Godzilla Collectibles Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of paint jobs, how goes the repaint of the Bandai Shin MaulFan?

Coming along, I took a pause, they're running a poster design contest for Kong: Skull Island that ends on the 23rd so I've been brainstorming and working on entries for that, then I'm going to resume the repaint. Also not rushing, I've had my son a lot lately and he's 2 and a half and wearing me out where I'm not in the right mind to paint :lol

In the meantime, here are some nice, high res pics of NECA Shin Godzilla from Toy Fair thanks to Dread Central.

Godzilla-6.jpg

Godzilla-7.jpg

Godzilla-8.jpg

Godzilla-9.jpg

Godzilla-10.jpg

Godzilla-11.jpg

Godzilla-12.jpg

XSftr8lPACVAO7aa18amN6rQ9sPGSVnr1Eak0YI99j8.jpg

Statue of shin godzilla disgusting tail. Other pictures show that it has an eye inside it. Gross.

For anybody who has got the cash (and while supplies last), on Kaiyodo's sales website, https://kaiyodo.ecq.sc/they have their remaining inventory of the exclusive Wonder Festival 2017 Shin Godzilla vinyl model kit. This is the vinyl model kit molded in hard red vinyl of the 50 cm tall Shin Godzilla maquette which sold out last summer and is a replica of the maquette sculpted by Takyuki Takeya which was CG scanned for the film. If you've got access to a proxy buyer site like From Japan, Buyee or Rinkya, I suggest grabbing one before they go. I'm trying to lock one down for myself as we speak. Good luck.

Yup, on one end that tail in fluid motion while on the other end his head showing emotion.

I was never able to get the gigantic GMK and 2000, 2 of my favorite pieces out there in Godzilla land, so getting this probably won't be in my cards either but damn if he isn't worth selling a kidney in the chinese black market.

Hey jye. When the Gigantic Shin goes up for sale, go to Flossies Gifts and John can sale you one and put it on layaway for ya. That way you can snag one and not have to go on dialysis.

Coming along, I took a pause, they're running a poster design contest for Kong: Skull Island that ends on the 23rd so I've been brainstorming and working on entries for that, then I'm going to resume the repaint. Also not rushing, I've had my son a lot lately and he's 2 and a half and wearing me out where I'm not in the right mind to paint :lol

Yup kids will do that.

I was about to start filming my NECA Batman, everything was set up ready to go and my son comes into the room asking for help with homework, that was the end of that filming session. :lol

In the meantime, here are some nice, high res pics of NECA Shin Godzilla from Toy Fair thanks to Dread Central.

Godzilla-8.jpg

Crap.

Hey jye. When the Gigantic Shin goes up for sale, go to Flossies Gifts and John can sale you one and put it on layaway for ya. That way you can snag one and not have to go on dialysis.

I just might do that. :hi5:

Last edited:
I figure it like this. The yen price comes to around $570USD. Add in treasure japan's 13% commission of $74USD. I guess what, $40USD to ship? So really $684USD to blow on a vinyl kit. Now if it's rare and will appreciate in value, (do kits really appreciate much?) then I would not want to build it and it would just sit in a box forever until I thought I could make a decent profit on it or just have the satisfaction of knowing that I own a really rare kit.

Ohhhh ok gotcha.

I stay away from kits I don't have the skill. I'd spend all that money just to have my shin look like a burnt gumby.

Thank goodness for this gigantic shin. I can abort the kaiyodo fantasy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think they used this pic as a reference ... from the universal studios ride
ff6356e5fceb2603cea7c53a5ec3059d.jpg

I love it. My Gigantic burning godzilla is stylized...it's still hands down the best BG figure in the market

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I figure it like this. The yen price comes to around $570USD. Add in treasure japan's 13% commission of $74USD. I guess what, $40USD to ship? So really $684USD to blow on a vinyl kit. Now if it's rare and will appreciate in value, (do kits really appreciate much?) then I would not want to build it and it would just sit in a box forever until I thought I could make a decent profit on it or just have the satisfaction of knowing that I own a really rare kit.

As a person that has collected over 400 kits over the years, your points are very valid. In most cases, kits do NOT appreciate in value, unless you are talking about Sakai kits. Obviously, there are exceptions, and just like anything else, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Last year, someone presented me with an offer that I couldn't refuse. Monster Maker 28 produced all of the monsters from GMK.(Currently the MM28 Ghidorah is being produced by X-Plus.) He wanted the Baragon in the worst way and offered me $800 for it when I told him I wouldn't break up the set. It only cost me $150, so it was a no brainer.

Kits appreciate when they are unbuilt in the original box or exceptionally well constructed and painted. I have found that if you are in it for investment, X-Plus figures have a higher upside and you actually get to enjoy them, unlike model kits that sit in a box in pieces. I would love to have the Kaiyodo Shin just to say I have it, but it's not worth it. I did briefly consider it a couple of days ago, but I'm glad I didn't give into the impulse.

As a person that has collected over 400 kits over the years, your points are very valid. In most cases, kits do NOT appreciate in value, unless you are talking about Sakai kits. Obviously, there are exceptions, and just like anything else, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Last year, someone presented me with an offer that I couldn't refuse. Monster Maker 28 produced all of the monsters from GMK.(Currently the MM28 Ghidorah is being produced by X-Plus.) He wanted the Baragon in the worst way and offered me $800 for it when I told him I wouldn't break up the set. It only cost me $150, so it was a no brainer.

Kits appreciate when they are unbuilt in the original box or exceptionally well constructed and painted. I have found that if you are in it for investment, X-Plus figures have a higher upside and you actually get to enjoy them, unlike model kits that sit in a box in pieces. I would love to have the Kaiyodo Shin just to say I have it, but it's not worth it. I did briefly consider it a couple of days ago, but I'm glad I didn't give into the impulse.

Kits are all over, when I first found out about the Sakai 8" Kaiyodo '84, every eBay seller wanted like $300+ for just the kit in box and I'd still need to get it built up. Years of patience and I finally snagged one for $50, seller had a number of the 8" Kaiyodos, surely needed to unload them more than make money.

I'd love to see someone get the Shin kit and paint it like the movie instead of the maquette.

Gigantic Shin is now my favorite looking Godzilla collectible, surpassing even the gigantic 2000 and GMK which I love so much and even the Burning which I do own.

Back