Hasbro line officially (NOT) dead???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hasbro line officially dead!

IrishJedi said:
I think it was the EPISODE I effect. They over-anticipated demand, didn't pace the stuff well at all and just put a ton of stuff out all at once.

This is the correct answer. Too much product too soon.

I'm disappointed. IJ was the license that pulled me back into collecting toys. I'm happy with what has been released (we've gotten a smattering of figures from all four films), but I agree that the license was handled poorly. And thanks to other companies like Sideshow and GG, we won't see much in the way of higher-end products either.

I've been waiting years for IJ collectibles. Such a shame that all of this will be short-lived.

Ah man, this sucks!!
Well, maybe Hasbro will finally learn to stop clogging pegs with lame variations and understand that their stupid case ratios, combined with them not making this a collector's line, it was pretty much DOA...

Between this and Medicom's 14 Y.O. body Indy, Sideshow's delays, and GG's & Koto's crapfest, this should be called:

"Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Licensed Products"...

Face it. The fact of the matter is that Indy just isn't that popular. We like him, and there is a core group of collectors who would buy this line, but the kids never really got into Crystal Skull that much and have already forgotten about it. They were never fans of the original films. I go to Walmart and see the shelves clogged with this stuff. Unless you have a real sense of nostalgia for these films, you're not going to want to buy a figure of any of the Indy characters, with the possible exception of Indy himself, since he's an icon.

I just wish there was a way for Hasbo to release these (and the Mighty Muggs!) on a more limited scale. Why not sell them as exclusives on their web site? They could certainly get away with charging more per figure, if necessary.

Last edited:

Face it. The fact of the matter is that Indy just isn't that popular. We like him, and there is a core group of collectors who would buy this line, but the kids never really go into Crystal Skull that much and have already forgotten about it. They were never fans of the original films. I go to Walmart and see the shelves clogged with this stuff. Unless you have a real sense of nostalgia for these films, you're not going to want to buy a figure of any of the Indy characters, with the possible exception of Indy himself, since he's an icon.

You nailed it. People can blame Hasbro for the case assortments killing the line, but in reality it's just not a good toy line for kids. Hell, I'll wager a lot of collectors only bought an Indy and maybe Henry Sr. if they could find him.

Between this and Medicom's 14 Y.O. body Indy, Sideshow's delays, and GG's & Koto's crapfest, this should be called:

"Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Licensed Products"...

:lol

:lecture :lecture :lecture

Of course, you could add to that Takara's Follow-The-Coconuts Act.

you know, I'm pretty satisfied with the span of the Hasbro collection. It isn't what I dreamed, but it's pretty good. The Temple of Doom stuff is just starting to show up, so you stand a chance of getting those. (online, at least)

I wish I had never seen the prototypes of the Toht wave...or the other Mighty Muggs that have now been canceled...but what I have, I thoroughly enjoy..

I'll never understand the way retailers handled everything, and the case assortments, but...I've finally got a nice collection of cool figures from Indy...as a kid I would have absolutely flipped over this stuff.

Trev

I agree. For the line having such a short lifespan, Hasbro did actually manage to get a good chunk of the core characters done. The only glaring omissions imo are Toht and Marcus Brody.

You nailed it. People can blame Hasbro for the case assortments killing the line, but in reality it's just not a good toy line for kids. Hell, I'll wager a lot of collectors only bought an Indy and maybe Henry Sr. if they could find him.

I know that plenty of collectors were practically completists on this line. The problem comes from the horrible case packouts with a whole bunch of Mutts and Indys that we already had. The figures we actually did want many of us never found.

I know that plenty of collectors were practically completists on this line. The problem comes from the horrible case packouts with a whole bunch of Mutts and Indys that we already had. The figures we actually did want many of us never found.

That was a BIG part of the problem. Hasbro's ridiculously dumb case assortments and what that retailers ordered went a long way towards creating overflowing pegs on store aisles.

The Mutts didn't help, but it wasn't just Mutt that was pegwarming, it was everything. Do we blame the retailers for overordering or the public for underbuying?

Well, it certainly wasn't ONE silver bullet that contributed... but I do strongly believe that a better assorted, more sanely paced line would have had a much better chance at success.

The problem is that the main culprits here (Hasbro, Wal-Mart and Lucasfilm Licensing) don't really know how to finesse anything... they're all about overkill and over-saturation. Sometimes (SW as a whole) that works... and sometimes it clearly does not (TPM, and now INDY).

I think the biggest mistake here was to direct IJ towards kids,
the fans of Indy are adults, it's not Star Wars... it's the same mistake Mattel did with the MOTU line a few years ago, kids didn't know who He-Man was, don't expect them to just bite a franchise that was successful 15-20 years ago. This should've been a line dedicated to collectors... that's it!
I just hope we get the TOD series and but seems like Toht, German Mechanic, Satipo/Sapito and Dress Marion are history...too bad
Dos eanybody now if Indy w/ Bike and sidecar and Bike Mutt are canned to?
If so that sucks...

Found Mutt with the Bike yesterday at Walmart so it is out, was rather excited to see anything new on the shelf it's been so long!

Another thing that hurt this line with kids was that it had to compete with the likes of Iron Man and The Dark Knight toys.

Iron Man toys aren't selling that much are they?
I see them clogging pegs, not as bad as Indy...

At the time when the Indy line could have gotten popular with the kids and make it sell well it had to compete with those two. As for Iron Man they have just started to trickle back in around here for the last two months all we could find for my son was the Mark 3 suit here and there but now they are starting to fill the shelves with them.

I don't think any of them (Indy, TDK, Iron Man, Hulk) sold like gangbusters (with the exception of Mattel's MM line with TDK). But they all did much better than Speed Racer. :lol

I could have told Hasbro that collectors would mainly be buying this line, not kids. Grant you, Hasbro tried to attract the kiddies because of KOTCS, but they have to know that their core audience is those who grew up watching the other films.

I can understand flooding the market at the release of the film, but with the same figures clogging the pegs four months later Hasbro should have made adjustments to the line a long time ago. Fact of the matter is Hasbro was relying on the success of KOTCS to carry the line, but the film received mixed reviews and had barely any staying power. You can't sell figures to mainstream buyers when nobody is excited about the film anymore. Plus, most movie tie-in toys don't last long on the shelves. Space is at a minimum and competition is just too great.

I pre-ordered the TOD wave online and over the holiday season I'll backtrack and pick up a few other items here and there and call it a day with Hasbro.

The irony here is (other than the new Millennium Falcon) the INDY line is the first time I've really purchased Hasbro stuff in eons. So now I can go back to my merry world of ignoring them. :lol

Back