Gentle Giant's Vintage 12" Star Wars Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GG seems to be focusing on the DC Super Powers, Marvel Secret Wars and GI Joe figures now.
But even there, combined we've probably seen less than 10 prototypes. With this kind of line though, it might make sense to just focus on some of the heavy hitters instead of trying to go deep into the line. Which makes their decision with the Joes kind of baffling. Sure, it's cheaper to use the standard '82 designs and capitalize on those molds, but only the hardest of the hardcore Joe fans are going to want all of those guys. Give us Cobra Commander, Duke, Zartan, '85 Snake Eyes, and I'm sure interest will spike.

But even there, combined we've probably seen less than 10 prototypes. With this kind of line though, it might make sense to just focus on some of the heavy hitters instead of trying to go deep into the line. Which makes their decision with the Joes kind of baffling. Sure, it's cheaper to use the standard '82 designs and capitalize on those molds, but only the hardest of the hardcore Joe fans are going to want all of those guys. Give us Cobra Commander, Duke, Zartan, '85 Snake Eyes, and I'm sure interest will spike.

I agree completely. Even with the Star Wars line, some of the choices have been baffling. While cool, I don't see why they would release a jabba and wampa if the line was struggling. Jedi Luke, Han in carbonite, and General Lando all seems like safe bets and ways to renew interest in the line. It would be hard to believe they would discontinue the line before at least getting to Jedi Luke. That is one of the most beloved vintage figures and would definitely sell better than some of the more obscure characters that have already been released.

I am so glad that I decided against pursuing this line. I was either going all in and getting every figure or not getting any. I feel for those who wanted to get the entire line and are 50-60 figures in and may not see it through to completion. For me, the first 12 and the POTF figures would've been the most important to have. Nadda (aside from Yak) on POTF now? Yikes.

I have completest tendencies and was really into this line originally, however, I refuse to purchase $80(?) in products I do not want every year in order to get their exclusives. After missing out on a few (especially 21-B), my enthusiasm for the rest of the line has waned significantly. There are still a few figures that I must get. Jedi Luke tops that list. That was my favorite toy for many years growing up. I went through a few of him as I lost or destroyed it during play. I preordered a couple.....just in case.

Does anybody care about this line anymore besides me? That must be why they are releasing fewer and fewer figures...
I was not able to find anything on this recently, and the customer service of Gentle Giant is mute on any input.

They showed Jabba last year but never released it, last year's Celebration exclusive was just a reissue of ANH Luke, this year it's a reissue of Greedo (with POTF packaging), Jedi Luke is taking forever to arrive, and POTF Carbonite Han is a pass for me.

You think the line is coming to an end before time?

I guess the line is dead :dunno. I might have bought amanaman if they were to release him. he probable would fit in great with the jabba`s henchmen.

I guess the line is dead :dunno. I might have bought amanaman if they were to release him. he probable would fit in great with the jabba`s henchmen.

I probably would have bought Amanaman as well. I sold off the few I had and just kept the Droids Boba Fett. Cool concept but they took up too much room.

I would have also purchased Amanaman if it was released. I only bought the Rocket firing Boba Fett and Blue Snaggletooth and Yakface.

Last edited:
I think this is where short sighted greed probably killed the line and ended up costing GG in the end. At 40 (or maybe even 50) bucks a piece, I'd probably still be buying these. At the 80 price point, I made a decision early on to steer clear of the line altogether. I can't imagine the per unit cost to make was very much, compared to other types of higher end collectibles. Hasbro has 12 inch figures for like $11.99 at Target, for goodness sake. :)

yeah and those Hasbro 12 inch figures are crap. I would like to got jabba the hutt if they were to release him but the price would have been to high.

yeah and those Hasbro 12 inch figures are crap. I would like to got jabba the hutt if they were to release him but the price would have been to high.

Agree they are crap, but they're no more difficult to create than these things are. Their margin per piece sold has to be outrageous on these things.

there good for kids who cant collect the high end stuff. I remember there rotj luke looked more like a young of chuck Norris then it did of mark h.

I don't mind some of them.

I reckon the Flametrooper, Chewbacca, Captain Phasma, Finn, First Order Stormtrooper, First Order Tie Fighter Pilot and the Force Awakens C-3P0 from the droids 3 pack are all fairly decent.

well considering that hot toys chewbacca was and then a solid plastic Chewbacca well the furry version wins over plastic piece of crap with no articulation and no bowcaster.

Back