"Got My Anakin!" Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oxbeard said:
Actually they will unless they are specifically for in stock items only. I used a coupon when I preordered PF Leia.

As far as some of the rants and tirades. I really think they are out of place and unwarranted. If you did not expect this preorder to generate enough traffic to overload the servers then you were simply dreaming. The new system simply weeds out non-newsletter subscribers for a couple of hours. It also redirects all of the subscribers to 1 page at the same time. Come on, you know it's going to take a while to get your order in and there are going to be some bumps along the way. I can see getting anxious, very anxious after the first hour has passed with no luck. I know I did, but that's still no reason to verbally attack Sideshow. Simply crazy, imho. :cool:

That's the first I've heard of this. Are you sure? Maybe they'll adjust your order at the time it processes, just like they said they would adjust orders that have more then one figure on order at the time of process for Anakin.
Could someone at Sideshow please clear this up? :confused:

FlyAndFight said:
We all logged into our SS accounts and our newsletter accounts without a hitch. It was getting into the pre-order link that caused the headaches.

This is not quite true. I tried to log in from about 1:12 EST and couldn't get into either my SS account or newsletter page or even the SS homepage until about about 1 hour and 15 minutes later. I got error messages the whole time on all those pages.

Still, it seems like most of us who really cared got our orders in, and so I'm happy that it seemed like the ES was just big enough to accomodate the rabid fanatics on the board. I took a zen approach to the excruciating 1 hour 20 refresh/waiting to order time by wrapping presents. Hard to get wildly angry when you're wrapping Christmas presents for kids.

:peace

I noticed Anakin won't be coming out til 2nd Quarter. I was hoping to get him at the same time as Luke. Oh well. Now that we've seen him, and he is amazing to behold, is there anything you'd alter? I'd change the robe. Looks too light. Perfect color for Kenobi, though. And it doesn't seem to sit quite right. Also the right sleeve needs to be able to tuck into the glove. FInally, I'm hoping the gloved hand has wrist movement!

I broke down and pre-orderd Anakin, I guess the sticker shock wore off after a few hours. It really is a fantastic figure and completely worth the price.

TheObsoleteMan said:
I broke down and pre-orderd Anakin, I guess the sticker shock wore off after a few hours. It really is a fantastic figure and completely worth the price.

Yup, I could not see how someone could spend $150 on a Medicom Luke and then ***** about $55 for a Anakin that comes with lots off accessories and clothing. Well worth the price.

For God's Sake, don't let SSC hear you! I was a bit miffed at the price. I had just gotten over the extra $10 for Luke. But I was contemplating the Medicom Luke before SSC announced theirs, so I really have no right to complain. Still, it's a bit disturbing to see the price increase like this when we're just two figures into the line. Hopefully, there's a cap. Just because they can charge us so much, doesn't mean they should.

I went to work and asked if it would be all right to place an order for Anakin today, not knowing when it the preorder would come up. My manager gave me the okay, and I waited about a half hour to check the website. Nothing. So I went back to work and eventually checked again. The pages loaded slowly but I managed to get to the preorder page, then I clicked on the purchase button without taking much of a look at the figure. I just couldn't get through. I would stop and go back or refresh the page. Once I accidentally went back too far, to my account page, I was not able to get back to the preorder page. After twenty or so minutes of company time I quit. Later, and about 12 minutes before 12pm (PST) I took an early lunch break and headed for a computer again. Although the pages still moved like Bugs Bunny on ether I managed to get to my account but then waited for minutes for the preorder page to appear. I decided to let it run and see if I would have better luck using another computer. I couldn't even bring up Sideshow's homepage and walked back to the first computer. To my suprise was Ani's face and I clicked on the purchase button. Surprisingly, the next couple of pages went by considerably faster (although still somewhat slow) and I got my order number. Success! I don't want to be doing this again, though. But, Darth Vader has still yet to be announced so I may just end up taking an early lunch break again someday and eating throughout the day later.

I got a wild idea

How bout this for a wild idea, since usually the edition sizes are not known right away, why doesn't the company take the preorders for a 24 hour period before the initial ordering and then set the limited edition sizes after that 24 hour period. That way they can get rid of this retarded, and frustrating system that was implimented today and they will not tick off about 90% of the customer base they have worked to achieve. At these odds, sooner than later all of us will be missing a figure or two in the line. I mean should it really consist of jumping through hoops, taking time away from work as I've heard some have to order a figure. After a 24 hour preorder period they would know approximately how many figures need to be made and offered as a standard order and could set the edition size accordingly. Or how bout this, If you are prepaired to take on some of the biggest licenses available, you'd better be prepaired to make bigger editions, or no limited editions at all.

Anakin sold out in record time, just at around 2 hours!! Imagine if Sideshow's servers were able to handle all the orders as they were being placed. If Sideshow Collectibles ever goes public I'll buy my shares as easily as I buy my figures (or as easily as I used to buy my figures). :joy :joy

I think they are doing this line justice so far, they said from the start these will be collectibles not mass produced toys. The size sounds ok to me.

I was a work and missed the exclusive so I ordered the regular.
Which okay because I don't need the holographic figure.

I got one for my five year old daughter. She's going to love it! Can't wait to see what is next. :)

Murderofcrows71 said:
How bout this for a wild idea, since usually the edition sizes are not known right away, why doesn't the company take the preorders for a 24 hour period before the initial ordering and then set the limited edition sizes after that 24 hour period. That way they can get rid of this retarded, and frustrating system that was implimented today and they will not tick off about 90% of the customer base they have worked to achieve. At these odds, sooner than later all of us will be missing a figure or two in the line. I mean should it really consist of jumping through hoops, taking time away from work as I've heard some have to order a figure. After a 24 hour preorder period they would know approximately how many figures need to be made and offered as a standard order and could set the edition size accordingly. Or how bout this, If you are prepaired to take on some of the biggest licenses available, you'd better be prepaired to make bigger editions, or no limited editions at all.

Because if everyone has the exclusive figure, then he isn't very exclusive. Everyone gets a shot at standard figure, just not the exclusive.

screamingmetal said:
That's the first I've heard of this. Are you sure? Maybe they'll adjust your order at the time it processes, just like they said they would adjust orders that have more then one figure on order at the time of process for Anakin.
Could someone at Sideshow please clear this up? :confused:

Policies do change and this one may have. But I used coupons on many LOTR preorders back when we used to have the 10% and 15% coupons and and those were always honored. Even on preorders that ended up getting delayed for several months.

Of course like I said, this may have recently changed. The coupon I used on the PF Leia was a podcast coupon and I don't recall it menioning that it had to be used on in-stock items only. :huh

Murderofcrows71 said:

Actually, I wish the edition sizes were much smaller than they already are. If I miss a statue, then no big deal. I missed the Han Exclusive 1/4, but I LOVE the 250 ES on that. I wouldn't want them to make more of them just so I could get one. I like my collectibles to actually be worth at least the money I paid for them.

If it was up to me, all the exclusives would have a 500 or less ES. I understand this isn't good business practice for SS when they can sell much, much more than that. I can dream can't I? LOL

I logged into my account and ordered the Anakin Exclusive in less than 5 minutes. I guess I missed all the drama. Bring on a 50 ES on the next exclusive! ;)

Frustration and the lot...

Morning all!

The day after the pre-order madness and I'm finally able to sit through and read this thread! Wow..:)

Anyway - I hope you all do realize that it is NOT our goal to make the process difficult. The process was obviously very 'painful' for many of you, and it is our duty to deliver a much improved system for the next pre-order.

There's always been a danger of server overload, looming like a shadow over every product we sell here. But things are being developed that will help insure stability. We are in the middle of making a deal that will make ordering from our website much easier, forever.:naughty

In an effort to better serve you, the entire web team reads these threads and the comments on the sideshowcollectibles.com site. It is the least we can do to better serve you. Besides the threats, etc - here's what I'm taking away from this entire discussion and we plan on having resolved for the next pre-order:

- Server/Software Errors - This was caused by the load on our servers. Our servers just didn't handle the demand for this figure (no? really Chris?:duh) - in fact, Anakin was the biggest spike of traffic ever in our history. The server requests were through the roof and honestly unexpected.

- Excessively Slow Loading - In the first hour, some customers were waiting minutes for a page to load. Completely unacceptable in our book - we will strive to resolve this as well.

- Need Hi-Speed to Order People were mentioning it was near impossible to order without a high speed connection. We've heard you too - and will make changes that should eliminate that handicap.

- No time to 'view' the figure - While I don't want to give any great ideas away, for the next pre-order, I believe we can resolve this without having to ask you to fight your way to the pre-order page again.

- No Email Announcement - Unfortunately I'm not sure Sideshow can do any more significant changes to our newsletter system that will make an email instantly appear in your email inboxes. There are limits to emailing tens of thousands people all at once - limits that Sideshow has no control over. We have tried to resolve this issue by providing each of our newsletter members with an alternate server to login and view the latest newsletter as soon as it is sent. We have also charged ourselves with making sure you are informed of the pre-order specifics a full week ahead of time (sometimes more). I hope that system is working for those of you who have taken advantage of it.

- Pre-Order Timing - Part of the plan of informing customers a full week ahead of time is to allow them to accommodate the timing of a pre-order. We unfortunately cannot please everyone - as we have a worldwide audience, in all different time-zones, with all different needs. There have been some suggestions posted on this thread which I guarantee our team will evaluate and take into account to make the timing of these pre-orders ideal.

- Priority Pre-Order - I'm a big fan of this system, because I believe it rewards our customer base. This was the first time we used the program, and it seems to me that it worked out well - unfortunately the server/software issues overshadowed the benefits of the program. We will reevaluate our program to make sure it is working for everyone who takes advantage of it.

I personally would like to thank you for your patience and understanding during these types of events. It is our utmost goal to serve you to the best of our ability, and as you can see from past situations, we are always improving the way we do things to make your experience better.

So if we don't get it at least better for next time - I will gladly dress up like...err. Never-mind..:p

Fantastic!

I think you guys did a fantastic job Chris! I said previously that the new system will work if you guys are improving the servers, and that is exactly what you are planning! A big cheer to the Sideshow web team!!! :banana

Thanks Chris for all the hard work you and your team put together. I took off work early to participate and it was exciting and a little frustrating. I would do it again...(yes, I have no life obviously). I am looking forward to the new changes.

Back