Hannibal

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take the time to watch the first episode, Aperitif, and then decide.

A few high points for me:

1) As someone else said before, one can expect an pilot of this caliber form a premium channel like HBO. Production values (at least for the first episode) are first rate.

2) The principal actors are first rate. Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelson are great as Will Graham and Hannibal Lector. Lawrence Fishburne is pretty good as Jack Crawford as well.

3) The source material. This can either be a boon or bane. I was skeptical with the fact that the show's creators were taking literary and cinematic icons and trying to make a televison series from them, but if the first episode is indicative of the first season, we're in for a real treat.

Last edited:
Yeah, have you seen it a-dev? The quality of production and performances was better than I've seen for a comparable network show in a long while. Obviously we've got a sample size of 1, so I don't want to gush too much, but based on what I've seen I rank this as having more depth and quality than even some dark cable shows like Dexter.

I watched the first episode because of the actors they've got and while I've no doubt its well made - it still feels like I've seen it all before with Criminal minds, the 14 different CSIs etc etc The whole wackjob 'consultant' with a special gift is done to death too.

I watched the first episode and while I've no doubt its well made - it still feels like I've seen it all before with Criminal minds, the 14 different CSIs etc etc The whole wackjob 'consultant' with a special gift is done to death too.

I agree...but this all originated with Will Graham, in terms of contemporary pop culture. I may be wrong, there may have been other pop culture books, TV shows, and movies that featured a empathic detective matching wits with an calculating adversary (Sherlock Holmes vs. Moriarty comes to mind, but not in terms of a homicisal serial killer), but for me, Thomas Harris books introduced this theme or literary allegory to me.

Awesome show. Well done NBC--- It felt like something that would have been on HBO.

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Take the time to watch the first episode, Aperitif, and then decide.

A few high points for me:

1) As someone else said before, one can expect an pilot of this caliber form a premium channel like HBO. Production values (at least for the first episode) are first rate.

2) The principal actors are first rate. Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelson are great as Will Graham and Hannibal Lector. Lawrence Fishburne is pretty good as Jack Crawford as well.

3) The source material. This can either be a boon or bane. I was skeptical with the fact that the show's creators were taking literary and cinematic icons and trying to make a televison series from them, but if the first episode is indicative of the first season, we're in for a real treat.

:wave

I watched the first episode because of the actors they've got and while I've no doubt its well made - it still feels like I've seen it all before with Criminal minds, the 14 different CSIs etc etc The whole wackjob 'consultant' with a special gift is done to death too.

Give it a chance. You won't regret it.

Meh , the profiler guy was better than Hannibal ,

I couln't understand Hannibal at all , its like a German guy doing a brittish accent , Horrible choice for that role IMO

Meh , the profiler guy was better than Hannibal ,

I couln't understand Hannibal at all , its like a German guy doing a brittish accent , Horrible choice for that role IMO

close, Hannibal is Lithuanian. you thought he's an American?
tumblr_li8jzcbpmU1qzc4eao1_500.gif

I watched it online and I agree the production values were very impressive. The actors were all top notch as well. And the story was interesting and compelling.

But I think i have to side with a-dev on the fact that we've seen this kind of thing millions of times before and can currently see it in plenty of other shows. While I do appreciate that Thomas Harris was probably ahead of his time when the books were first published, the show itself is a little late in the game.

I dunno. Maybe I was hoping for a little more considering Bryan Fuller's involvement. It would have been a good opportunity to do something a little different to distinguish itself from the rest. I realize Lecter's involvement is the real hook to the show, so I guess it all hinges on his character. And I thought Mads played him fantastically. The "flashbacks" Will would have are interesting, but I can see that getting old quick.

I'll give it another shot. I did love seeing Caroline Dhavernas again!

But I think i have to side with a-dev on the fact that we've seen this kind of thing millions of times before and can currently see it in plenty of other shows. While I do appreciate that Thomas Harris was probably ahead of his time when the books were first published, the show itself is a little late in the game

:exactly:

It seems to me like the studio wanted something that would have some guarantee of success - which murder investigation shows seem to be. And their attempt to make it stand out is that its Hannibal Lecter. But that just may not be enough for a guy like me who is sick to death of murder shows as it is.

I guess I'm lucky that I haven't watched many primetime network shows over the last, oh, 20-25 years? When was "TGIF" on again? :lol This all seems relatively fresh to me.

I guess I'm lucky that I haven't watched many primetime network shows over the last, oh, 20-25 years? When was "TGIF" on again? :lol This all seems relatively fresh to me.

So you went from Urkel in space and Step By Step to Hannibal? You know you may have missed an ok tv show here and there in the past 25 years. :lol

But unfortunately I just watched this and have to agree, while it's good, mainly because of the talent involved, it does just feel like a glorified Law and Order with good actors. I'd rather watch these characters than some random cops on Law and Order Rape Unit 14 but it's going to need to set itself apart and soon.

Watched the first ep last night, really good. Can't wait to watch the second episode tonight!

I was pleasantly surprised by this show and will continue watching it. It has a major Dexter vibe which i like. I just wish i could understand the actor playing Hannibal a bit better. I am not sure if its his accent or he is mumbling a bit but **** had to put screen caps on when dude talked to understand what he was saying.

Its a good thing this came out when it did because Spartacus is ending this Friday and I need some new shows to watch. Between Hannibal and Bates Motel (check it out its good) I should be alright for a bit.

Hopefully Divinci's Demons is a good show as well. Tune in on Friday for the "free" premier even if u don't subscribe to stars.

Last edited:
I hope something shakes the tree, I agree its definitely retread snooze material, but I've watched all of the Following so far, which is so far out in the left field of dumb... I can definitely give this awhile to get cooking.

Back