Premium Format Green Goblin

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know what other statues are coming out for this Spidey line? Was never a fan of Goblin's overall look personally but I'll get him if there aren't any better up coming companion pieces.

The portraits on XM pieces no offense, dont look that great

Their designs are top notch but I dont like any of their portraits except maybe Ms Marvel and Antman

Anyone know what other statues are coming out for this Spidey line? Was never a fan of Goblin's overall look personally but I'll get him if there aren't any better up coming companion pieces.

McFarlane Venom is rumored

Im guessing there will be a companion piece to Symbiote Spidey as well

Maybe Doc Ock Kraven or SCORPION

As I don't own any XM, what material(s) are used for their statues? The reason I ask is if XM uses polystone(?), how are they able to pull off extreme details, along with very elaborate concepts, with no fear of shipping or breakage? I assume they never use PVC? If not, I can't justify Sideshow's reasoning to do so. Look at XM's concepts for Darkness, & Witchblade, which will have a ton of small, delicate, intricate details. How are they able to pull it off & Sideshow can't? Really trying to get my head around this one.

solid polystone, i have hulk and he weighs over 50lbs. obviously the other statues they have done are smaller and therefore lighter but you get the idea.

as for why sideshows statues are not as detailed, it's very simple. they are cutting costs with less detailed statues and cheap materials. pvc is dirt cheap but relatively strong and is also very light. lightweight and easy to make means more in the bank for Sideshow. with less details that means an easier assembly line at the factory and less chance of defects to cut even more costs.

Sideshow use to use solid polystone but it is more expensive, both for the materials and for shipping because it is heavier. however XM blows away anything i have ever seen in the packaging department. there is no way that any of their statues will break.

solid polystone, i have hulk and he weighs over 50lbs. obviously the other statues they have done are smaller and therefore lighter but you get the idea.

as for why sideshows statues are not as detailed, it's very simple. they are cutting costs with less detailed statues and cheap materials. pvc is dirt cheap but relatively strong and is also very light. lightweight and easy to make means more in the bank for Sideshow. with less details that means an easier assembly line at the factory and less chance of defects to cut even more costs.

Sideshow use to use solid polystone but it is more expensive, both for the materials and for shipping because it is heavier. however XM blows away anything i have ever seen in the packaging department. there is no way that any of their statues will break.

Yeah, I suspect the same. I mean I never understood, or believed, any arguments stating that PVC holds details better than polystone. I've mentioned this before, but if you look at the skin detail captured in Sideshow's Berserker PF (from LOTR line), you can't help but be amazed! Every skin crease, tendon, & muscle are rendered to perfection, down to the cracks in his toenails! I mean, you can almost see the Berserker's skin pores, & this was done years ago, so what changed? Now, if it's purely a question of breakage(?), I would suggest SS invest in better packaging methods, rather than using cheaper materials, & therefore cheapening their product(s). Especially if they are going to raise prices, practically on a by monthly basis. It's like we are stuck in an old episode of The Twilight Zone.

McFarlane Venom is rumored

Im guessing there will be a companion piece to Symbiote Spidey as well

Maybe Doc Ock Kraven or SCORPION

I'd like to see what SS would do with Kraven, I like XMs take on the character but there's no way I'm paying the XM price to get it.

Hydro and Sandman might be interesting to see but not likely.

Yeah, I suspect the same. I mean I never understood, or believed, any arguments stating that PVC holds details better than polystone. I've mentioned this before, but if you look at the skin detail captured in Sideshow's Berserker PF (from LOTR line), you can't help but be amazed! Every skin crease, tendon, & muscle are rendered to perfection, down to the cracks in his toenails! I mean, you can almost see the Berserker's skin pores, & this was done years ago, so what changed? Now, if it's purely a question of breakage(?), I would suggest SS invest in better packaging methods, rather than using cheaper materials, & therefore cheapening their product(s). Especially if they are going to raise prices, practically on a by monthly basis. It's like we are stuck in an old episode of The Twilight Zone.

well the whole concept of making more money means that they raise prices and cut quality. that might eventually mean that they cut on packaging as well. there may be a day soon when there are no more art boxes from Sideshow. all pvc statues with plastic bases that weigh nothing and look just as cheap as they feel.

i really hope that i am wrong but i fear that this will all come to pass eventually.

well the whole concept of making more money means that they raise prices and cut quality. that might eventually mean that they cut on packaging as well. there may be a day soon when there are no more art boxes from Sideshow. all pvc statues with plastic bases that weigh nothing and look just as cheap as they feel.

i really hope that i am wrong but i fear that this will all come to pass eventually.

Nothing new man, that story repeats for quite some time.

SS won't improve the packing,it will cost money and they don't care about the costumer.

I missed the first spider man com so venom would be awesome for me at least. A lesser known symbote like Toxin would be really cool but very unlikely. Spider-Gwen would be badass, i just really like her costume. Probably stick to the very vanilla spider characters though.

As I don't own any XM, what material(s) are used for their statues? The reason I ask is if XM uses polystone(?), how are they able to pull off extreme details, along with very elaborate concepts, with no fear of shipping or breakage? I assume they never use PVC? If not, I can't justify Sideshow's reasoning to do so. Look at XM's concepts for Darkness, & Witchblade, which will have a ton of small, delicate, intricate details. How are they able to pull it off & Sideshow can't? Really trying to get my head around this one.

XM uses cold cast porcelain. It's one of the best materials for statues and the absolute best if you want something that in terms of weight and touch really feels like a statue - much more expensive than standard polystone, incredibly tough. Worths to mention that material can only do so much, if the delivery guy has the good habit of literally throwing and kicking your boxes, everything will break eventually. As somebody mentioned, the number one reason why XM has a much lower % of breakages is thanks to the incredible packaging.
Some companies are finally starting to use PU resin, which is better quality resin, more durable (and lighter). Basically, the whole polystone thing is a made up gimmick to give a sense of quality to a material that in reality is cheap and very low end.
PVC is probably the best material around to be 100% honest - as for everything, it comes in different grades and qualities so it's still up to what kind you use. As somebody mentioned, the Superman Reeve had casting lines all over the body so that's not exactly well looking. PVC is also more expensive as a material itself and in terms of production costs, unless production run is big enough to bring down costs - in which case it becomes cheaper than resin, on average (talking of runs of a few thousands of pieces at least).
I agree that for touch and weight, it feels cheap, also it's the typical material for toys and non limited action figures and dolls, so people tend to naturally link it to cheaper productions. Note that MOST of what you can achieve on PVC can be perfectly achieved on polystone/resin too - PVC really shines when it comes to simulate human skin and skin tones, Blitzway uses polystone bodies with PVC heads to give that extra level of detail and paint app. Even then, since comic characters don't require a hardcore level of realism, resin is a good enough material given a good QC and paint app - look at Prime1's prototypes, if production is consistent to prototypes, skin tones are pretty much perfect and with the right degree of realism.
At last, PVC is harder to break and more flexible, which makes it perfect for smaller parts of the sculpts and fragile pieces. But it has low resistance to heat, so it can bend in hot climates.
Overall I tend to agree with both parties on it - I think that when something can be reasonably done in resin, it should be done in resin. I know it's not purely rational but I like my statue to feel like a statue, like something made of actual stone. But at the same time, I completely agree on the use of PVC when it provides a superior rendition - mostly for tiny details, fragile parts and head sculpts.
I just demand for companies to be upfront about what materials they're using and in which parts of the sculpt, I simply think it's something they owe to their customers.

Sold a PCS piece on eBay

Id like to use funds for this. Are the gift certificates on the site applicable only to US residents?

Have money now, by the time this ships Id probably have spent it on something else

Id prefer to just pay in full now

Out of sight out of mind

Edit

Goblin from an opportunity cost perspective will cost me $300

Im trying to avoid currency conversion fees being international

Converting to USD is up to 7% spread

Back