GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS - Legendary Pictures' Godzilla 2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can’t wait to see it again tomorrow.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I still can’t believe that all the amazing final act took place in Boston, action and sights I could only have dreamt of 5 years ago when the sequels were announced, have ultimately unfolded in a setting that was already very special to me.

I’m actually in Boston right now for the John Williams tribute concert and I’m looking around at all the skyscrapers and going “that got destroyed, that got knocked over.”

This movie transcends just being a movie for me and will always be dear to me for connecting me that much more to something that’s been part of almost my whole life.

Unfortunately there wasn’t enough destruction though you blink and Boston was decimated yet all I saw was the ass of the Super X plane lol

This movie can be made to go from good to great with an extended cut.

9B673C39-F13D-4465-8046-96E64D01B07A.jpeg

Boston was destroyed very quickly but for me, gloriously, that’s the difference between Ghidorah and MUTOs. Saw Godzilla smash Ghidorah through this building last night and now standing outside it tonight.

Just got back from my showing and I adored it

The absence Hedorah is an automatic point deduction.

The humans were fine. Honestly, their dynamic was charming enough and i love seeing Watanabe and Charles Dance chewing scenery. My only wish is that they had some scenes together.

Rodan was a sight to behold. He was beautiful and his score was one of my favorite parts.

Mothra I needed more of but what she did and how she was represented was the best we’ve seen of her. And she embodies what she’s always been since the Toho films

King Ghidorah: no, Jye I will not admit they fumbled Ghidorah. :lol He was at times a ****ing snake and other times satan himself delivering the apocalypse by hand...or wing. I never read the whole thing about each head having a personality so I didn’t have that expectation but now that you mentioned it, there were parts I recalled. Especially when he first emerged. I remember one head was easily distracted with the humans and the center head nipped at him to reign him in like he was saying “secure that ****, Hudson!” I loved everything about Ghidorah. And the fact he’s
Spoiler Spoiler:
made the movie for me. Because that opens up this monsterverse for the potential of others like him. Gigan *cough*

Godzilla was king. His entrance is one of the best he’s had. And his second entrance with that music is cinematic magic.

I have more to say but I’m tired.

I give it

9 flying Godzilla’s out of 10.

Last edited:
I could think of a lot of other cities I'd like to see destroyed before Boston!!! Godzilla, I will send you my list! :lol

Just got back from my showing and I adored it

The absence Hedorah is an automatic point deduction.

The humans were fine. Honestly, their dynamic was charming enough and i love seeing Watanabe and Charles Dance chewing scenery. My only wish is that they had some scenes together.

Rodan was a sight to behold. He was beautiful and his score was one of my favorite parts.

Mothra I needed more of but what she did and how she was represented was the best we’ve seen of her. And she embodies what she’s always been since the Toho films

King Ghidorah: no, Jye I will not admit they fumbled Ghidorah. :lol He was at times a ****ing snake and other times satan himself delivering the apocalypse by hand...or wing. I never read the whole thing about each head having a personality so I didn’t have that expectation but now that you mentioned it, there were parts I recalled. Especially when he first emerged. I remember one head was easily distracted with the humans and the center head nipped at him to reign him in like he was saying “secure that ****, Hudson!” I loved everything about Ghidorah. And the fact he’s
Spoiler Spoiler:
made the movie for me. Because that opens up this monsterverse for the potential of others like him. Gigan *cough*

Godzilla was king. His entrance is one of the best he’s had. And his second entrance with that music is cinematic magic.

I have more to say but I’m tired.

I give it

9 flying Godzilla’s out of 10.

Fair enough about KG.

Glad you enjoyed it and yes his 2nd entrance was perfection.

They really ramped up his power up sound loved it.

Admit it more destruction was needed lol

Last edited:
Ok I just sat down with the wife and revisited the battles in Monster Zero and DAM she never saw them before.

She asked me to never say a bad thing about KOM ever ever again lol

I've been a little bit down in the dumps lately, so that may have affected my viewing of this. I really enjoyed the setup of the first act and everything. That had me pretty pumped, but a lot of the human stuff did fall apart near the midpoint of the movie. The monster action and the introductions of the big Toho monsters was really cool.

I was a bit disappointed in
Spoiler Spoiler:

Fair enough about KG.

Glad you enjoyed it and yes his 2nd entrance was perfection.

They really ramped up his power up sound loved it.

Admit it more destruction was needed lol

They definitely needed to stop cutting back to the family so much in that final battle. :lol it’s a curse that plagues so many movies. It’s like a damn commercial break

God what a stinker. Its extremely rare that I flat out hate a movie, but this one made the cut.

Cool visuals and monster battles were the only thing going for it. The acting and story was so over the top and bad, I just couldn't get passed it.

I was hoping this would be as good as Skull Island, but unfortunately it doesn't even come close imo..

Just got back.

Overall I enjoyed it. If you like Toho Godzilla films then there is no reason at all to not enjoy this.

It played and felt just like a Toho movie. Lifting plot elements from several films in the series.

It was not without some issues though. The frustrating part about that is that those issues could have been easily fixed.

But first what I loved.

Godzilla. Godzilla felt like Godzilla in this film. One of my issues with the 14 version was that Godzilla never really felt like Godzilla. He could have been any monster. This film nailed the Toho Godzilla personality without the camp.

Ghidorah. Sorry Jye.. Not sure what you missed there but KG had a ton of personality. For a monster anyways. Very evil and cunning. There was an intelligence there and I enjoyed his screen time.

Godzilla and Ghidorah's first fight. Loved it. My 8 year self was awakened during that scene. Cant say enough about how magical it felt to me.
Tributes to Toho Godzilla action
Spoiler Spoiler:

Mothra's intro in the beginning. Always been a bigger fan of the Worm version of Mothra and I was again in this movie :)

Music. Great to here the classic themes.

Sound design. Freaking awesome. Loved the monster sound effects. Godzilla sounded a bit more like classic G, Ghidorah had some hints at the classic sound and Mothra very much had her classic screech.

What I thought was OK.

Human characters I thought actually started off just fine.. They all outstayed their welcome by the end. But much of that has to do with my main issue which again I will get to.

Rodan. I thought I would love Rodan.. The trailers ruined him in the fact that they showed almost all his best stuff. Had I not scene anything I think I would have liked him more.

Story. It was ok... Kinda got deeper then it needed. Would have preferred that the bad guys were just bad and good guys just good. Stay away from the twist.

What I didn't like

This is my biggest issue... Please for love of all things Kaiju.. Just stay on the monster action for like a solid 5 min without cutting back to the humans. Every time the battles get going they cut to the human drama.. I was fine with that in the earlier moments of the film but when we get the last battle.. Come on people. I mean I cared enough about some of the characters that I wanted them to make it out alive but not enough to cut back to them every 40 seconds. SO frustrating.

One of the things that makes watching Toho movie fun is the destruction of cities and watching that destruction.. Why these films don't just give us one classic moment of city destruction I do not know.

While there was way more Monsters in this then 2014.. It still could have used more Monster action. Just freaking go for it. Films like Pacific Rim and even Rampage seem to have a better grasp on this then the film based on the series that started it all.

Overall though I liked it. Not perfect but enough moments that gave me goosebumps and brought me back to being a kid again.

Scores for Monsterverse

G14 - 2.5 out of 4
Kong SI - 1.5 out of 5
G: KOTM - 3.5 out of 5 with moments of perfect 5 out of 5.

What I thought was going to give me problems, the human elements, ended up not being the case so I was surprised when I started having problems with the Kaiju elements specifically KG!

Wut you say!

Yes that’s right!

It seemed like they didn’t know how to properly handle KG they really struggled at giving it personality. They succeeded for the most part at giving it purpose but they fumbled miserably with the personality and that’s very unfortunate because I don’t mind doing that to the human characters but not with your main villain booo.

Admit it Maulfan and Biojex i’m right regarding KG lol

They got Rodan right way more than KG should’ve made him the main baddie.

Man oh man I disagree very much with you here. Loved KG. While watching the film I kept thinking.. Whats Jye's problem?? I even yelled it at the screen at one point :lol

While I was ok with the close-ups of the battles I do think that the final showdown suffered from the same problem as 14, they kept cutting away from the fight to focus on Millie. I wanted to see the city crumble and Kaiju having their faces being dragged thru rubble even more not Millie screaming.

Yep.. Very frustrating. This Kept from being an almost perfect Godzilla experience.

Unfortunately there wasn’t enough destruction though you blink and Boston was decimated yet all I saw was the ass of the Super X plane lol

This movie can be made to go from good to great with an extended cut.

Oh my Yes... Please give us an extended cut with more Monster action.. I don't think it will happen.. But man this film could easily be great with more monster action so that the cuts to the human's is not so frustrating.

That and the next film needs battles in a bright sunny day for crying out loud lol

I would like that also.. But Kong SI was all in the daylight and we know how that movie feels.. :lol

If we cant get an Extended cut I hope that was get more Monster action with less cutting away.

God what a stinker. Its extremely rare that I flat out hate a movie, but this one made the cut.

Cool visuals and monster battles were the only thing going for it. The acting and story was so over the top and bad, I just couldn't get passed it.

I was hoping this would be as good as Skull Island, but unfortunately it doesn't even come close imo..

Sorry you didn't enjoy it..

I thought the acting was fine... Though it did go down hill as the movie went on but that had more to do with the screen play and some silly lines. Story was a bit silly.

Skull Island?? Really? You liked that one better?

I actually liked Skull Island the first time I watched it.. Opinion changed dramatically after 2nd viewing and now I find it almost unwatchable

Man so far a great movie season for me I loved EG, liked Aladdin and liked/loved Godzilla!

Go jye!

Its been a weird summer from me.

Loved John Wick 3. So far its my fav film of the summer. Did not see that coming at all.

Liked Godzilla a lot.. Was hoping it would be my fav though. It needed more Monster action to beat John Wick

Endgame was a major disappointment. And though I did enjoy it more a 2nd time, I find the more I think about it the more I find it to be a very average Marvel movie. :(

So GKOM was just pretty good for you huh JAWS? Glad to hear it had elements you really like but I was hoping it would be a homerun for you.

Oh well at least you still have Rey defeating Kylo for a third time in a row to look forward to, lol. ;)

Sorry you didn't enjoy it..

I thought the acting was fine... Though it did go down hill as the movie went on but that had more to do with the screen play and some silly lines. Story was a bit silly.

Skull Island?? Really? You liked that one better?

I actually liked Skull Island the first time I watched it.. Opinion changed dramatically after 2nd viewing and now I find it almost unwatchable

Oh yeah, I love Skull Island! It may be a guilty pleasure of mine, but it’s super fun for me to watch. I could watch that helicopter attack scene over and over lol

I think you nailed it when you said KOM had Toho’s style without the camp. If the flick didn’t feel like it was trying to take itself so seriously, and just embraced some camp, it would have helped a lot for me. Making it fun seems to go a long way with making a ridiculous premise easier to swallow. All those serious scenes with people getting emotional with Godzilla just killed it for me especially.

Back