Ghostbusters reboot with all-female leads

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread has been 50x more entertaining than the movie has any shot at. Sandbox the movie.

SnakeDoc

Sure this movie was going to be just a movie, and everyone was gonna hate it and mock it like any other **** movie, but now you can't, because it's not about just a movie, it's about the rise of stronk womyn, and if you don't like it, you're a pig.

DiFabio's right, this is already critically bulletproof.

I think they chose all female so the new cast doesn't compete with the original. It's like when an original rock band member dies they don't find a look-alike to replace him, they find someone who is completely different as to not disrespect the original. Happens all the time.

If they're determined to make a next gen Ghostbusters, it's either gonna be Melissa McCarthy's gang or James Franco's gang, it's not like there's that many options in Hollywood. So either way it's not gonna be what people want. The only thing I'm iffy about are those two other SNL casts that got tagged along, don't know the right word for it but they just don't seem qualified.. it's like seeing the nephew who got the big promotion..

Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig are fine though, they've got the chops.

---

I think they chose all female so the new cast doesn't compete with the original. It's like when an original rock band member dies they don't find a look-alike to replace him, they find someone who is completely different as to not disrespect the original. Happens all the time.

If they're determined to make a next gen Ghostbusters, it's either gonna be Melissa McCarthy's gang or James Franco's gang, it's not like there's that many options in Hollywood. So either way it's not gonna be what people want. The only thing I'm iffy about are those two other SNL casts that got tagged along, don't know the right word for it but they just don't seem qualified.. it's like seeing the nephew who got the big promotion..

---
Yeah all that's fine and all, I don't have any ill will against any of them, I've seen them in other things and they're ok comedians, the only one I genuinely like is Kristen Wiig, loved her in Paul.

And this doesn't have to do anything with the fact that they're female, it's just that the movie looks like **** :lol and part of me thinks they did an all female cast to protect themselves from criticism, hence the knee jerk patriarchy-blaming reaction.

If the comedy shown so far was smart and dry like in the original, nowhere near as many people would be ******** on this. But no, it's all yelling, awkward slapstick and fart jokes.

I never thought the original movie was that funny, except for a few scenes.The thing that appealed to me as a kid was the film's premise, the group dynamic, the costumes and overall designs of the weapons, Ecto-1, and villains. Even the theme was catchy.

That's what made the original movie work for me, and in that regard, the new film has failed. Batman 89 is a similar case of good designs being enough to make me a fan.

giphy.gif

One of Wiigs least known characters, Triangle Sally. :lol

I never thought the original movie was that funny, except for a few scenes.The thing that appealed to me as a kid was the film's premise, the group dynamic, the costumes and overall designs of the weapons, Ecto-1, and villains. Even the theme was catchy.

That's what made the original movie work for me, and in that regard, the new film has failed. Batman 89 is a similar case of good designs being enough to make me a fan.
It's not a lmao hilarious comedy like many pretend to be today, it's pretty subdued, it's like teehee kind of comedy, it doesn't try to pass as clever and/or political, but it isn't cheap jokes either, except the dickless joke :lol but even that one is better than fart jokes, it's pretty well balanced.

Lines like "I've worked in the private sector, they expect results" are examples of pretty subdued comedy, you mention you liked the dynamic, well that's part of the comedy, the interactions between Egon and Stantz completely committed characters against Venkman's too cool for school attitude brings plenty funny moments without being exaggerated slapstick like in the new one.

And at the moment the gods let humans chose the face of their destroyer, someone happens to have an intrusive thought of the marshmallow man? That's hilarious :rotfl

It's not a lmao hilarious comedy like many pretend to be today, it's pretty subdued, it's like teehee kind of comedy, it doesn't try to pass as clever and/or political, but it isn't cheap jokes either, except the dickless joke :lol but even that one is better than fart jokes, it's pretty well balanced.

Lines like "I've worked in the private sector, they expect results" are examples of pretty subdued comedy, you mention you liked the dynamic, well that's part of the comedy, the interactions between Egon and Stantz completely committed characters against Venkman's too cool for school attitude brings plenty funny moments without being exaggerated slapstick like in the new one.

And at the moment the gods let humans chose the face of their destroyer, someone happens to have an intrusive thought of the marshmallow man? That's hilarious :rotfl

When it comes to the comedy for me, Rick Moranis was the MVP in that film :D

---

You're good, kid. How'd you like a job in Hollywood?

but then why the hell did they write 3 cis white women???? why not an indian character? asian? hispanic? why not a trans character? a gay character?

they have 3 cis white women and one black character, they are Technically finding look alikes to replace them :dunno just saying

No Jews either. :dunno

but then why the hell did they write 3 cis white women???? why not an indian character? asian? hispanic? why not a trans character? a gay character?

they have 3 cis white women and one black character, they are Technically finding look alikes to replace them :dunno just saying
We wouldn't want to get too progressive now, would we? :lol Besides, one of them is literally a token black character.

Remember how there was a mini-uproar about how racist of a character Patty is? But it was quickly replaced by the full on feminist support.

I was sure this movie was going to short circuit the SJW crowd, like: "Hell yeah, gurl powah, ooooh wait, that one's a bit racist... what's happening? Do I support? Do I hate? Can't compute *EXPLODES!!!*" But it seems they just went around that :lol

I rewatched the original recently and really appreciated the subtle quality of the humor. It's an interesting movie without a bunch of crude heyucks. The characters react like normal people in a weird situation and that makes it charming to me.

I rewatched the original recently and really appreciated the subtle quality of the humor. It's an interesting movie without a bunch of crude heyucks. The characters react like normal people in a weird situation and that makes it charming to me.

Agreed, I used to like it a as kid just for ghosts and the FX, but as I grew older I've appreciated it more and more for that ^

Humor was different back then in U.S. films at least. Most modern comedies rely heavily on edgy jokes, profanity, little subtlety and overreacting to be funny. Then, there is the overuse of sarcasm and quick jokes, like Family Guy and even the modern Simpson's show, as opposed to the early years of the show, which had less jokes per scenes, but better storytelling because of it.

Well, there was also Caddyshack, Police Academy and Animal House (the King) back in those "different times".

I grew up watching those films and for every Porkys and Fast Times, there were comedies like Being There, Beetlejuice, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Goonies, Big and The Blues Brothers. Now, the best comedies are made by Pixar :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back