Hasbro 6" Black Series Star Wars line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got a BS Han Solo, it has a good sculpt, it even feature his smirk, but the paint app is sloppy as usual, and the hair color is totally wrong, so I repainted him a bit, and I did Chewie before, and now they look quite nice together~

View attachment 236175

You offering me a job?
View attachment 236176

Chewie, we're home.
View attachment 236177

I agree with the others, your photography is amazing! Awesome stuff kevchan1103!!!:clap

That is a great idea to put images on the computer screen as a background, but your photography, lighting and angles are also fantastic!
I browsed your site and you are definitely very talented...love your work!!! So professional looking!

Wish I could do stuff like that...makes me very apprehensive to post my stuff - haha!

If I may ask what type of camera and lighting do you use? or is that a trade secret?:wink1:
I have probably about a 10 year old point and shoot digital camera and am lacking in my photo skills but want to improve!
I especially like how much of the figures are in focus...I know my camera has a shallow depth of field.

I just got into this line over the weekend. Found a couple of troops. I may go this way (ie SW black 6 inch line) since I don't know if I want to spend $1k + on HT troops.
These figs are great!!! Loving them but just wish they had the wrist articulation like the OTC stormie and clone troop.

Here is my attempt, just playing around...

Star_Wars_Black_First_Order_Stormtrooper_flametr.jpg

Star_Wars_Black_First_Order_Stormtrooper_flametr.jpg

Star_Wars_Black_First_Order_Stormtrooper_6021.jpg

Re: Hasbro legends 6" sw figures

Are the return of the Jedi rancor sets with Jedi luke..leia..jaba..etc..hard to find? I saw 2 at toys r us this weekend. Don't know much about the black series line...

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I agree with the others, your photography is amazing! Awesome stuff kevchan1103!!!:clap

That is a great idea to put images on the computer screen as a background, but your photography, lighting and angles are also fantastic!
I browsed your site and you are definitely very talented...love your work!!! So professional looking!

Wish I could do stuff like that...makes me very apprehensive to post my stuff - haha!

If I may ask what type of camera and lighting do you use? or is that a trade secret?:wink1:
I have probably about a 10 year old point and shoot digital camera and am lacking in my photo skills but want to improve!
I especially like how much of the figures are in focus...I know my camera has a shallow depth of field.

I just got into this line over the weekend. Found a couple of troops. I may go this way (ie SW black 6 inch line) since I don't know if I want to spend $1k + on HT troops.
These figs are great!!! Loving them but just wish they had the wrist articulation like the OTC stormie and clone troop.

Here is my attempt, just playing around...

Thanks so much for the compliment, means a lot! Of course I don't mind, I do this solely out of my passion for movies and action figures. My camera is a Panasonic GX1 digital camera (those that can switch lens) with a 25mm lens. I basically do all my toys photo shooting right there on my computer desk because my place is small. I use one of those clip-on table lamp with flexible hose as my main source of light (so the position is adjustable), I just shine that light on top of the figures and then hold a piece of mirror in my hand to reflect some more "extra lighting" on it. Below is an example (you see the mirror is on the table below but when taking the actual shot I actually held it up with one of my hands and shine the reflection lights on the figure):

Avengers.jpg

I always use a tripod, because I don't have to worry about shutter speed, and because my hands are usually busy holding other stuff XD. For camera settings I mainly use manual focus, this way I can always adjust it to focus on the figure's face, and usually use larger aperture like f3.5 (just personal preference really coz I like some blurry parts). And finally is setting the correct light balance between the figure and the PC background, I use spot metering for exposure, meaning when you try to move your camera around, you should find the lighting change dramatically, what I do is when I find the correct lighting balance, then I use the exposure lock to lock it and then go back to positioning and then take the shot. Hope this helps!

Oh btw, I want to ask where you find that background image in your flametrooper shots, I want to find it and couldn't.

Thanks so much for the compliment, means a lot! Of course I don't mind, I do this solely out of my passion for movies and action figures. My camera is a Panasonic GX1 digital camera (those that can switch lens) with a 25mm lens. I basically do all my toys photo shooting right there on my computer desk because my place is small. I use one of those clip-on table lamp with flexible hose as my main source of light (so the position is adjustable), I just shine that light on top of the figures and then hold a piece of mirror in my hand to reflect some more "extra lighting" on it. Below is an example (you see the mirror is on the table below but when taking the actual shot I actually held it up with one of my hands and shine the reflection lights on the figure):

I always use a tripod, because I don't have to worry about shutter speed, and because my hands are usually busy holding other stuff XD. For camera settings I mainly use manual focus, this way I can always adjust it to focus on the figure's face, and usually use larger aperture like f3.5 (just personal preference really coz I like some blurry parts). And finally is setting the correct light balance between the figure and the PC background, I use spot metering for exposure, meaning when you try to move your camera around, you should find the lighting change dramatically, what I do is when I find the correct lighting balance, then I use the exposure lock to lock it and then go back to positioning and then take the shot. Hope this helps!

Oh btw, I want to ask where you find that background image in your flametrooper shots, I want to find it and couldn't.

Thanks for all the insite kevchan1103! I really appreciate it.
I also do some of what you do, ie use a tripod and manual focus. But I wish I had more control like aperture.
Very cool your set up and the results are awesome!

I PMed you the photo. It is just the background behind TR-8R. I have not found an empty background yet so I just photoshopped the trooper out.

Thanks again!

Finally got a 6" Darth Maul from an overseas seller. I'm a bit let down as I think the quality is lacking. The saber is kind of weak and the heads were near impossible to switch out.

On the lookout for a clearance Kylo Ren helmet when it starts happening.

Finally got a 6" Darth Maul from an overseas seller. I'm a bit let down as I think the quality is lacking. The saber is kind of weak and the heads were near impossible to switch out.

On the lookout for a clearance Kylo Ren helmet when it starts happening.

Still got the box? Does the barcode underneath the box says Sandtrooper?

So...I was lucky today and found the Walgreens exclusive Darth Vader. I'm not really a huge fan of the see-through purplish head but I never bought the original Black Series Darth Vader because of the sad huge puppy dog eyes that just ruined the look of Darth Vader in my humble opinion. After seeing the Walgreens exclusive I realized that the head sculpt was totally different with much better proportions especially around the eyes. So I went back and bought a second one did a little painting and I have to say this looks much much better then the first release with a sad puppy dog oversized eyes. So for anyone out there who was unhappy with their first release feel free to buy the Walgreens exclusive and simply repaint the head black.

Also to those professionals out there who know how to photograph gloss black on a figure god bless you because I've been trying all night and I can't make this look as good as it does in hand... boy is black difficult to photograph.lol

[URL=https://s31.photobucket.com/user/jessiedart/media/20160114_235308_zpswpzgtlet.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=https://s31.photobucket.com/user/jessiedart/media/20160114_231313_zpstimk2baa.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=https://s31.photobucket.com/user/jessiedart/media/20160114_230614_zpskpiyuon9.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=https://s31.photobucket.com/user/jessiedart/media/20160114_230605_zpsszyja2mv.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=https://s31.photobucket.com/user/jessiedart/media/20160114_230539_zpsgunqlrj5.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=https://s31.photobucket.com/user/jessiedart/media/20160114_231251_zps0fmpodcr.jpg.html] [/URL]

Not this....noooooooooo
[URL=https://s31.photobucket.com/user/jessiedart/media/02-Darth-Vader-The-Black-Series-6-inches-Hasbro-001_zpsxc6brxrj.jpg.html] [/URL]

Added some future shine and silver details to both and I have to say...the emperors wrath is growing on me.

[URL=https://s31.photobucket.com/user/jessiedart/media/20160115_094948_zpsxv6plkdr.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=https://s31.photobucket.com/user/jessiedart/media/20160115_094925_zpsvl2m1nbl.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=https://s31.photobucket.com/user/jessiedart/media/20160115_094919_zpsorv5fxwn.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=https://s31.photobucket.com/user/jessiedart/media/20160115_095519_zps8asmd9xy.jpg.html] [/URL]

^^ Was just looking at that Vader in a store a few hours ago and was thinking the same thing. Dome still isn't great but facemask looks a lot better painted up.:clap

The Target near me got a restock of Finn!!!! And also his friends the Guard and Constable. I seriously think they got a box of each in on top of what was already collecting dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I can find in my areas is the Resistance Fighter/TIE wave. I have two of the Resistance fighter, though. I think it's a really cool figure. I display one with his helmet down and one up. I am tempted to get another one and do a head swap with one of my excess Marvel Legends heads.

I REALLY wish I could find the Hux wave. Let alone the Han one.

Finally saw 2x Resistance Troopers this week (as well as some repacks). Passed on them, but might pick them up later if they're still around. I'm really shooting for Jango Fett - that figure looks great.

I couldn't stand the dead-eyed look of despair on my Poe Dameron anymore, so I repainted him.

poe-repaint.jpg

Looking at it now, I should probably detail his clothes too. :/
Where I am, everything in stores is completely picked over and not restocked.

I couldn't stand the dead-eyed look of despair on my Poe Dameron anymore, so I repainted him.

View attachment 237952

Looking at it now, I should probably detail his clothes too. :/
Where I am, everything in stores is completely picked over and not restocked.

WOW. i've seen this mold painted before.. but this thing is incredible. great work.

Thanks guys. :) My roommate yelled at me to do his clothes, so I detailed them too.
poe-repaint4.jpg

The sculpt is okay, but not great. When I wiped the paint off, I thought it was terrible. The eyes are wonky and some parts are just not right. But I was able to contour a bit more with shading, so he ended up pretty decent.
poerepaint4.jpg

Next up is Finn. Hoping to get a Rey soon.

Back