George Lucas: "I'm Retiring"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't buy for one second that Lucas wouldn't have cried just as loudly if his favorite classic films were butchered by their own creators. There just wasn't a precedent for a filmmaker changing their own work and simultaneously working to eradicate the original version of said work, at least as far as films are concerned.

In what way are the original prints "safe" exactly?

hate to break it to you but the world doesnt turn according to "what you do or do not buy", also santa is not real

i guess the original prints are safe like any other print that is safe is safe? i mean is that a real question
i dont have the address or vault code sorry

hate to break it to you but the world doesnt turn according to "what you do or do not buy", also santa is not real

Well I'm glad you're here to tell us these things. Chewie take the professor and plug him into the hyperdrive!

i guess the original prints are safe like any other print that is safe is safe? i mean is that a real question
i dont have the address or vault code sorry

In other words you don't know any more than anyone else in that regard. There have been reports that the negatives were actually re-edited to make the first round of Special Editions in 1997 and that it was those versions that were submitted to the Library of Congress.

Nobody outside of Lucas and his acquaintances currently knows the location or state of the original prints.

I think those that hate on the haters don't realise how many versions of the Star Wars films there are. These films were even edited for their VHS releases in the 80s for freaks sake!

Well I'm glad you're here to tell us these things. Chewie take the professor and plug him into the hyperdrive!

In other words you don't know any more than anyone else in that regard. There have been reports that the negatives were actually re-edited to make the first round of Special Editions in 1997 and that it was those versions that were submitted to the Library of Congress.

Nobody outside of Lucas and his acquaintances currently knows the location or state of the original prints.
so how can you crucify him without hard facts
the ot is available on vhs and dvd in public so it lives on
and if the case of rumors about what was submitted to the library is true then yeah hes fallible, and everyone who has never changed their mind can have a party

I think those that hate on the haters don't realise how many versions of the Star Wars films there are. These films were even edited for their VHS releases in the 80s for freaks sake!

Yeah, we lost most of the widescreen picture. :nana:

also santa is not real

z3450_mind-blown.jpg

It's time for a refresher:

https://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/savingstarwars.html

Read that in its entirty and you'll realize that Lucas did NOT restore the original Star Wars negatives. Instead he used the elements to create a new master for the Special Edition, and never looked back. The original is still lost, unless someone discovers a clean print somewhere.

I emailed the link to my Hotmail account so I can read it later. :duff

Announcing a man's hypocrisy in a conversation he isn't even privy to amounts to crucifixion?

I think he probably just has too many (Star Wars) figures around him to think objectively.

:monkey1
I used crucify figuratively and I was only pointing out the fact that he quoted Lucas out of context. I AM being quite objective.

and are you really making fun of me for having star wars figures here? of all places lol.
that's truely funny
but of course I have a different opinion then a group of buddies so I'm the clown shoes here.

good cuz Im not trying to change anybodies mind i want the non special edition ot on blu ray just as much as the next guy lol.

It's time for a refresher:

https://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/savingstarwars.html

Read that in its entirty and you'll realize that Lucas did NOT restore the original Star Wars negatives. Instead he used the elements to create a new master for the Special Edition, and never looked back. The original is still lost, unless someone discovers a clean print somewhere.

I don't see how Lucas doesn't have a really good theater print that could be scanned and cleaned up. I understand the negatives are gone but I'm sure with todays tech that we must be able to clean up a nice positive.

George is retiring ?,

Good !, the way he's messed Star Wars up is unforgivable, constantly altering it to satisfy his own warped sense of "what it should be",
he should have packed his backs and ____ed off many years ago.

Once upon a time I thought he was god like, to have dreamt up a universe like the S/W one & fill it with the characters,aliens,ships that became so iconic & burned themselves deep into my physce, something's are best left alone George !.
Same goes for Indy (& look at what happened to that film icon the last time Georgey boy got his clueless,hamfisted mitts anywhere near it !).

Star Wars in particular was a work of art originally but like an other piece, if the artist keep messing about with it the it ends up ruined,
Lucas has done the equivalent of Da Vinci adding a moustache to the mona Lisa because "he thinks" it look better.
Bye George, don't bother coming back.

P.s, red tails is apparently terrible, you getting the picture George ?, you only ever made 3 good films in your career (and eventually screwed them up too).

Hate filled rant at a man I'll never meet over.

Last edited:
I think Lucas is still a visionary.
He comes up with amazing stories, and he's never given up on his vision of fun, optimistic, and to a certain degree naïve movies.
I applaud him for that. I might not agree with his vision all of the time (I would've loved a darker, more "mature" ROTJ for example), but I respect what the type of movies he wants to make.
His stories and the characters he created are timeless and iconic. How many other film makers or writers of the past 30 years have come up with characters that have become such an integral part of our worldwide culture?
The man is a genius. Period.

Back