Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince--SPOILERS!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Heard on the radio that judging by presales vs number of screens, HBP already has transformers beat.

:banana :banana :banana

I just read that the Vadican loved it :lol I thought they thought that witch-craft was the work of the devil :dunno

Is this saga really that good? Should I buy all the books and read them?

In a word...
28-YesCutout2_jpg.jpg

My wife has never read fantasy or anything outside regular fiction. I got her to read this series and she loves the books and movies.

Definitely worth reading... I put off getting involved in the series for years, but once I started I was quickly hooked. Its a surprisingly deep and well done series.

Definitely worth reading... I put off getting involved in the series for years, but once I started I was quickly hooked. Its a surprisingly deep and well done series.

Same here. I put my nose up at it and made the assumption it was LOTR-lite.... for kiddies.... Not so. I took my kids to see the movies and I thought they were ok. But when I read the books I was hooked.

Same here. I put my nose up at it and made the assumption it was LOTR-lite.... for kiddies.... Not so. I took my kids to see the movies and I thought they were ok. But when I read the books I was hooked.

I just re-read the series and I was amazed how much more I enjoyed them especially being able to see how even in the first book there were hints and ideas that were carried out much later in the series.

I just re-read the series and I was amazed how much more I enjoyed them especially being able to see how even in the first book there were hints and ideas that were carried out much later in the series.

Yea, she really left some foreshadowing clues in the earlier books that I didn't even notice. They were very well hidden and I didn't even see them at clues...very well done.

NOW, this is an honest questions, don't take it as a joke. Do Hermoine's eyebrows constantly go up and down as she overacts? The 4th and 5th film were almost ruined for me because of her overacting eyebrows that just annoyed the crap out of me. I'm just curious to see if the director told her to stop doing it.

They are well told, engaging stories, but simplistic kiddie fare nonetheless. I do not say this as a put down, I love simple g vs e stories. But yes, they are worth reading and get better as the series goes on.

I didn't even notice her eyebrows...lol

That's one of the things I love about these books, she did such a great job being so thorough. It was fun to read something in a later story and go "Oh" when I realized a much earlier and seemlingly unimportant event was not so unimportant. I also think the movie makers made a mistake when they left out a part of OOTP that imo is important to how DH plays out. Hope that was vague enough that the book only readers :read don't get spoilers while those of us who have read the books know or can guess what I am referring to.

Yea, she really left some foreshadowing clues in the earlier books that I didn't even notice. They were very well hidden and I didn't even see them at clues...very well done.

NOW, this is an honest questions, don't take it as a joke. Do Hermoine's eyebrows constantly go up and down as she overacts? The 4th and 5th film were almost ruined for me because of her overacting eyebrows that just annoyed the crap out of me. I'm just curious to see if the director told her to stop doing it.

YES!! I thought she had muscle cramps in her forehead or something :lol When she has to be serious, they bounce up and down like crazy.

They are well told, engaging stories, but simplistic kiddie fare nonetheless. I do not say this as a put down, I love simple g vs e stories. But yes, they are worth reading and get better as the series goes on.

I don't know about that. Is Tom Riddle a more tragic or more complex character than Anakin Skywalker? I think there's an argument to be made there.

I think the relationships are more intricate, real and believable than in a lot of "highbrow" fiction.

That's one of the things I love about these books, she did such a great job being so thorough. It was fun to read something in a later story and go "Oh" when I realized a much earlier and seemlingly unimportant event was not so unimportant. I also think the movie makers made a mistake when they left out a part of OOTP that imo is important to how DH plays out. Hope that was vague enough that the book only readers :read don't get spoilers while those of us who have read the books know or can guess what I am referring to.

I know what you are talking about, and I agree. My guess is they will be doing some changes to fix that mistake. Maybe they will just end up finding the real thing at the end of this one?

Interesting. I just read that,
Spoiler Spoiler:

YES!! I thought she had muscle cramps in her forehead or something :lol When she has to be serious, they bounce up and down like crazy.

THANK YOU. A buddy of mine didn't notice it...but honestly, don't know how you can NOT notice it. Don't know if that's just how she is or if that's how she is when she overacts :huh:huh:huh

I don't know about that. Is Tom Riddle a more tragic or more complex character than Anakin Skywalker? I think there's an argument to be made there.

I think the relationships are more intricate, real and believable than in a lot of "highbrow" fiction.

Totally agree that there's an argument there. I think that's why Rowling made Harry and Riddle so much alike. How you can compare and contrast them. If Riddle was brought up with love and his mother had the strength that Harry's mother had, would he have become what he is? Harry wasn't brought up with love, but he didn't follow the same path that Riddle did. I honestly think that Riddle IS a MUCH more complex character than Anakin Skywalker (but then again, if the Prequel trilogy were better, it would probably be Anakin; he had HUGE potential that fizzled in Ep. I-III).

...Riddle IS a MUCH more complex character than Anakin Skywalker (but then again, if the Prequel trilogy were better, it would probably be Anakin; he had HUGE potential that fizzled in Ep. I-III).

I would agree except the novelizations of ep 1-3 are superior to the movies in every way and you really do get a sense of depth with Anakin's character which is almost comparable to Harry.

I suppose not but Anakin Skywalker, as seen in the PT, is hardly the most complex or compelling character. That's another discussion I guess. Even though we see twisted lil' Riddle's back story, Voldemort is perhaps more akin to Palpatine. But to be fair, fairy tales don't often have the deepest or most nuanced depictions, it's not where a lot of their strength lies.

HP is a great adventure yarn and isn't any more juvenile or simplistic than most fantasy fiction. Sure it spoons out the same tired Judeo-Christian GvE, hero's initiation storyline we've seen over and over again, but like Star Wars, it does it well.

I love the Simpsons HP parody where they ask Lord Evilington (a giant snake) from the Ministry of Niceness who the big villain could be. :lol Sums up a lot of the "kiddiness" of HP for me.

Back