GI JOE 30th Anniversary

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, All that was said was brightly colored. The Why is irrelevant.

Bright colors are bright colors.

Being a darker color becuase the plastic and paint has faded over 30 years dosn't count either.

I think ALOT of people forget how bright some of those reds and bluse were when they were first released.

Additionaly, there IS a difference between being Brightly colored, and being Neon. I'm looking at you Ninja force, and space adventures.

No kidding. Shipwreck is brightly colored? Is that because the parrot sitting on his shoulder is green? If that's the case, ya forgot Low-light. He has a red patch on his vest. Granted, figures later on in the line had some pretty flamboyant color schemes. Heck, Cobra had a lawyer dressed as a bird. But I can't agree with the "brightly colored superhero" generalization.

Nope. shipwreck makes the list becuase of the Bright Baby blue shirt.

and once again, Brightly colored =/= flamboyant, nor neon.

Here is my criteria, if it helps.

Bright colors ( Warm reds, and yellows, blues and greens that draw the eye,) covering 50% of the figure.

As it was a toyline, cartoon, and comic designed and targeted at young children, it will inherently be brightly colored to grab their attention.

Hell, Even Larry Hamma, when he reinvented GIjoe for hasbro, said " Treat them like Comic book Super Heroes, Give them a super Villian to fight" And comic book heroes are also inherently brightly colored. I'm sorry if this upsets preconcieved notions about the toyline you may have, but it is what it is :peace

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is arguing that the Joes were "gritty and realistic," but I also don't consider many of those you listed as particularly "brightly colorful." I guess they aren't all earth tones, if that's what you mean? Any toy line would need some color to be attractive to kids.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the Joes were "gritty and realistic," but I also don't consider many of those you listed as particularly "colorful." I guess they aren't all earth tones, if that's what you mean by not colorful? Any toy line would need some color to be attractive to kids.

That's my point exactly. I think people are simply reading the " brightly colored" part ofthe quote to mean characters like ninja force Zartan, or Sci-fi ( who is still awesome) Across the board. That's not what I mean.

By my definition, and IMO, by the definition of the guy who i'm quoting, I'd also Lump this Batman into the "brightly colored superhero" list.

NealAdamsBatman.jpg

Read this the other day.. I've never heard a better description of GI JOE RAH.

And IMO, that's awesome.

I guess mileage varies, I son't see whats so super awesome cool about the description, but if it floats your boat...

I think being a huge Frankenstein fan as a kid made me love Serpentor.

Cobra-La was a interesting concept but just wrong for GIJoe. It seemed like a idea for another line like Visionaries that was folded into GIJoe. Besides, why would a civilization built on crustaceans and vegetation name themselves after a repile?

I can understand why they did all the wacky stuff from 1990 and on as the market changed drastically and a straight up military line would not have lasted.

:goodpost: I liked Serpentor too, I thought the concept of genetically creating a super leader was a cool idea and kind of Dr. Mindbenders masterpiece; but Cobra La was basically the beginning of the end for me ( probably also the fact that my interests were changing at that time), but now I love the Cobra La designs, etc. Like you said, may not have been the perfect match for the Joe line, but they don't irk me like they used to, I've even added them to my collection. I really like the base trooper figures.

Cobra-La... is and was...really WEIRD.

I liked it, but not from the perspective that it was presented in the movie.

I liked the IDEA of a Freakish, quasi-supernatural snake-cult being out there. possibly even being something that cobra might have been afflilated with.

but that's it.

Then again, I'm a pretty big fan of lovecraftian horror, and the concept was nothing if not Lovecraftian.

That's my point exactly. I think people are simply reading the " brightly colored" part ofthe quote to mean characters like ninja force Zartan, or Sci-fi ( who is still awesome) Across the board. That's not what I mean.

By my definition, and IMO, by the definition of the guy who i'm quoting, I'd also Lump this Batman into the "brightly colored superhero" list.

NealAdamsBatman.jpg
I prefer the classics, personally.

savage-batman.jpg

Poor chap just hasn't been himself since they took away his .45s...

Had to run into the dollar store to get shoe laces of all things the other day and long story short I ended up grabbing a Cobra Sniper. Pretty cool little figure.:exactly:

I think it's the combination of Lenseflare on the spotlights, and the thing in stormshadow's hand ( not to mention his outfit) looking like a microphone from this angle.
I'm not sure WHAT it is, but i 1/2 expect drums to rise out of the floor infront of zartan, and firefly to whip out a guitar.

Back