Harrison Ford: Lucas already working on INDY 5

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But the latest film takes place in the "flying saucer" paranoia of the 50's, so bringing more sci-fi elements into the series is proper...and welcome, I might add. Plus, as you mentioned, they made the "interdimensional beings" more historic, tying them to the Mayans. It brings something new and different to the series. I know, that's not what most fans want, but for me, two films where Indy is hunting down religious artifacts is enough for me.

I agree but this is where papa Georgio fails miserably. He is a great idea man but a poor executor of the grand plan (see Spielberg for that). I think GL is his own worst enemy, see to me it wasn't the idea of aliens and the progression of the character into the 50's, it was the every time something awesome happens...then something equally as terrible happens; someone gets kicked in the nuts, falls off of 5 waterfalls, etc. The same could be said for the prequels but especially the CW TV show. Anytime something cool happened then a battle droid started to baby talk nonsense or something, same thing with KOTCS. I don't need to be transported back to when I was a kid, I just need a solid story without any unnecessary reduntancies or stupid GL CGI stuff. George and his ideas are a roller coaster of awesomeness and ridiculousness.

George puts things on screen that he finds amusing and makes movies that he would want to watch. I can't fault him for having his own personal taste when it comes to the movies he watches. He's obviously a big fan of physical humor and slapstick so he puts those elements into his films when they're necessary. The OT had many of these kind of moments as well, mostly involving the droids and creatures, giving the characters more eccentricities which makes it a little more fun.

I think GL is his own worst enemy, see to me it wasn't the idea of aliens and the progression of the character into the 50's, it was the every time something awesome happens...then something equally as terrible happens; someone gets kicked in the nuts, falls off of 5 waterfalls, etc.

The problem is nothing happened in KOTCS that didn't also have approval from Spielberg and Ford, which means that kind of stuff is definitely sticking around.

The problem is nothing happened in KOTCS that didn't also have approval from Spielberg and Ford, which means that kind of stuff is definitely sticking around.

Read the making of book. Spielberg and Ford indeed comprimised with Lucas on several things just to get the film made. That's why I hope he used up his most zany ideas with this one.

I wonder if he can top swinging with Greaser Monkeys!!!!!!!!! You know, nothing says Indiana Jones like a Monkey with a comb and switchblade in his sock.

Read the making of book. Spielberg and Ford indeed comprimised with Lucas on several things just to get the film made. That's why I hope he used up his most zany ideas with this one.

This is indeed true, but nevertheless, they all agreed on the tone, style, and story. The basic story and concept didn't really change all that much over the years, but it was nailing down the right way to tell that story that took so long for Lucas to convince Ford and Spielberg that it was the proper one for Indy at this juncture in his life.

Personally, I think the film is a very fulfilling one. Last Crusade gave us glimpses into who Indy is and what made him the man he is, so it's natural that with that knowledge, we now see him inside a dysfunctional family dynamic. The best line film is incredibly honest - "We've reached the point in our lives when life stops giving us things and starts taking them away." Yet, the film gives Indy a family he never quite had growing up with his father and losing his mother at an early age.

It's an awesome book, BTW. :)

I wonder if he can top swinging with Greaser Monkeys!!!!!!!!! You know, nothing says Indiana Jones like a Monkey with a comb and switchblade in his sock.

Good thing that character was named Mutt Williams then. ;)

That book is awesome. It is way better than I had expected!

I enjoyed KotC quite a bit, so I'm up for another Indy adventure. Bring it on!:whip

One would think GL hadn't ever seen Raiders of the Lost Ark with some of the crap he pulled as of late. I hope you're right IJ, but since Lucas is slipping with every project he does I don't think it will ever stop. He needs a Gary Kurtz, drop all of the yes men and actually challenge some of his nuttier ideas. Remember "You can write this s_it, but you can't say it!". Stop being drunk on power and buying into everything people say, step back and collaborate like he used to. Read the Making of Star Wars too guys. I know the book isn't supposed to make GL look like a ********* but he sure comes off that way with some of his decision making.

I don't have a problem with the idea of a 5th movie, but please, no CGI and more iimportantly, NO MUTT!!! Thin out the supporting players in general. I mean, you had Indy, Marion, Mutt, Ox AND Mac running around? Too many, use 3 at most for the core goup. Monkeys bad, horses good.

Yeti as MacGuffin would be fine. Marion could revisit HER old haunts, I'd be up for Round 2 of the drinking contest.

Now, how do I pull a Jedi mind trick on GL and get him to call me up and ask for story ideas?

One would think GL hadn't ever seen Raiders of the Lost Ark with some of the crap he pulled as of late. I hope you're right IJ, but since Lucas is slipping with every project he does I don't think it will ever stop. He needs a Gary Kurtz, drop all of the yes men and actually challenge some of his nuttier ideas. Remember "You can write this s_it, but you can't say it!". Stop being drunk on power and buying into everything people say, step back and collaborate like he used to. Read the Making of Star Wars too guys. I know the book isn't supposed to make GL look like a ********* but he sure comes off that way with some of his decision making.

Angry fanboy - 1

George Lucas - 10,000,000,000 or so...

;)

I couldn't disagree more. Grain of salt pal, grain of salt.

Film, by its very nature is a collaborative effort. With three big stars like Ford, Lucas, and Spielberg they all would likely have to agree on the basics of the film in order to make it. The way some of you paint Lucas as a person and as a filmmaker is laughable.

I don't have a problem with the idea of a 5th movie, but please, no CGI

Really? I mean, you have seen the original films right? You know that there's a lot of optical effects in those films, right? Probably for the time, quite a bit, and probably pretty equal to the number of effects shots in KOTCS which I believe is around 500 or so, which is very low for a summer blockbuster these days. Although the Indy films have always been heavy on practical stunts, there have also been a great many visual effects in the films as well. What? You want Spielberg to use opticals when he can use computer graphics? You're living in a dream world.

People who say there shouldn't be CGI, and they rarely go into detail, sounding like there shouldn't be CGI of any kind in these movies need a little sense of reality. Especially if you consider GL, Spielberg and ILM are and have always been involved. ILM!!!

Really? I mean, you have seen the original films right? You know that there's a lot of optical effects in those films, right? Probably for the time, quite a bit, and probably pretty equal to the number of effects shots in KOTCS which I believe is around 500 or so, which is very low for a summer blockbuster these days. Although the Indy films have always been heavy on practical stunts, there have also been a great many visual effects in the films as well. What? You want Spielberg to use opticals when he can use computer graphics? You're living in a dream world.

Its how CGI is used thats the problem. Take the jungle chase scenes in KOTCS - back in the day all of that would have been done for real with perhaps a few tricks pulled to give the illusion that everything was happening faster than it really was. Nowadays they cop out and CGI the whole lot. We're not talking about the optical effects in the original films which were usually limited to showing 30s fighter planes trying to fly through a mountain road tunnel - We're talking about CGI being used to simulate entire ^^^^^king scenery and everything within it!! Thats what looks jarringly bad and really takes you out of the film - Lucas in particular doesn't seem to get this. Its why I always find it funny when people call the prequel star wars films live action - about the only time those films were in any way live action were when the main cast were standing still or walking slowly. In some cases even the chairs they sat on were CGI. Ridiculous. Not that KOTCS took it that far but sometimes it did.

Its how CGI is used thats the problem. Take the jungle chase scenes in KOTCS - back in the day all of that would have been done for real with perhaps a few tricks pulled to give the illusion that everything was happening faster than it really was. Nowadays they cop out and CGI the whole lot. We're not talking about the optical effects in the original films which were usually limited to showing 30s fighter planes trying to fly through a mountain road tunnel - We're talking about CGI being used to simulate entire ^^^^^king scenery and everything within it!! Thats what looks jarringly bad and really takes you out of the film - Lucas in particular doesn't seem to get this. Its why I always find it funny when people call the prequel star wars films live action - about the only time those films were in any way live action were when the main cast were standing still or walking slowly. In some cases even the chairs they sat on were CGI. Ridiculous. Not that KOTCS took it that far but sometimes it did.

You should probably watch that sequence again because CGI is used only when necessary. So much of what people think is CGI are really miniatures and other types of effects. And it looks better than the optical effects from the other three films. If the shady matte lines or opticals from the first three films don't bother you, then why does the minimal amount of digital graphics in the new film bother you? Makes no sense.

Uninformed viewers just casually think everything is digital nowadays, when in fact old school techniques are still very popular. Take Revenge of the Sith for example. Much of what you see in that film is miniatures and scaled sets. In fact, Sith had more built sets than any other Star Wars film. Optical or digital. Practical stunts or digital doubles. Puppets or CGI creatures. It's all an illusion. The technique matters little. What is important is how the effect works for the sequence they're used for. How they create the enviroment or character and how they add to the overall effect of the film.

As far as the jungle goes, I actually thought the jungle resembled Jackson's jungle from King Kong which in and of itself was trying to replicate the style of the 1933 film. It was very layered jungle, adding perspective and depth to the enviroment. And you know what, a lot of that work was not digital. Sure sets are extended and there's matte paintings, but those techniques have been employed for decades. The only thing that's changed is the technology used to employee those techniques.

No it didn't. :K

Also, people do realize that 95% of that jungle chase was actually shot in a jungle, right? They used bluescreen plus backgrounds only for the most difficult stuff.

The major CGI enhancement there is adding greenery to the tracks the vehicles rode on. And that's a great asset, as I really don't know how they'd be able to do it otherwise. You can't film a fast car chase through shrubbery, period.

(Yes, I said "shrubbery"!)

Go read the latest Cinefex, anyway. The Indy IV article is a total highlight.

Back