George Lucas end of the world 2012

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steven Spielberg interviews people in the dark according to Peter Morgan.

Really? That's kind of strange. I don't know, I've met a handful of directors in my time. Some have been very rude and off-putting, like Ridley Scott. Others have been very polite and approachable, like Guillermo del Toro and even Chris Nolan. It all depends on the individual, I'm sure, regardless of success or fame.

I've read the past three pages and now I hope Lucas is right. End it already! This incessant rambling is making my head hurt

This is a fun topic.

I happen to believe the Biblical account of the end times, and many things seem like they are in line with that prophecy these days which is both terrifying and reassuring at the same time, but since the Bible also says that no man knows the day or the time, not even Jesus, then I think the only thing that is likely to actually end in Dec. 2012 is Obama's presidency.

No, my political and religious views have nothing to do with each other.

:postpics:

Internet-Troll.jpg

All these things have far more rational explanations than "sci-fi end of the world" reasons! None are caused by cosmic kookiness, paranormal activity, ghosts, vampires, elves or anything else "weird".

Don’t let the Icelanders know what do you think about elves. :lol

They have an elves adviser named Erla Stefánsdóttir. And everytime the road building authority is planing a new road they ask Erla if they maybe disturb an elf with this building project. And if the answer is yes the road building authority includes a bypass in their plans. NO JOKE!

Don’t let the Icelanders know what do you think about elves. :lol

They have an elves adviser named Erla Stefánsdóttir. And everytime the road building authority is planing a new road they ask Erla if they maybe disturb an elf with this building project. And if the answer is yes the road building authority includes a bypass in their plans. NO JOKE!

Ha, yeah. You can read about it here.

But don't be too hard on the Icelanders. Americans are pretty damn stupid too. From Newsweek and Gallup: Only 39% of Americans believe in evolution, 21 percent of Americans believe there are real sorcerers, conjurers, and warlocks, 41 percent believe in ESP, 32 percent in ghosts, and a quarter in astrology. 20 percent of Americans were still sure (in 1999) that the sun revolved around the Earth. 63 percent of young Americans can't find Iraq on a map, despite the ongoing U.S involvement there. Nine out of 10 can't find Afghanistan-even if you give them the advantage of a map limited to Asia. And more than a third of Americans of any age can't identify the continent that's home to the Amazon River (above), the world's largest. three in four-can correctly identify Larry, Curly, and Moe as the Three Stooges. Only two out of five respondents, however, can correctly identify the executive, legislative, and judicial branches as the three wings of government. Much more here.

Sean

I don't know if it's true or not but I've heard that many of the common US soldiers not even can read. And because of that the operating instructions for standard weapons are published as comic version?!

I'm not the least bit surprised. Hell, take a couple of hours and browse randomly through any forum. You'll find a lot of confusion about the uses of to & too, it's & its, their & they're and so on. (And I'm referring strictly to those for whom English is their native tongue.)

As to Lucas saying that the Earth will end in 2012, I thought it had already ended. Everytime I look around at my PFs, I feel like I've died and gone to heaven!:peace

I don't know if it's true or not but I've heard that many of the common US soldiers not even can read. And because of that the operating instructions for standard weapons are published as comic version?!

:rotfl Just no. And it's "cannot even read."

Actually there are many examples of the US military addressing the literacy problem among troops. Just study some US military history, it's something that is common knowledge. There were fairly involved programs started during WWI and WWII to address this very problem (and even later, too). The problem never went away really, because some who join the military are poor and lack a proper education - they have no other option but to join the military quite often. But most people in the USA can read, though we rank about 21st in the world as far as literacy rates go. That measures the entire population though, not specifically the military.

Sean

I have no doubt that there are some literacy issues in the army as there are in the population at large, but to blithely say that many soldiers can't read enough to understand simple instructions is just silly.

Now can we please lock this damn thread?

Back