Half-Life...3?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HL3 would just disappoint people at this point. Hell, they never even completed the episodes of HL2. We got 1 episode that ended on a cliff hanger. I was a huge fan of Valve, but I seriously doubt their ability as a game developer anymore. Their recent releases have just been them stepping in and taking some other team's ideas and putting a large budget behind it. Portal, L4D, Dota2, none of these were Valve's ideas.

I cannot imagine a game developed by them could even come close to fulfilling the hype. I might have cared a decade ago, but I have little to no interest in Gordon Freeman or the fate of Alyx Vance, etc.

I really don't care very much for an Episode 3, either. I loved HL2, mostly for the physics and graphics which were pretty advanced for the time. The storyline was also very compelling, with the post-apocalyptic narrative which included interdimensional aliens. But, other games have far surpassed HL2, in that regard, and I'm sure even more are bound to come.

Valve sat on their asses with this for far too long, and their complacency has forced one of their most beloved franchises into irrelevance.

I don't know if Valve was waiting for the next technical wow factor, I doubt there's anything in entertainment technology that could surprise us, or any other audience of any other medium, not like HL2's physics and lighting did, not even home holographic technology nor sexbots.

The only thing that can still surprise is a good story, and that early draft of Epistle 3 sounded fantastic, they should've released it if HL3 was up in the air anyway, even after episode 3, but I don't have any info to make any sort of judgment on Valve's reasoning, nor does anyone else, this isn't a Kojima situation where we have enough info to make a call, there are barely any scraps of random data to go by.

As is, there's no reason to believe they won't release any more HL in the future, since apparently last scrap of evidence that they've been developing for HL related stuff was 2014, they may very well still be at it, and evidence for L4D3 and portal as late as 2016 IIRC.

I haven't played every single game since HL2 came out, but I highly, *highly* doubt there's a single game out there that has surpassed its story, the concepts in HL and HL2 are too well understood, too well executed and the implications and magnitude too far reaching without being gratuitous in the slightest, such execution is only found in raw sci-fi novels, the story of HL2 is nothing short of a 2001: A Space Odyssey in videogame form, many games have derived from it, but I haven't seen one that has come close.

If Death Stranding is anything like I imagine it to be, then maybe that one has a chance, but I think it's more likely that it will be what Interstellar is to 2001.

I read that one of the biggest reasons we probably won't see HL3 is due to finances. Valve makes SO much money with Steam and micro-transactions that Half Life is just not worth investing resources in because it will basically be a drop in a bucket. So because they'd would put more into it than what they would get back... there's just no point. It makes sense, but it also doesn't. It makes me sad...

That's true, that's the only valid reason to doubt, Valve really doesn't have any incentive to make it, from the money PoV.

However, we have to keep in mind that Valve is currently developing 3 games, like, real games, as they say: "Not experiments", and Artifact isn't one of them.

By the time we'd get HL3 Gordon will look like this:

933bafc1ea7e213d1a17d6d76f0177c4-d7ax30c.png

:D

Back