hoping the two girls could find some resolution before it was two late. For me, Abby became the more sympathetic character. She was the one looking to atone, while Ellie was the one creating conflict through vengeance.

Joel's actions at the end of TLOU, born out of love, broke both girls. By the end of TLOU2 Ellie had lost everything.

If TLOU had ended on a happy note, without Joel's lie, and without Ellie's survivor guilt and her doubt about Joel's retelling of events, it would've lost its power.

TLOU2 is a tragedy generated from TLOU's love story. Both parts are driven by primal instincts, with the grim inevitability that it would destroy both Ellie and Abby before they both realised the insanity of their actions.

If they change TLOU's conflicted ending they may as well not even bother make the series. It's core to Joel and Ellie's relationship, which was set up in the prologue with Joel losing his daughter.

The conflicted ending directly leads to the tension and dynamic of TLOU2.

Abby killing Joel created a powerful storyline for Ellie.

Ellie's failure to forgive Joel while he was alive, and her decision to avenge his death as a means of atonement, sent her down a dark path. Just as Joel's rescue of Ellie in TLOU sent Abby down her own dark path.

Two unstoppable forces on a collision course, and up until the end I was hoping the two girls could find some resolution before it was two late. For me, Abby became the more sympathetic character. She was the one looking to atone, while Ellie was the one creating conflict through vengeance.

Joel's actions at the end of TLOU, born out of love, broke both girls. By the end of TLOU2 Ellie had lost everything.

If TLOU had ended on a happy note, without Joel's lie, and without Ellie's survivor guilt and her doubt about Joel's retelling of events, it would've lost its power.

TLOU2 is a tragedy generated from TLOU's love story. Both parts are driven by primal instincts, with the grim inevitability that it would destroy both Ellie and Abby before they both realised the insanity of their actions.
Yeaaaaaaa but at the same time they kinda destroyed the hopeful nature of the first one. It is implied at the end before tlou2 that Ellie knew Joel was lying but she believed him out of her love for Joel.
In the new game she finds out in a very stupid way and pretty much hates him. Also Joel gives his name away in such an easy manner. The whole game story wise is a mess. It tried to hard to be bleak and depressing and destroyed what made the characters good. Abby was a terribly written character who all of sudden we care about her npc dad we kill at the end. She then wins by taking absolutely everything from Ellie (including her fingers and ties to Joel).

meanwhile Abby gets a fresh start while Ellie loses everything she tried fighting for in the first one. The second one destroys that hopeful nature of the first.

so yes I hope that in the hbo series they completely ignore the awful sequel storyline and focus on a better development for the characters and a better death for Joel .

the last of us essentially got its popularity from it being a hopeful story in a messed up world . The second game tried its hardest to kill and destroy everything the characters fought for and who they were.

awful game

What happened in the second that was so bad?
Half ass killed beloved characters
Horrible development.
Bland characters
Destroys the great family dynamic theme Joel and Ellie had in the first by making Ellie pretty much hate Joel until his death.
Forcing a character who we don’t really care about down our throats.
Might as well have not done the second game

Half ass killed beloved characters
Horrible development.
Bland characters
Destroys the great family dynamic theme Joel and Ellie had in the first by making Ellie pretty much hate Joel until his death.
Forcing a character who we don’t really care about down our throats.
Might as well have not done the second game
Sounds like a sequel alright. :lol

Sounds like a sequel alright. :lol
It was a mess. People hated it. People called it the last jedi of video games. Also the marketing basically lied to you about the story. They killed the franchise horribly. It’s sad cause the first is considered a masterpiece. However gameplay is solid and the environment is detailed. The story is just a mess

It was a mess. People hated it. People called it the last jedi of video games. Also the marketing basically lied to you about the story. They killed the franchise horribly. It’s sad cause the first is considered a masterpiece
That's one thing the tv show can fix. They already made changes to the cast, for better or worse, so changing the outcome of the story and learning from the game's backlash might make the show better and less predictable.

That's one thing the tv show can fix. They already made changes to the cast, for better or worse, so changing the outcome of the story and learning from the game's backlash might make the show better and less predictable.
That’s what I’m hoping for. More development on certain events. Like the sequel didn’t touch on the virus, why Ellie is immune or Joel’s past. Just some focused on big buff woman and her quest to find protein .
Feel like with the announced “ remake” they might retcon 2 or make Joel a bad character lol

Back