Media God of War 4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks great to me, I love Norse Mythology so much more than Greek. Something tells me Kratos might actually work with these gods rather than against. Keep in mind that Kratos was cursed and killed the Threads of fate & Hades so death may not work the same for him.

My bet is either the kid dies and brings back Rageful Kratos or you play as the son. If the game sucks at least it looks amazing.

I watched the video of the game again...and it's growing on me. I respect Balrog so much more for having the courage to go this route. I hope it works out well for him. I love the Greek games but the series needed a shot in the arms. Hopefully it doesn't get corny like the Pandora parts in GoW3.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I watched the video of the game again...and it's growing on me. I respect Balrog so much more for having the courage to go this route. I hope it works out well for him. I love the Greek games but the series needed a shot in the arms. Hopefully it doesn't get corny like the Pandora parts in GoW3.

Agreed, re watched it a few times already and I’m on board. I just can’t help but feel that Kratos having a family again doesn’t seem right, I hope it comes off less as a plot device and feels natural. The new voice actor is pretty good too, I’m fine with Carson being replaced.

Could be great as it's own thing, but it's certainly not even remotely close to what we've had in the past. If the trailer is anything to go by, it's a total Genre shift... It's like Forza Horizon to Forza 3... Mind you, new isn't bad. I have to say, God of War III never totally wow'd me. They saved the best part for the opening level with Gaia and Poseidon. The boss fights all pushed things, but most of the level exploration stuff was just prettier God of War 2.

Agreed, re watched it a few times already and I’m on board. I just can’t help but feel that Kratos having a family again doesn’t seem right, I hope it comes off less as a plot device and feels natural. The new voice actor is pretty good too, I’m fine with Carson being replaced.

It can be a beautiful thing if done right. I can't wait to see how they bridge together the last time we saw Kratos in 3 to now. I think whether we want a change to the core game play or not, most of us can agree that it'll be refreshing to see Kratos not constantly yelling in sheer rage. Im all for decent characterization and growth. The only other real option to continue the series is a reboot with a new hero...but personally I think Kratos is God of War. He's as big of a selling point to the series as anything else about the games.

But I do miss Carson. This new voice will take some time to get used to and he sounds good enough, but nostalgically speaking having Carson on board to voice Kratos even in this more soothing tone would have kept a good chunk of Kratos' identity to me as a player and softened the major change of character in a welcomed fashion.

In God of WAR 1 he voiced Kratos masterfully. He hit all sorts of emotions so he could have pulled this off. Much like Nolan North as Nathan Drake, I feel like only Carson could voice Kratos.

I think Kratos having a son makes complete sense as he let hope out into the world, Kratos has led a cursed life and will never escape the nightmares of his past but he has hope for his son's future.

Even in a blind rage, Kratos managed to bang every hot lady or goddess on his path to killing the Olympians. It's not hard to accept that a Kratos who has forgiven himself and smiled at the end of the last game wouldn't move on and find a new, hopeful beginning.

Well I’m sold now, I just hope this kids mother is some random whore that Kratos hooked up with or something like that and not a love interest. Everything in that interview was great though, I’m happy this game is so different from the older games.

In all honesty, I don't want a love interest for Kratos either or at least much focus on her. His wife in the old series didn't have much focus outside of specific scenes, and I don't think any of them were his actual wife unlike the few scenes with Calliope.

Calliope QTE in Chains of Olympus is one of the best parts in the series.

I just hope and pray this boy's mother is a random :lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I’m sold now, I just hope this kids mother is some random whore that Kratos hooked up with or something like that and not a love interest. Everything in that interview was great though, I’m happy this game is so different from the older games.

Same here. Nothing really wrong with mixing the formula a bit.

Not sure why the complaint. I imagine we'd find out more of the family. And I don't see him being Kratos actual son. It did have a bit of a Joel and Ellie vibe, but honestly, I got more of a John Marston feeling. Only because I don't see the family dying from gods or powerful beings.

Based on the IGN interview, he's definitely Kratos' son. One of the themes of the story Barlog said was that Kratos was trying to teach his son how to be a god, and son teaching him how to be human.

I don't mind finding more out about the kids mother and stuff, but I would prefer she's just a random woman Kratos hooked up with, giving Kratos a love interest might soften him up too much and I don't really want that, and if it's a woman that he loved and died, then that's just retreading way too much from past games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not a bad idea with the story, though Kratos's son is probably only 1/4 God by this point, since Kratos is 1/2 God, 1/2 human.

Ugh... I know I must sound like a broken record at this point, but I just don't think it's right that Sony opted to change the entire formula of God of War in order to have a more story-driven experience. God of War was never like The Last of Us, The Witcher, or anything of the sort, and to me, it's pretty disappointing that Sony's trying to fit the status quo - when God of War was initially created to break from the mold of every other game in the industry, with its blatant depiction of sex and violence.

They also don't need to change the genre in order to have emotional draw in the plot. Like when Kratos accidentally killed one of his fellow Spartans in GOW II, or when he aimed his blades for Zeus and mistakenly stabbed Athena, instead.

Although, I'm sure this is going to be a good game, regardless, and there's a chance I might be completely wrong, to emphasize so much on first impressions. I also think pturtle has the right idea, to have Kratos hook up with a random woman, and that's how his son came about. He already has a family (albeit a dead one) waiting for him in Elysium, so there's no need for him to start over. It just wouldn't fit the mythology or the background of his character very well.

Last edited:
The other thing is if they change up the gameplay with a new type of story, they cannot integrate gameplay and story together in such a way that it hinders the game outright. This is why I think Ascension was a bad God of War, because in story, Kratos wasn't as angry and was 'nicer', but this seemed to matter in gameplay. Needing rage to do combos, instead of actually being powered up to awesome levels, is ****ing stupid and is a slap in the face. The game felt slower and lacked cohesion - in fact the story was almost non existent at times. Using only the Blades in that one with a pitiful magic system and what not only soured it worse. They simplified the game too much after II since I think in that one, people were taken off guard by how brutally hard the game could be outright, especially in the Palace of the Fates so they commonly complained and they simplified stuff so much. Auto aim for grabs, magic being tied to weapons, weapons being a variant of the blades and so on. III did a decent mix but then Ascension came and that game made you feel weak. It all seemed due to the story.

I can understand a different formula or significant changes because the most consistent complaint is God of War didn't change past II, which is dumb when you realize not only have franchises like CoD never changed, but changing up too much results in modern Sonic the Hedgehog, or even Resident Evil's current identity crisis. We'll probably see more information as development goes on, like how Kratos survived at the end of III and how he got here.

The other thing is if they change up the gameplay with a new type of story, they cannot integrate gameplay and story together in such a way that it hinders the game outright. This is why I think Ascension was a bad God of War, because in story, Kratos wasn't as angry and was 'nicer', but this seemed to matter in gameplay. Needing rage to do combos, instead of actually being powered up to awesome levels, is ****ing stupid and is a slap in the face. The game felt slower and lacked cohesion - in fact the story was almost non existent at times. Using only the Blades in that one with a pitiful magic system and what not only soured it worse. They simplified the game too much after II since I think in that one, people were taken off guard by how brutally hard the game could be outright, especially in the Palace of the Fates so they commonly complained and they simplified stuff so much. Auto aim for grabs, magic being tied to weapons, weapons being a variant of the blades and so on. III did a decent mix but then Ascension came and that game made you feel weak. It all seemed due to the story.

I can understand a different formula or significant changes because the most consistent complaint is God of War didn't change past II, which is dumb when you realize not only have franchises like CoD never changed, but changing up too much results in modern Sonic the Hedgehog, or even Resident Evil's current identity crisis. We'll probably see more information as development goes on, like how Kratos survived at the end of III and how he got here.

THIS is brilliantly said, and I couldn't agree more. In my opinion, if something's not broke, don't fix it. But, we've seen developers do the exact opposite, time and time again, with franchises like Sonic, the more recent RE games, and I'd even say MGS V to an extent.

If it's the case that a game's getting too old for the fanbase, they should create a new game entirely with a different protagonist, and put the old franchises to rest. Although, I think Sony Santa Monica could've done so much more that they previously weren't able to, by recreating a traditional GOW game with PS4 technology - with bigger environments, better graphics, and more enemies on screen. I would've loved to have seen that, and in fact, I was expecting that for GOW 4 before I saw the E3 trailer.

As for Ascension, I've been meaning to play it, but what you're describing sounds pretty horrible :lol. I can see why it was generally panned...

Ive been waiting for a 3rd person weapon based game, where the camera is tight behind the player back. Strange that it hasn't been done yet.

Kratos looks... different. Totally different guy, only similarity is body paint and and baldness. Doesn't make sense he looks Icelandic but whatever.
I think the VA is the same right? Just a different nuance to the voice. I like consistencies like that in games *cough*MGSV*cough*

Overall i look forward to this, lll miss the combo style combat, but GOW needed a revamp

New it's a entirely new voice actor.

And Ascension wasn't panned. It got good scores. It just wasn't as great as the other games before.

Back