Gun collecting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm sticking with .45ACP for it's proven stopping power. the recoil on it is fairly controllable. as with any caliber you just need to shoot with it enough to get used to the "kick". i won't go any higher because my practical purposes on a handgun round would only slow me down. i've shot a .44MAG and it was quite "illuminating" if you know what i mean. ;)

for fun i have a .308 M1A that's a lot of fun at the range! it's like "sonic boom!"

i also like the 5.7x28mm caliber that's exclusive to the FN Five Seven pistol. not much recoil and very good for longer distance shooting. i've got the ammo hoarded away. i just need to pick one up.

oh, for small guns i've been checking out the .380ACP round. anyone have personal experience with this? the Sig Sauer P232 is so sexy!

P232-Stain-detail-L.jpg

Do you all have a good FFL dealer in your state or do they over charge you? There is a few good ones in Southern California but there are a lot more rip off artists.
The ones around my area of NC charge between $20-25 for a FFL transfer.

i'm sticking with .45ACP for it's proven stopping power. the recoil on it is fairly controllable. as with any caliber you just need to shoot with it enough to get used to the "kick". i won't go any higher because my practical purposes on a handgun round would only slow me down. i've shot a .44MAG and it was quite "illuminating" if you know what i mean. ;.
I love the .45 ACP as well :gun I would say it's not for everyone though.

The .380 is a neat little gun, but I've heard people don't want to buy them much now because of the ammo. Owners have been complaining with how rare the ammo for that caliber has become.

Opinions.... on handguns...

What caliber is most recomended. 9mm, .40, or .45acp?

I don't want anything that will kick too hard... but I don't want a .22LR either.

I've shot a .32 which was'nt bad at all.

depends on what your purposes are. i refer to autos, i'd never use a revolver in a fight unless it's all i had.

punching paper, 9mm, .32, etc....

punching flesh .40sw, .45acp

looking silly/ignorant .50

personally, .45 it's like getting hit in the chest with a cinder block.
i've seen guys shot with 9mm multiple times and not fall down until they bled out, i've seen guys drop with one .45 to the chest.

as compacts go. the recoil isn't a huge problem unless you're using the larger caliber on a smaller compact frame. a 9mm or .40 compact recoil isn't bad enough to throw you off target, a .45 compact will drift a bit but it's not gonna hit you in the face or anything. full size frames, the recoil issue will be less.

i just bought a full size 1911 .45 (pics to follow once i get all the custom parts squared away), it's my second 1911. a 100 year old design, but still very reliable and accurate out of the box depending on the manufacturer.

i love my hk .45 usp compact and my socom but i'm a much better shot with a 1911. if hk made a true 1911 i'd fill my pants with every fluid in my body.

hey Mikey2Bullets, ever shoot a CZ 97b? i think it's similar to an IMI Jericho 941?

i'm considering getting that in a .45ACP _and_ the HK USP Compact or just go for the S&W PC1911.

ok, so i've decided to pass (for now) on a 1911. for the money i was going to spend on it i've decided to go for the CZ 97b and HK USP compact!

I myself own a walther p22, S&W 4013tsw 40 cal, the new HK45 full size, and the new member to the family- Kimber ultra carry II with laser grips and night sights.
I'll be getting a new shotgun here in a week or so. A Benelli M2 Tactical. Can't wait for that one...
Personally I like the 45 for home and self defense (until I get the shotgun). Take a look at the new HK45 compact before getting the USP compact. The grip is modeled after a 1911 which makes it comfortable in your hand. I noticed the USP grip was real wide kinda uncomfortable, and thats that I have big hands. Also what I like about the HK45 is the integrated picatinny rail so you can mount a tactical light. Its a first for HK. Any other model such as the USP you'll need to mount an adapter to the frame. Its no big deal just something to look at. Either way which ever you decide HK makes a good pistol. Kimber does as well. I still need to break in the ultra but its all good.
If you guys ever get a chance, shoot a 1911. You will feel the difference and then understand why they are so expensive. The accuracy and kick of a 1911 is like no other.....

the guy at the store said 9mm is fine for HD. .45 and shot guns will destroy your home! :lol

the guy at the store said 9mm is fine for HD. .45 and shot guns will destroy your home! :lol

not so, the velocity of a 9mm will cause it to over penetrate the houseguest and put holes in a wall or two before stopping. it also has poop for stopping power unless you hit the occular cavity or sever the spinal cord.

a slower/heavier .45 should stop 1/2 to 3/4 through the guy's torso or flatten out enough upon exit to stop in a wall behind the guy. also the energy transference is significant enough to take someone off their feet.

think of it as getting hit with a 90mph fastball, you probably won't go down.
now visualize a brick hitting you at 45mph. you will fall down.

that's part of the reason we moved back to .45's. it reduces the chance of collateral damage due to over penetration and an increase in dropping power. a shotgun will bring the need for much spackle and drywall patches.

my advice, don't miss.

Which is brings the question why cops have 9mm.

most don't anymore. there has been a paradigm shift to .40sw especially here in ny.

9mm rounds are also cheap and relatively plentiful. and having worked closely with police in the past, the mantra of the powers that be is budget, budget, budget. they don't think about the tactical issues, just the monetary ones. a lot of large dept's have deals with manufacturers to provide them with a mass amount of guns. 9mm guns are a tad less expensive than their larger cousins. when you buy in the dozens to hundreds, you see the savings.

however, most cops who are avid shooters outside of work carry 40's or 45's as their off duty or nightstand guns.

nice arsenal you have there pmtz2005! i've been eyeing Benelli shotguns. quite pricey but they're so niiiice! i already have 500 rounds of 00 buckshot stored away for it.

btw, i finally ordered scope rings for my leupold scope so i can use it on one of my rifles without iron sights. it's only a 1.5-5x since i don't really intend on shooting more than 100 yards with it. i can't wait to try it out!

Mikey speaks the truth, a 9mm will not drop a man when hit center mass. It will most likely take several shots. A .40 can, but a .45 WILL lay someone down. There is a reason that bullet is big, bulky and ugly.

Also, there are very few agencies anymore that carry 9mm, most are .40 and some departments are reissuing the 1911 .45.

got my kimber almost done. vz grips, wilson extended slide stop, kimpro mags, all it needs is the novak rail and the surefire x300. that'll be next week. pics will follow upon completion.

Back