Godzilla Collectibles Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This monster showed up today.

evysu6u4.jpg

4a8uqanu.jpg

Congrats ZillaFan! That is one awesome piece of LARGE VINYL!!! :clap :hi5:

Hoping to make it. I got work til about 1 so I'll probably hit there afterwards.

Saw this guys work on my facebook and blew me away. This crushes any godzilla in my collection. 18inches tall of 1991 badassery.

5ury8ahu.jpg

jydeza3u.jpg

2azyrytu.jpg

anebujed.jpg

I saw this on FB too! It is indeed a masterpiece nearing completion! Maybe X-Plus will buy the rights to this sculpt too and mass produce it as a vinyl figure? One can hope, right?!

Congrats ZillaFan! That is one awesome piece of LARGE VINYL!!! :clap :hi5:

I saw this on FB too! It is indeed a masterpiece nearing completion! Maybe X-Plus will buy the rights to this sculpt too and mass produce it as a vinyl figure? One can hope, right?!
One can hope. Ive been speaking with the artist and he wants to get it cast and produced but he's having a hard time finding a way that isn't too financially damaging. So he said he's not been motivated to finish it. I kind of rooted him on though so I hope he does. I saw his other work and this one is clearly his masterpiece so he should see it through.

It doesn't look as stupid, but it still looks too much like a caricature. I see that and I think, "pig". It looks like a pig.
Looks a little like the Creature from the black lagoon to me. Haha.

I agree the body needs tweaked too.

I don't know the specifics of their licensing, but NECA could have really done themselves a huge favor by gunning for some of the Showa Godzilla's first, especially the '64 because not only is it a hugely popular design but it was the one design that they probably a fair shot at improving upon over the MonsterArts (maybe not sculpt but without the seam gaps and the space between the spines). And if they came out the gate with some of that, or say a Godzilla '68, '62 or '74 they would have excited a lot of people. I'd say '54 but I don't think NECA will do a good '54 from what I've seen but I think they can handle the others. But instead, they did it their way and they have come out with a mediocre '94 and a butt-ugly '84. Yes, their 2014s look good and capture the "accurate", calmer looks of the monster, but without renders to go off of of the older designs they are not impressing.

MonsterArts' next big announcement should be soon and I'm looking forward to it. 2014 we've known about. The "Rebirth" is nice but it was just a quick buck for them. But I'm sure they have something planned. Maybe FINALLY a '89? Maybe an '84 to combat NECA's grinch version? Or since we've seen Millennium Gigan and Kiryu, maybe more millennium Godzillas? I'd still LOVE to see a GMK (in fact, him, '89 and '62 are probably top my wishlist) Godzilla but they haven't touched that film yet.

There was a recent interview with SHMA, I think they said they don't have much more to announce for 2014, surely they would have had something out during cons.

NECA has chose to work back from 2014 to 1954.

MonsterArts just needs to go home.

Leave the American Godzilla to the Americans.

:lol Touche.

Regarding the varying opinions, however: They're opinions. We're not supposed to all agree, necessarily. I like the SH version of Legendary G. better than NECA's. Does that mean it's more accurate? No. But me feeling differently about it than you shouldn't be offensive. This is a message board after all, and after spending a year on these forums, differing opinions is the least strange thing I've seen, lol. Don't even get me started on the cat pictures...

There was a recent interview with SHMA, I think they said they don't have much more to announce for 2014, surely they would have had something out during cons.

NECA has chose to work back from 2014 to 1954.
That's a bummer. And hmm if Neca is starting backwards they are skipping the entire millennium series im guessing. That sucks. As much as I like my shma 2000 (thanks Joda) I'd like to see one based on-screen as well.

Yeah, I hope for a NECA suit based Godzilla 2000 at some point, if done well I'm eager to see '54. NECA seems to go by their own fandom as much as what collectors want, maybe they don't think highly of the Millennium era, it is the weakest era of the 3. Randy's big on doing things from when he was a fan so I'm sure Showa era will see plenty of love.

Besides my fav, 84, I'd like to see NECA do 54, 62, 74, 89, 99 & 01 myself.

One can hope. Ive been speaking with the artist and he wants to get it cast and produced but he's having a hard time finding a way that isn't too financially damaging. So he said he's not been motivated to finish it. I kind of rooted him on though so I hope he does. I saw his other work and this one is clearly his masterpiece so he should see it through.

Yes, please encourage him to finish! It will be such a waste if he doesn't. Its so beautiful so far!

MonsterArts' next big announcement should be soon and I'm looking forward to it. 2014 we've known about. The "Rebirth" is nice but it was just a quick buck for them. But I'm sure they have something planned. Maybe FINALLY a '89? Maybe an '84 to combat NECA's grinch version? Or since we've seen Millennium Gigan and Kiryu, maybe more millennium Godzillas? I'd still LOVE to see a GMK (in fact, him, '89 and '62 are probably top my wishlist) Godzilla but they haven't touched that film yet.

Only 1-2 Godzilla's per year.

I attended the toy-model event in NJ today, went there specfically looking for Godzilla, walked away with this instead. :lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 254
Necas godzilla looks great because it's from the digital file (but then so are many of the other toys out there of legendary G, like the Japanese cup topper, a simplified jakks, etc....this explains the shortcomings of the other godzillas shown by neca....

That said, even though Sakai's G isn't accurate, he has done a decent job....for a sculpt that's not from the digital file, and it being "sculpterly" in his usual render, it's pretty good considering the other hand sculpted items we got from bandai America (excluding the hyper sized G from the destruction series and the new vinyls -u.s. And japan- coming out)

The artists who have typically captured Godzilla with great success,
I'm talking about two masters, Art Adams and Yuji Sakai have both had difficulty in capturing a really definitive likeness of Legendary G.
That's a good sign of its uniqueness and that time will still determine for us what makes that godzilla truly stand out......

It's like when vader first appeared....all anyone saw was the triangular mouth, black silhouette and samurai dome. And that was enough to depict him....still is for some. But now we've become so familiar, with him, the nitpicks are rather intense....down to details we know to exist but are perhaps never seen on screen.

For me, the stance for Legendary is really characteristic of his design.....the way the arms can hang down vs the typical bent elbow look of the Heisei and millennial G's....one reason the sh monsterarts looks weird....always in outlandish poses to showcase the articulation, but it doesn't help to establish his uniqueness as legendary G.....

The broken glass look of his dorsal spikes which are symmetrical all the way down his back on both sides, the short, square muzzle, small eyes, square head, webbed fingers, turtle legs and feet, armored hide vs the tree bark "burnt" texture of the skin we've become so familiar with....tapeworm-like segmented tail, vs the long flexible fat tail we've gotten used to.....these are things that seem to define his look

I attended the toy-model event in NJ today, went there specfically looking for Godzilla, walked away with this instead. :lol

So you gonna put him to work?

Oh wait, you meant the Stormtrooper... :wink1:

:lol

Only Xplus at the show were 54 and 74 Mecha.

There was a resin of 64 and 2 busts, one for 2000 and one generic.

There was a round frame with Godzilla heads glued to the plate going around the edge, looked amazing.

The 2000 bust was also incredible.

But walked away empty handed.

Then I took my family to the camp and town where 1980 F13th Part 1 was filmed. :lol

I went to. Got there at like 4pm so they just let us in for free. I picked up a godzilla '84 shirt, deadpool shirt, and a '62 godzilla resin bust. Im going to try my first resin kit. If I love it then I'll start getting intob that game. I do like the idea of painting them how I like to paint them.

Back