GI JOE 30th Anniversary

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: GI JOE 25th Anniversary

The Hawk figure to me never felt like the leader of the Joe's, I guess it's because I was always a Duke fan but then later this Hawk guy comes up out of nowhere and he's in charge, I never got that as a kid and I still don't now, LOL. (still the same feelings on Hawk this time around as well)

1982 Hawk looked like a regular trooper, I have the file card on him but I haven't read to see if it stated he was the general and duke was in second in command...

Duke didn't come out until '84 ('83 as a mail-away), and Hawk was always the original leader of the team in the comic book, which preceded the TV show. Only reason I can figure that he wasn't the leader in the TV series originally was because his figure wasn't on the toy shelves anymore (although they did use the rest of the original 13 to a certain extent).

I don't think he was explicity stated as being the leader in the file cards, but he was by far the top-ranked member (full colonel).

I don't think he was explicity stated as being the leader in the file cards, but he was by far the top-ranked member (full colonel).

hawk.jpg

Duke didn't come out until '84 ('83 as a mail-away), and Hawk was always the original leader of the team in the comic book, which preceded the TV show. Only reason I can figure that he wasn't the leader in the TV series originally was because his figure wasn't on the toy shelves anymore (although they did use the rest of the original 13 to a certain extent).

Yeah I guess I'm going more off the show... Yeah I have not doubt he's the "true leader" I'm just saying that his figure never really felt like the leader of the Joe's, I guess he sort of does in the cartoon, I never really got into the comics.

Back then when I was watching Transformers and GI's, you clearly had a statement that Optimus Prime was the leader of the autobots just not the same feeling with Hawk.

See what I mean, looks at this figure:

Hawk.jpg

Found his file card by the way, I guess it does specify he's a excellent leader LOL (last sentence)

Hawk_File_Card.jpg

Last edited:

The Hawk figure to me never felt like the leader of the Joe's, I guess it's because I was always a Duke fan but then later this Hawk guy comes up out of nowhere and he's in charge, I never got that as a kid and I still don't now, LOL. (still the same feelings on Hawk this time around as well)

1982 Hawk looked like a regular trooper, I have the file card on him but I haven't read to see if it stated he was the general and duke was in second in command...

I remember thinking the exact same thing as a kid! :lol

Once I started reading the comic (around the late 30s issues), I was able to figure it out.

Yeah I guess I'm going more off the show... Yeah I have not doubt he's the "true leader" I'm just saying that his figure never really felt like the leader of the Joe's, I guess he sort of does in the cartoon, I never really go into the comics.

Back then when I was watching Transformers and GI's, you clearly had a statement that Optimus Prime was the leader of the autobots just not the same feeling with Hawk.

See what I mean, looks at this figure:

Hawk.jpg

Found his file card by the way, I guess it does specify he's a excellent leader LOL (last sentence)

Hawk_File_Card.jpg

What's wrong with the look of the figure? It's classic millitary look that all the first year Joes had.

The toon just pushed whatever figures were new that year. But even the toon stated the chain of command in Arise Serpentor Arise: Hawk, Duke, Flint and then Beachhead.

What's wrong with the look of the figure? It's classic millitary look that all the first year Joes had.

The toon just pushed whatever figures were new that year. But even the toon stated the chain of command in Arise Serpentor Arise: Hawk, Duke, Flint and then Beachhead.

Yup and I like the look and I prefer the military look besides all the neon space crap that they came out with in the next 5 years past these versions. He looks like Bazooka Soldier or Grunt basically. Look at Duke's figure, totally different, yes i know it's 1983-84 but still, he looks like a leader!

Yeah I actually watched that episode a few months ago LMAO! Again this if after the fact that Duke was leading at the beginning of series... That's when we even still thought Cobra Commander was the head chief of Cobra, then it's downwards spiral with the Cobra-La crap ROTFL...

Don't get me started on that LOL --> "COBRAAAAAAA-LALALALALALALLLALALALALALALLALAL...." ugh!

I would love to hear Hama or someone "in-the-know" with Gi Joe explain their rank system. Basically, you have a handful of officers and the rest are corporals. I mean, Ace and Slipstream are Captains, but you never hear about them being in the Joe hierarchy. Duke is a Master Sgt. and somehow he's near the top. Same for Beachhead. Flint is the same rank as Wild Bill, Warrant Officer. But Wild Bill isn't giving anyone orders in anything I've seen. And by the way, warrant officer? Why don't they just call it "liuetenant who can fly stuff"? Okay, I've made my post for the month, James

Not so much!!! (U can't tell me this figure looks GReAt)

Hawk_1.jpg

Bad!!!

Hawk_1_3.jpg

Really Bad!!!

dennis_quaid_as_general_hawk_in_gi_.jpg

Ok, this is cool, I like this one!! :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Hawk_1_2.jpg

I would love to hear Hama or someone "in-the-know" with Gi Joe explain their rank system. Basically, you have a handful of officers and the rest are corporals. I mean, Ace and Slipstream are Captains, but you never hear about them being in the Joe hierarchy. Duke is a Master Sgt. and somehow he's near the top. Same for Beachhead. Flint is the same rank as Wild Bill, Warrant Officer. But Wild Bill isn't giving anyone orders in anything I've seen. And by the way, warrant officer? Why don't they just call it "liuetenant who can fly stuff"? Okay, I've made my post for the month, James

Dude that's funny about the Wild Bill stuff!!!!:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl Yeah I never realized!!!

Hawk will always be in charge (if you were introduced to the Joes through the comics) after General Flagg was killed in Cobra's attack on the Pit. Duke showed up (with Roadblock) as a whip them into shape master sergeant-- The problem with Duke's arrival is that it signaled the downfall of the comics--- Every month after that it pretty much seemed like a new toy--er, character was being introduced who seemed like such an expert/bad @ss he made the others look like Joe-schmo, but then by the time the next issue rolled around the former "new guy" blended into the wall with the other Joe schmos while the next guy was rolled out. Check out Recondo for example-- His introduction/storyline was fantastic, and then he was just another grunt a few issues later.

Hawk will always be in charge (if you were introduced to the Joes through the comics) after General Flagg was killed in Cobra's attack on the Pit. Duke showed up (with Roadblock) as a whip them into shape master sergeant-- The problem with Duke's arrival is that it signaled the downfall of the comics--- Every month after that it pretty much seemed like a new toy--er, character was being introduced who seemed like such an expert/bad @ss he made the others look like Joe-schmo, but then by the time the next issue rolled around the former "new guy" blended into the wall with the other Joe schmos while the next guy was rolled out. Check out Recondo for example-- His introduction/storyline was fantastic, and then he was just another grunt a few issues later.

Yup...the good comics stopped around 60 IMO with the '87 roster. I picked up a collection later on and read up to 110-120 or so, but couldn't finish it.

Here goes my Joe collection thus far, I dont really see myself getting all that much into them, but I might pick up one or two every so often. Think next one is the hooded CC.

PICT0184.jpg

When Hawk became the commander of G.I. Joe after General Flagg's death and he became busy with operations at the PIT. Duke was introduced as the NEW field commander (replacing Hawk, who had replaced Flagg).

Despite being the Commanding Officer of G.I. Joe, Hawk's own orders came down from the President, the Pentagon and even the manipulative "Jugglers" (a group of high-ranking Generals who often looked down upon the G.I. Joe team and some of which were even corrupted by COBRA and their own political reasons). Hawk eventually became a member of the Jugglers to try and protect his G.I. Joe team but still found himself at odds with them (this was during the Devil's Due series) especially the corrupted Generals who were on COBRA's pay. At this point, Duke became more of the Commanding Officer of the G.I. Joe team and Hawk (while on the Jugglers) served as more of an advisory role. I think I remember seeing in the Devil's Due Battlefiles that such senior members as Stalker, Flint, Beach Head, etc. became numerous Field Commanders.

Even though he was Commanding officer, he still took the field MANY TIMES with the Joe team and eventually was shot and paralyzed by Cobra Commander (at the end of DD's original GI Joe line).

Continuing in America's Elite, Hawk is confined to a wheelchair and is extremely bitter, claiming that the new G.I. Joe team (now under the leadership of the original "G.I. Joe" General Joseph Colton) should "look harder" for Cobra Commander because he knows that he is out there, plotting. Hawk eventually rejoins G.I. Joe as an advisor (leaving command decisions to Colton. They had a good friendship but occassionally didn't see eye-to-eye) and it is actually Hawk at the end of the series who tackles an escaping Cobra Commander that leads to his capture at the end of America's Elite.

It'll be interesting to see how Hawk and the rest of G.I. Joe goes with the new IDW series.

I just bought two of the comic packs, and I thought I would be unhappy with them ince Im stil pretty new to the new joes. But I really like the Firefly that came with Storm Shadow, SS isnt to bad himself. But I really like the Crimson Guard, but kinda hate the look of the scarred cobra officer.

Yeah, I think the line should stick to the original designs, but I've got to admit the comic-pack Firefly is pretty nice.

That's the ones I WANT, man that wave has not hit here!!! I haven't even seen the Laser Trooper that's how sad it is around here!!!

cool pics. Those bats look very cool.

Anyone get the Cobra Commander SDCC exclusive?

Back