Guillermo Del Toro's "At the Mountains of Madness"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biojex

Super Freak
Reaction score
The optimal altitude for missile deployment
It looks like it's finally coming!

Probably my most anticipated GDT project. I thought it would never happen but it looks like it might come to pass.
Finally, a H.P. Lovecraft story (and one of my favorites) will be made into high quality film!
:yess::yess::yess::yess:

Guillermo del Toro has reportedly lined up his next project, and it's understood to be his long-gestating adaptation of the H.P. Lovecraft classic, At the Mountains of Madness.

According to Deadline, del Toro will shoot Madness in 3D for Universal, with pre-production to commence in the coming weeks and filming finally set to begin next summer.

So what convinced the studio to finally commit to making the long-in-development horror film? Deadline claims it was the involvement of Oscar winner James Cameron, who has lent his name to the project and whose background in 3D will serve del Toro well on the film.

Del Toro will produce along with Don Murphy and Susan Montford, his longtime partners on the project who have been with it since it was first set-up at DreamWorks in 2004.

Del Toro also penned the screenplay adaptation with Matthew Robbins, with whom he has also collaborated on Mimic and the forthcoming Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. They're also developing The Haunted Mansion and Pinocchio together.

Revolving around an expedition into Antarctica that soon turns creepy, the story is considered the distillation of Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos that ran through a number of his stories, and has influenced numerous filmmakers, authors and artists. The thing Mountains has always had going for it is that del Toro is obsessed with the book. However, not even a director as bankable or with such a passionate following as him has been able to get it made... until now, apparently. Del Toro himself once summed up why it's such a gamble for studios: "It's R-rated and it's expensive and it doesn't have a happy ending."

https://movies.ign.com/articles/110/1109303p1.html

James Cameron being attached bodes very well.

Ahhhh!!!
Looking forward to it!!!

I wonder what will come out first... Don't be Afraid of the Dark, then this one, and Haunted Mansion last?...

No wonder he ditched the Hobbit, with so many cool projects on the list!!

Lovecraft and Del Toro :drool
... he's been trying to get this one going for quite awhile ...

I've been thinking about it, and you're right; a horror movie on this level could work well, assuming it's done the same way as Avatar. Not that I've seen Avatar. This would be a much cooler way to experience the new 3D for the first time.

Early script review, and wow, if this is the direction they're going in then they couldn't miss the point more. So much for Del Toro being the right man for the job.:slap

Quoting it in spoilers to be safe.

Spoiler Spoiler:

https://templeofghoul.blogspot.com/2010/08/at-mountains-of-madness-script-review.html

In short:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
But:

Before you read it, just a brief note - as it turns out, the version of the script this review is based on is a slightly older one: there were three more drafts after this one. See the PS note at the bottom of this text.

Besides, it's the reviewer's interpretation... how reliable is he?...

But:

Besides, it's the reviewer's interpretation... how reliable is he?...

Yes, and that gave me some hope, but in the PS his contact says that there has only been minor changes:

PS: In the meantime, I got a message from someone close to the production in reaction to my review, and he said that the version I read & reviewed above is older, an that there are some (minor, I'd say) changes in the current version.

I really hope that it's going to be revised a lot more though, and that they're only chucking action pieces in to see which work and which don't, but that is most likely idle hope. :( Hopefully Del Toro will reject it, but that depends on how involved he was in the writing of this script, on whether or not he made it clear what the writer had to include, or just let him run wild.

I don't know about the reviewer himself, but he did described things rather well, and he didn't come across as your typical BSing attention whore.

Ah well, hope for the best, prepare for the worst. :( It sounds like it'll still be a fun flick at least, but it would be such a giant waste of potential...

Yeah, read that yesterday. :monkey2:monkey2:monkey2 Really does suck, but it looks like Scott Pilgrim scared Universal off of taking risks, for now anyways.

But who knows. Maybe his next project, Pacific Rim (another flick with a couple dozen of monsters) will be a hit and the studio will be a bit more confident to let him try this then. Maybe. :(

baaaah. everyone should have read this piece before reaching age 16. its a given, most likely 99% of HP Lovecraft's novela is way better than a 3D re-imagined budget constraint flick anyway.

good riddance.

I am really pleased Del Torro has cast Tom Cruise

I really look forward to seeing Cruise work with one of the best imaginary directors

baaaah. everyone should have read this piece before reaching age 16. its a given, most likely 99% of HP Lovecraft's novela is way better than a 3D re-imagined budget constraint flick anyway.

good riddance.

It was going to be a R-Rated, $150 million dollar adaptation by a guy who's passionate for the books and has shown that he's a good, creative director. The 3D would have actually been used well for once, to really ____ with the viewer's head. Yeah, that early script was a big turn off, but who knows if that was even real or not an early draft that was tossed out. Not to mention that no matter if it would have been faithful or not, it would have been a R-rated high budget movie that doesn't compromise in a landscape of safe PG-13 flicks. It also could have opened the door for more movies based on Lovecraft's books, or more high budget R-rated movies, should it have been a big hit.

So I don't really see how you can say 'good riddance' to this. :dunno

Back