Media God of War 4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THIS is brilliantly said, and I couldn't agree more. In my opinion, if something's not broke, don't fix it. But, we've seen developers do the exact opposite, time and time again, with franchises like Sonic, the more recent RE games, and I'd even say MGS V to an extent.

If it's the case that a game's getting too old for the fanbase, they should create a new game entirely with a different protagonist, and put the old franchises to rest. Although, I think Sony Santa Monica could've done so much more that they previously weren't able to, by recreating a traditional GOW game with PS4 technology - with bigger environments, better graphics, and more enemies on screen. I would've loved to have seen that, and in fact, I was expecting that for GOW 4 before I saw the E3 trailer.

As for Ascension, I've been meaning to play it, but what you're describing sounds pretty horrible :lol. I can see why it was generally panned...

The thing is God of War is a popular brand for Sony and Kratos is one of the most recognizable characters in gaming. So trying something new with a familiar brand with already a huge fan base makes sense business wise, there's not one game franchise that doesn't get milked to death these days. I think in this case, God of War definitely needed a revamp, and Kratos as a character needed one badly, by the end of GOW 3 he really became a parody of himself. To me, even GOW 3 suffered from a lack of new ideas, and Ascension was really made for the multiplayer, the single player was totally an afterthought.

I'm already liking this new Kratos far more than the one we got in Ascension, Ghost of Sparta, and GOW3, and this new voice actor has me sold. My only real worry is some story stuff has the potential to be cheap plot devices and I hope there's a better balance of story and gameplay compared to ND games. I was pretty much done with the series after Ascension but this new GOW has me excited again.

Ive been waiting for a 3rd person weapon based game, where the camera is tight behind the player back. Strange that it hasn't been done yet.

Kratos looks... different. Totally different guy, only similarity is body paint and and baldness. Doesn't make sense he looks Icelandic but whatever.
I think the VA is the same right? Just a different nuance to the voice. I like consistencies like that in games *cough*MGSV*cough*

Overall i look forward to this, lll miss the combo style combat, but GOW needed a revamp

He looks relatively the same to me, he's just older and has a full beard. Voice actor isn't the same.

There was never consistency with Big Boss' voice acting since the beginning in my opinion. He should have never had the same voice as Solid Snake, then he has a totally different voice in MGS4, then he's back to having the same voice as Solid Snake in PO and PW, then Kiefer took over for GZ and TPP. For there to be any consistency, Cygan would have had to voiced him since MGS3 on.

New it's a entirely new voice actor.

And Ascension wasn't panned. It got good scores. It just wasn't as great as the other games before.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ascension wasn't very good at all in my opinion. There was barely any character development for Kratos, the gameplay was nerfed really bad, and overall the campaign just felt like a step back for the series in every way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THIS is brilliantly said, and I couldn't agree more. In my opinion, if something's not broke, don't fix it. But, we've seen developers do the exact opposite, time and time again, with franchises like Sonic, the more recent RE games, and I'd even say MGS V to an extent.

If it's the case that a game's getting too old for the fanbase, they should create a new game entirely with a different protagonist, and put the old franchises to rest. Although, I think Sony Santa Monica could've done so much more that they previously weren't able to, by recreating a traditional GOW game with PS4 technology - with bigger environments, better graphics, and more enemies on screen. I would've loved to have seen that, and in fact, I was expecting that for GOW 4 before I saw the E3 trailer.

As for Ascension, I've been meaning to play it, but what you're describing sounds pretty horrible :lol. I can see why it was generally panned...
Yeah, it happens too much. It's mostly since reviewers ***** about that waaaaaaaaaaaay too much. It can be really stupid too, but I think companies will usually take the critics above all else since the critics usually determine sales for non-fans and what not. Thankfully this isn't the case as of late.

And true on creating a new IP altogether. Bloodborne did this, a new setting, gameplay changes yet was similar to Souls. And seeing GoW with the PS4 capabilities would be awe inspiring, so many enemies and huge vistas...I almost want a remake in the style of Ratchet and Clank for PS4, it could fix the few problems the first GoW had and make an even journey.

It got panned by fans. It's the first GoW I had no real motivation to finish at times, and have no real intention of platinuming or just replaying. If they remaster it, I hope they fix the gameplay and bring it back to II/III. Also I agree with pturtle, though I do like III's Kratos and III in general but everything else he said is fitting.

The Nordic Gods were much more benevolent so I am curious to see if they show Kratos working with them, I also wonder how death works in the world. Do certain gods hold dominion and power over certain parts of the world, that would be an interesting concept.

I just had to watch the live reaction.
It´s insane how all those people cheer for Kratos. You need to watch this:

Cory Barlog lifts his head and just smiles.

Everyone was waiting for this and I´m SO on board with something new, but still faithful.

I´m really looking forward where this is going storywise.
Did Kratos just wash ashore on the remains of society, which happens to be the north?
Do all those Gods essentially live at the same time?
Is this maybe the same area around mount olympus, hundreds of years later and new gods emerged from something left over by the greek gods?
Are the north gods actually ancestors of the greek gods in this?

Effin´****ing my pants over this.
:panic::clap

See I thought Ascension was still a pretty fun game. The story was the lacking area to be sure but I thought the game play was fun. It had fantastic boss battles. It was beautiful looking. And I loved pummeling people with Kratos' fist's for once. In fact the small changes they made to the combat, such as how they linked attacks and combos and grapples was all well done.

It just didn't have that epic, cinematic plot.

The online feature didn't hinder the game imo...it was entertaining for a few weeks...but being a forced prequel in a very stiff time slot with very limited opponents to choose from that would still give the game that scale hindered it more imo. They were desperate to fit Ascension in.

I just had to watch the live reaction.
It´s insane how all those people cheer for Kratos. You need to watch this:

Cory Barlog lifts his head and just smiles.

Everyone was waiting for this and I´m SO on board with something new, but still faithful.

I´m really looking forward where this is going storywise.
Did Kratos just wash ashore on the remains of society, which happens to be the north?
Do all those Gods essentially live at the same time?
Is this maybe the same area around mount olympus, hundreds of years later and new gods emerged from something left over by the greek gods?
Are the north gods actually ancestors of the greek gods in this?

Effin´****ing my pants over this.
[emoji14]anic::clap

Yeah that's all running through my kind as well. Is he going to end up waging war against these gods? If he does, what causes it? Will it make him lose control and become that monster once again...the destroyer of worlds as Zeus called him...or is this truly going to be a new, more self-aware Kratos at war?

Yeah that's all running through my kind as well. Is he going to end up waging war against these gods? If he does, what causes it? Will it make him lose control and become that monster once again...the destroyer of worlds as Zeus called him...or is this truly going to be a new, more self-aware Kratos at war?

Exactly, although I tend to think that Barlog andf the team will keep the theme of revenge, but adding more conscience to that.
Conscience that he needs to watch his steps, cause his son is with him.
But maybe the north gods cause the death of his son, which brings the monster back and we´ll get a sequence with old controls?
So much to think about.

:yess:

One of the things I'm most surprised about is actually how far Kratos came from his patriotic Spartan allegiance. That was the one thing I felt he was most loyal too.

Maybe it's since they are completely gone by now, since in GoW III he summoned them and it was Rage of Sparta in GoW III though he is most loyal them. They never really turned their back on him, unlike everyone else who was terrified to the point of where they never wanted anything to do with him.

I think Kratos really let go of everything after III really, that's why he's got a new family. In the old games he probably wouldn't have bothered since Gaia notes he never found love with any other woman after Lysandre's death.

See I thought Ascension was still a pretty fun game. The story was the lacking area to be sure but I thought the game play was fun. It had fantastic boss battles. It was beautiful looking. And I loved pummeling people with Kratos' fist's for once. In fact the small changes they made to the combat, such as how they linked attacks and combos and grapples was all well done.

It just didn't have that epic, cinematic plot.

The online feature didn't hinder the game imo...it was entertaining for a few weeks...but being a forced prequel in a very stiff time slot with very limited opponents to choose from that would still give the game that scale hindered it more imo. They were desperate to fit Ascension in.

I did too, but I also understand why so many people don't like it. I will say that even though it's the weakest game in the series, it's still better than a mjority of the other games on the market. And it was still really fun to play through IMO. The plot was definitely the weakest aspect of the game unfortunately, but I try to rationalize it as a "side story" in the Kratos arc.

It was. A very forced side Story. One that they made up out of the blue out of consumer demand to put kratos on the ps4.

Maybe it's since they are completely gone by now, since in GoW III he summoned them and it was Rage of Sparta in GoW III though he is most loyal them. They never really turned their back on him, unlike everyone else who was terrified to the point of where they never wanted anything to do with him.

I think Kratos really let go of everything after III really, that's why he's got a new family. In the old games he probably wouldn't have bothered since Gaia notes he never found love with any other woman after Lysandre's death.
I'm sure they'll address it...but to me that's how he always mainly identified himself. I mean he became Ares' disciple for glory to Sparta (maybe selfish pride too). I wonder if Kratos achieves a higher state of living after part 3 or if he becomes a broken man again. And he could enter Hades at will i wonder why he wasn't with his family unless in the destruction the Elysian Fields were destroyed. So. Many. Questions.

Some potential spoilers below. It's all just speculation but do not read past this if you want to go into this game blind.

Getting more hyped. So the three prevalent theories so far for this new adventure:

- Kratos becomes Odin eventually and his son is Thor since his sons arrow's have an apparent lightning ability.

- Kratos banged Thor's wife and had this kid, whom might be Ullr who is a great archer god in Norse Mythology. Now Thor wants vengeance.

- Or Kratos' kid is actually Ragnarok and once again there might be a prophecy that makes the God's fearful and Kratos has to protect his son from waves of Asgard.

They are keeping this kids name a secret for good reason. And apparently there are ghosts in the trailer with helmets shaped like the one worn by Loki.

Some potential spoilers below. It's all just speculation but do not read past this if you want to go into this game blind.

Getting more hyped. So the three prevalent theories so far for this new adventure:

- Kratos becomes Odin eventually and his son is Thor since his sons arrow's have an apparent lightning ability.

- Kratos banged Thor's wife and had this kid, whom might be Ullr who is a great archer god in Norse Mythology. Now Thor wants vengeance.

- Or Kratos' kid is actually Ragnarok and once again there might be a prophecy that makes the God's fearful and Kratos has to protect his son from waves of Asgard.

They are keeping this kids name a secret for good reason. And apparently there are ghosts in the trailer with helmets shaped like the one worn by Loki.

Ragnarok would be the best of those 3 theories and would make for a really compelling game, although the game starting out with Kratos banging Thor’s wife is very Kratos :lol

^ It totally is :lol Ragnarok would be a nice twist actually, because Kratos has been in that spot and even had a brother in that situation. I would prefer that above anytihng else.

I am very intrigued by the second two. I even like the first one I just don't see how kratos' name would become odin. Hopefully the crew have something in store that is as satisfactory as the Ragnarok idea if not even moreso.

Apparently even in Norse myths, Sif had Ullr with an unnamed man or diety. So, Kratos can be a perfect shoe-in for theory number 2 as well.

When's this thing out again? Might trade my PS4 for the new "neo" if there's any sort of promotion around that time (there's always those) since we are eyeing a 4K tv. Might as well.

I think the Lightning from the bow is just from a customisable rune. I remember the director saying that you can equip the kid with different items. Possibly the same with Kratos' axe, we might be able to infuse it with different elements.

Back