Media God of War 4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never been a fan of 'hack & slash" type of game, so this will be my first try with GOW.
Looking forward to it.

Ps. I haven't finish a single game since i bought a ps4.... Either I dont have the time or I've lost interest - -"

Don't worry, I've played every MGS, and haven't beaten a single one. :lol

I like the new camera style they did. It was so annoying playing other games and then getting into this and some angles just didn't work in parts of the game. Glad I can actually hunt collectibles without have **** camera angles.
The MGS fanbase will probably put you on their hitlist after they're done trying to kill me :lol

Some angles didn't really work in God of War, can't remember a few off the top of my head but generally you may not see an enemy doing...something.

On one hand, I agree. On the other, Kratos never got a lot of character development, which looks as if it'll change this time around, which makes me extremely happy. I can see him dying at the end of this game though, and his son continuing his work in the next ones.
I think, knowing God of War, it's more likely the boy gets killed and Kratos goes all "ZEUSSSSSSS!!!!!!" again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think, knowing God of War, it's more likely the boy gets killed and Kratos goes all "ZEUSSSSSSS!!!!!!" again.

It could happen, but I don't think so. Rather, Kratos and his new wife will die and his son will go all "ODIIIIIIIIIIIIN!!!!!!!!!!"...

It could happen, but I don't think so. Rather, Kratos and his new wife will die and his son will go all "ODIIIIIIIIIIIIN!!!!!!!!!!"...
I'd be shocked if they kill kratos again right after killing him in 3 but we shall see. I think this will be a new kratos trilogy lol

This looks to be the first GOW game i can actually finish. Not a fan of hack and slash games like the series has been so far, but this looks like a whole different type of game. Like they are taking it more seriously with better storytelling.

Hmm..I always considered the first God of War to be such a complete experience. It played like a fun game and felt like a whole cinematic journey. Thought it had a great story. The only other game in the series to try to really establish a strong story like that was Ghost of Sparta and GoW2. Chains of Olympus felt bare with a couple of great moments (him reuniting with his daughter for I stance). Ascension and GoW3 were just great boss battles and graphics. But the first game...the intro, the adventure, the flashbacks, the boss battle and payoff were all superb.

Implying anything can permanently kill Kratos at this point

giphy.gif

So T.C. Carson isn't voicing Kratos anymore?

Either way I'm liking how Kratos sounds in this, a lot more subdued compared to the older games, but I'm not a fan of him having another family and settling down again. This almost seems taken straight out of Margneto's arc from Apocalypse and that's not a good thing.

I'm also not a fan of how they're trying to make Kratos more relatable, this seems like ND take on the God of War franchise. Hopefully the story is good because Ascension and GOW 3 story were so horrible, I'm hoping with the GOW 2 director coming back that this will be a return to form for the series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like Carson...but it kind of doesn't, it's the performance in this maybe but I'm not a fan of him having a new family, cause I can see history repeating itself. Also they need to stop making Kratos more relatable, it was already done well in the original trilogy, and it ruined Ascension for me.

If that's Carson he got range.

I don't think he was really relatable in 2 or 3 but I don't think he needed to be. He's one of the few actually anti-heroes in gaming that's just plane badass. Gamers today want their characters to be overly emotional sarcastic ND characters and thats just something I don't really want to see in God of War. I don't mind them trying to ground him but I'm not a fan of how they're trying to do it based on that trailer.

Overall, the game does look great though.

The moment when he reached for his son's shoulder and stopped got me. Hopefully they can do something interesting with the character, push some new gameplay boundaries, and make a new classic for the new generation.

All I'm going to say is...

This is God of War:

This is totally God of War:

And this is God of War, too:

The series is an unapologetic, unadulterated bloodfest of an arcade game with a storyline on a man hell bent for revenge. This new game is The Last of War. I don't want to see Kratos, the newly reformed father, trying to raise his son, in an emotionally gripping tale. Those belong in Naughty Dog games. I want to see a deranged lunatic laying waste to hordes of enemies and powerful gods, because that's what Kratos does, and that's who he is. The opening scene for this new game should've had him in an orgy with nude bi-sexual Valkyries, as he told about the time he punched his own father to death. It also should've been rated Adult Only.

Last edited:
Combat looks a bit awkward and slow. A statue of this new kratos would be awesome though.

If that's Carson he got range.

I don't think he was really relatable in 2 or 3 but I don't think he needed to be. He's one of the few actually anti-heroes in gaming that's just plane badass. Gamers today want their characters to be overly emotional sarcastic ND characters and thats just something I don't really want to see in God of War. I don't mind them trying to ground him but I'm not a fan of how they're trying to do it based on that trailer.

Overall, the game does look great though.

I mean generally speaking, there's some stuff about Kratos that makes you think 'that makes sense, I like that' or something. But it's not necessary beyond his back story and motivations.

@ Solidus, frankly yeah. Along with being a little faster paced, and Kratos being more enraged. Is Adult Only still a rating though?

Well? We don't know what's happening really. This seems to be only the intro to something else. Does Kratos maybe go nuts because something Bad is about to happen? I like that he still has the moves, but not a brutal as before.

GOW was great, and GOW 2 and 3 were essentially the same thing with better graphics and some nice puzzles here and there. But essentially the same old hack n slash stuff.

This trailer actually made me care about what's going to happen to Kratos (or the kid?) and I will preorder it and get it day one. Haven't done that in a long time ever since I switched to PC.

I don't see a problem with sticking to the same formula if developers can improve on it. There's a lot that Sony Santa Monica can do now that they couldn't achieve in GOW II and III; like create bigger bosses and much larger environments with PS4 tech. But, from what I've seen in the trailer, it looks like the game is having an identity crisis, and it's catering more to Naughty Dog fans who want deeply moving character interactions, structured around engrossing storylines. Granted, I'm a ND fan, myself, but that's not the nature of God of War. Kratos is a suicidal maniac and utter ********* who's undeserving of empathy, but we cheer him on because he epitomizes based human nature that we keep within ourselves, and refuse to act upon. At least, that was the original vision of this series.

I also have my doubts that the trailer was just an intro scene and the actual game will be much different (it's always possible that's the case, but I doubt it). I believe Sony should've made this into a new license instead of reimagining GOW from the ground up to make it look like the ND games released in recent memory.

https://m.ign.com/articles/2016/06/...e-me-care-about-the-series-for-the-first-time

"Kratos believes that being a god is a disease, and that rage is a side effect of that disease, and he’s terrified that he’s passed it on to his son.”
ADVERTISEMENT
This was a sentence I didn’t expect to hear about God of War 24 hours ago. But after its stunning reveal at Sony’s E3 2016 conference, I got a chance to see an extended version of that demo, and speak with Cory Barlog, the game’s creative director. After seven games set in Greece, seven games that told the story of a character who felt one-dimensional in his rage, and seven games that caused me to become apathetic towards the series, I am fully on-board for this new God of War.

I've always appreciated the combat and spectacle of the God of War games. The core trilogy remains some of the most influential action games of the past 15 years. But despite this, I've never been able to connect with the series, and I think that's because of Kratos himself. One of my biggest qualms with the prior GoW games is that Kratos himself just didn’t have the depth I wanted in a character. But that’s changing now.

"We’ve already told the story of The Hulk. We want to tell the story of Banner now,” Barlog told me after I watched the demo, and honestly, that sentence has me so incredibly excited for this game. I love the idea of a post-Last of Us Kratos who still retains his core tenets and traits, but suddenly has to deal wit the fact that he now has his own flesh-and-blood beside him at all times. Kratos has always been a character who’s made the wrong choices, and had to pay for the consequences of those mistakes. “What if he got a chance to do things differently?” Barlog told me. "To try to do things better?”
As we saw from the demo, the bond between Kratos and his son is at the heart of God of War. This is key throughout every moment of the game When his son gets nervous and misses a shot that should’ve killed a buck, Kratos begins to yell at him. Suddenly, a rage meter — generally used as a combat mechanic — appeared in the corner and began to rise and Kratos scolded the boy. But as the boy apologized and the God of War realized that he was overreacting, the rage meter subsided. This sort of subtle, contemplative detail was unexpected, but wholly appreciated.

While you assume complete control of Kratos, you also passively control his son throughout the entire game, and both characters grow and evolve. There’s a single button dedicated to your son, and its use depends on the context. He becomes an active participant in combat, traversal, exploration, and puzzle-solving. In this, the game is about passing knowledge onto your child. At the beginning of your journey, you teach a reluctant child how to fire a bow and hunt. As you progress through the game, that becomes second-nature to the boy, and it’s clear that your knowledge has been passed on.

This bond isn’t the only new, surprising element of God of War. The entire game is presented as a single, uninterrupted shot. Once you’re in, you’re in. No load screens, no cinematics, no fades to black. Kratos and his son’s journey across the world of Norse mythology -- which takes place an undisclosed amount of time past God of War III -- will be told in a wholly singular, and honestly unique manner.
Barlog explained, “There's a public perception that God of War is like your dad's muscle car. Not something I want to drive, but something he'd want to work on.” What might’ve worked back on the PS2 in terms of mechanics, characters, and storytelling simply don’t work in 2016. I love the idea that Barlog, who has been with the series since the start, and served as creative director on God of War II, isn’t afraid to flip the table over. “We need to tear it completely down and look at it from completely fresh eyes,” he said to me. This motto isn’t just in the story and characters, but in the mechanics and progression as well.

Right from the get-go, it was apparent that this was a very different God of War game. We now view the world from behind Kratos’ shoulders, with the previously-static camera now being controlled using the right stick. This part is important, because the world is rife with hidden paths, secret nooks, and collectables hidden all over the place. During my extended demo, we wandered off the beaten path and discovered a number of crafting resources, pieces of armor, and idols. God of War will feature larger, much more in-depth RPG systems, something Sony will discuss further down the road.
While the E3 demo was a quieter, more character-driven look at the game, Barlog assured me that the series isn’t shrugging off its bombastic, cinematic roots. The reason they didn’t focus the E3 demo on a huge, spectacle-filled set piece is that it's a given that the game will have those. Barlog and Sony Santa Monica have mastered those moments, so with this demo, they wanted to surprise fans and non-fans of the series with the unexpected.
"This game is about Kratos teaching his son how to be a god, and his son teaching Kratos how to be human again.” That’s not a sentence I expected to hear about God of War 24 hours ago, but here we are, and I couldn’t be happier about it.

Not loving what I’m reading here, about the kid being the Ellie of this game, but I’ll give it a chance.

Actually everything else I’m reading here sounds great.

Also a new voice actor is playing Kratos now, some guy named Christopher Judge.

Last edited:
Back