Has the PT improved with time?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has the PT improved with age?

• I like it more now

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • I like it less now

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • I never liked it

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • I always liked it

Votes: 23 43.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 5 9.4%

• Total voters
I suppose I now have a greater appreciation for what Lucas was trying to achieve with the PT and maybe I'm a little more forgiving with certain things...but time will never be able to eradicate many of the PT's problems and to me, they'll always feel like a huge missed opportunity.

I will say this though, despite the CGI excessiveness of Episodes 1-3, they at least feel like "Star Wars" films and Lucas was still able to capture the imagination with memorable creatures and exotic locales.

The Sequel Trilogy feels like a completely different universe to me...one that is totally devoid of wonderment and character.

I'm the opposite. The only thing about the PT that really felt like Star Wars were lightsabers and John Williams. The ST doesn't feel like the OT; it feels like it grew directly out of it.

I do actually agree that the PT does feel more like SW than the ST does, except for RO. Even Solo didn't feel like SW. Having said that though, I still just can't watch any of the PT as a full movie. Each has really great bits in it but I can't watch them in their entirety.

TPM 5/10
AOTC 3/10(epic bad in most ways)
ROTS 6.5/10

For me, time has eroded the enthusiasm that once graced these films.....

Those score were much higher in the years right after release.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

I'll have to rewatch the PT at some point. Haven't seen them in years (except for parts of III).

I dread doing though, so that may sum up how I truly feel about them despite wanting to like them and enjoying many of the designs.

I feel the same way about '89 Batman -- love the designs and sets and costumes, but its painful to sit thru most of the movie.

Gotta say I’m surprised by the results, I always thought it’d be closer to 50/50, but they seem to be more liked than one would believe.

As for me I always liked them. I do recognize the shortcoming in some of the dialogue, but outside of ESB, ANH and ROTJ has plenty of stilted dialogue between them as well. The only true offender for me is obviously JarJar (Though in rewatching I find he’s not that bad as his time is quite limited) and the AotC romance scenes. Only other thing I didn’t like was how Palpatine’s face was deformed. I didn’t want that to be the backstory for it. But in my head canon it was just a disguise that he let slide at that point.

But other than that, we got to see the story go in a direction we didn’t see coming which is rare for a prequel. The music was among Williams’ best, and Duel of the Fates is actually his most popular track on services like Spotify etc. So much cool worldbuilding consisting of creative new planets and ships. Excellent cinematography, especially in RotS. Lots of cool characters. And don’t forget all the excellent memes it gave us :lol

I like the overall story as well and have no major qualms with it. And RotS is actually my 2nd favourite after ESB.

Also thanks for the interesting poll Prime Clone, I was just stating a few days ago that there’s been a distinct lack of polls :lol

In that case I have my PQ - Prequel Quadrilogy

TPM, AOTC, ROTS, RO

Oh and Solo is an ‘elseworlds’ story :lol

Edit: PP - Prequel Pentalogy?

If I include TCW which I also love, short of some of the kiddy droid episodes.

Rots , RO, Solo

Can I ever accept that Darth Vader was once a 9 year old with a bowl haircut who loved to shout ''yipee!''? If I can, then I agree with your PT selection.

Jake sucks but he's so young and so far removed from what Vader would ultimately become I've decided to allow it without OT/RO Vader being tainted by his portrayal.

Or as Lando said to Beckett in Solo: "I don't like it, I don't agree with it, but I accept it." :)

Otherwise I like my makeshift PT because it allows George to kick off his own Saga again and I know I said this before but each film specifically represents it's own element of the OT.

TPM: Samurai and Wizards
Solo: Scum and Villainy/Western
RO: Military/War movie

And then the Saga combines all three elements for ANH.

So I consider them an anthology trilogy linked by secondary characters (Maul from TPM to Solo, Two-Tubes from Solo to RO, and then of course Tarkin from RO to ANH) instead of all being about the same heroes from one film to the next (until the OT.)

Last edited:
I’ve shared this story before:

Like everyone else, I was super excited about the prequels. I made a big deal about having to get tickets in advance since the buzz was so strong with the movie. I was afraid that the movie would be sold out for weeks so I needed to be sure I would get a chance to see it at least during the first week. Then, in the weeks leading up to the premiere, it seemed like the LFL were trying to temper expectations by saying that the movie, and all SW movies, were geared towards kids. I think even Kevin Smith’s positive early words were a bit guarded as well. Well, once I got to see the movie, I saw what they were all hinting at. Even with a little bit of tempered expectations, I was still massively disappointed. But mostly I was embarrassed at just how bad that was! It was my (then) girlfriend’s (now wife) first real foray into SW and I just felt terrible that this was the franchise I had devoted most of my life practically worshipping. My friends and I never really talked about them either. I think we were all too disappointed to really address them.

I felt the next 2 movies got progressively better, but still had some real problems.

I’ve never had a problem with them feeling or not feeling like SW, or the CGI, or the stories dealing with dry subject matter like trade routes and politics. Personally I probably wouldn’t have gone that way, and have imagined dozens of better scenarios of young Anakin and how he became Vader. But I was able to set all of that aside and whether I personally liked or disliked those ideas in favor of being open minded. I was very willing to “go with it”. And I think Lucas had some decent ideas.

The issues I have with all of them is that they are so poorly executed, with non existent character motivations, inexplicable character decisions, bland one-dimensional characters, non-sensical plotting, horrible dialogue, infantile humor, bad acting, etc.

The prequels have ok broad strokes of stories, but needed some major rewrites before they ever made it to screen. They feel like story outlines and needed significant fleshing out. “Obi Wan encounters a young slave boy who is strong with the force and decides to train him. Slave boy secretly falls in love with a queen. Palpatine, who is a secret Sith Lord, manipulates his way to become emperor of the galaxy and convinces the slave boy to join him. Slave boy betrays Obi Wan and the Jedi and becomes Vader” Sounds fine to me. But it’s the details, or lack thereof, or the details Lucas did try to create, that make the execution so bad for me.

They are excruciating for me to watch. Believe me, I tried to like them. I really really did. And I was very kind to them for many years. I may not have watched them much, but I tried to remember them for their better parts.

Now that I’m older I don’t feel the need to give them so much slack. And, I know I’m going to get flack for this, with the new sequels I see how much better the prequels COULD have been. Watching how good the sequels are so far makes me dislike the prequels even more because I can see how much potential they had.

However, I can understand why the prequels are now currently enjoying a renaissance of sorts. I think those who watched the prequels at a young age and grew up with them are much more forgiving of them and their faults. Just like us older fogies who grew up with the OT and are forgiving of their mistakes (or are forgiving of other movies we might have seen in our own youth). I know there are older fans who like the prequels, but I think the ones who *really* like them probably watched them when they were young and probably also watched the Clone Wars which I hear helps flesh out the characters.

As an aside, I’m amused at how clueless I am about the clones. I see people here on the board get excited about HT venturing into clones and saying they hope HT makes X character or Y character or Z character, and I’m thinking, “Who? Were they even named in the movies?”

Anyway, here are some things I actually did like about the prequels:

TPM:
• Maul vs Jedi

AOTC:
• Chasing Zam Wesell through Coruscant
• Obi Wan vs Jango

ROTS:
• Space battle over Coruscant
• Obi Wan vs Anakin on Mustafar

Also thanks for the interesting poll Prime Clone, I was just stating a few days ago that there’s been a distinct lack of polls :lol

Happy to oblige! :D

I felt the next 2 movies got progressively better

My sentiments exactly! As you say, the problem was more about the execution than the concepts.

Dunno how accurate the polls are since they are not accessible via TapaTalk....

Hell I cant see then half the time on the web!

Nothing, not even the passage of time which heals old wounds can make Attack of the Clones any better....I literally cannot watch it, and as such deny that one! I can tolerate TPM and still at least watch ROTS.

Back