Han ANH repaint

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feroze13

Super Freak
Reaction score
After seeing the amazing re-paints here, decided to give it a ago.
I'm familiar with oils and acrylic, but painting a 3d sculpt turned out to be an entirely different thing.:horror
Han ANH was the first victim. Attempted to strip the SS paint with acetone, not alot of joy, went ahead anyway. Used SW Chronicles for reference.
After alot of tooling about I think it went ok.
Sideshowhansolo6.jpg

han3.jpg

PICT0008.jpg

PICT0018a.jpg

PICT0016.jpg

PICT0018a.jpg

PICT0017a-1.jpg

Last edited:
Turned out great! I'm not sure if it was your intent, but the added texture looks fantastic.

And I know your pain with the acetone, the paint Sideshow uses is so thick it obscures some of the details and removing it is a chore that can give you some great headaches!

Again, great job, it looks really nice!

cheers mate.
the texture was created by using a fine make-up sponge.
han2.jpg

That's brilliant feroze! I'll have to try using make up sponges when I paint heads from now on...

Thanks Mark:),
it was looking at Darren Carnall's Han that pointed the way, all credit to him, he has this fine patina on han's jawline simulating fine stubble, figured he must have used a sponge.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that it's the lighting, but one side looks darker than the other. Looks cool though! The only suggestion I would make is to add a gloss to the eyes and perhaps the mouth.

That last shot is really cool! I forgot to take pics of mine in his robe.

edit: and BTW, your paintings are incredible! You say digital oils, so there is no canvas print of them?

Thanks Crimsonbob, appreciate it.:)
Han was our first ever re-paint, Anakin benefited from the lessons learned.

I'm guessing that it's the lighting, but one side looks darker than the other. Looks cool though! The only suggestion I would make is to add a gloss to the eyes and perhaps the mouth.

That last shot is really cool! I forgot to take pics of mine in his robe.

edit: and BTW, your paintings are incredible! You say digital oils, so there is no canvas print of them?

Cheers mate.
Gloss and dull coat on its way.
The SW pics are just fan paintings, so no hard copies exist as yet.

:rotfl

I have a double-sided paint-pen (sounds fancy huh! :naughty)

one end is white, the other end is black... I usually use the white end for most of the eye, I use brushes and acrylic paints for the iris, and then for the pupil I just dot it lightly with the black end of the paint-pen... Then I give it a nice coating of gloss, and if I'm lucky, it looks like a human eye afterwards! :lol

Thanks Chakaman, you guys have been inspirational:rock

Trying an Obi now, doing the eyes using a Kolinsky sable 0/3
Couldn't find a pen. Shaved down his beard with a scalpel.

PICT0016-1.jpg

PICT0019.jpg

Back