Gentle Giant's Vintage 12" Star Wars Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a bit late to collecting this line (started in 2014), but the low number of releases since then gave me time to catch up a bit, even though the earlier ones are pretty expensive now. These grew on me after a while, and are pretty impressive to have side by side on a wall. I must say that I like them as much as my Hot Toys collection... It's just so different, with the gorgeous packaging and the overdose of nostalgia they bring.

Seems they stalled the release of these with just 1-2 per year... They completed the ANH series, but are only halfway through ESB and barely scratched ROTJ's surface... Nice they got a bit of the POTF out, but I wish they finished the other two first.

As for the price, yes they are pricey, but if you consider that, upon release, you can have 3 jumbos for the price of only one Hot Toys... And their price remained at $80 since the beginning in 2010... What other line can say that? Certainly not Sideshow's or Hasbro's!

A jumbo GG Amanaman would be pretty awesome.

I will say, seeing dozens of the jumbo figs all together on display is pretty awesome (at the shows, and I've seen a few collector pics.) Just wish it didn't cost $$$.

That would be a must for me.........that's the one carded potf fig I have.....

I agree that the cost on these is too high. $50 each would have been much better

I got a bit late to collecting this line (started in 2014), but the low number of releases since then gave me time to catch up a bit, even though the earlier ones are pretty expensive now. These grew on me after a while, and are pretty impressive to have side by side on a wall. I must say that I like them as much as my Hot Toys collection... It's just so different, with the gorgeous packaging and the overdose of nostalgia they bring.

Seems they stalled the release of these with just 1-2 per year... They completed the ANH series, but are only halfway through ESB and barely scratched ROTJ's surface... Nice they got a bit of the POTF out, but I wish they finished the other two first.

As for the price, yes they are pricey, but if you consider that, upon release, you can have 3 jumbos for the price of only one Hot Toys... And their price remained at $80 since the beginning in 2010... What other line can say that? Certainly not Sideshow's or Hasbro's!

That would be a must for me.........that's the one carded potf fig I have.....

I agree that the cost on these is too high. $50 each would have been much better

Yeah $50 and I would have been into this line. I mean they're just rotocast figures with ultra-simple paint apps and very limited articulation. To compare them to HT figures - even at almost 1 to 3 - is a bit of a stretch. You think about the prices on those giant Jakks 31" figures. I've seen shampoo bottles with similar quality and paint to the GG Jumbos.

My guess is that the packaging type - cool as it is but super large - was part of the reason for the higher cost. I probably would have liked the figures loose if it meant they were $45-50.

Tow things that did really bug me about the jumbos is that some of them were not just the Kenner figs blown up in size - they made changes to the look for some reason, and also the differences in scale. Some came out taller than others for no apparent reason. Blue Snaggs was noticeably taller than the others on my shelf.

Jumbos like the Star Wars Fett in packaging still easily matches the HT cool factor on display.

Yeah $50 and I would have been into this line. I mean they're just rotocast figures with ultra-simple paint apps and very limited articulation. To compare them to HT figures - even at almost 1 to 3 - is a bit of a stretch. You think about the prices on those giant Jakks 31" figures. I've seen shampoo bottles with similar quality and paint to the GG Jumbos.

My guess is that the packaging type - cool as it is but super large - was part of the reason for the higher cost. I probably would have liked the figures loose if it meant they were $45-50.

Tow things that did really bug me about the jumbos is that some of them were not just the Kenner figs blown up in size - they made changes to the look for some reason, and also the differences in scale. Some came out taller than others for no apparent reason. Blue Snaggs was noticeably taller than the others on my shelf.

Jumbos like the Star Wars Fett in packaging still easily matches the HT cool factor on display.

Loose of course they can't be compared to Hot Toys... It's the overall effect with the packaging that makes them worth it. A have a couple loose due to crushed packaging, and they feel odd in hand... I can't say they don't have flaws, some can't hold their weapons, Vader & Chewie are a bit short, Bespin Luke is way too tall, and my Chewie has a leg shorter than the other so he can't stand straight (WTF?)...

I try to keep them carded and like them a lot like that. Of course I'd wish they'd be in the $50 range, but when you look at the price of the Black Series... I don't feel as bad.

I just wish they had corrected the height on Vader when he was re-released in the Villain pack. He's clearly a few centimetres too short and it stands out on my shelf when he's next to every other figure!

I picked up a Bossk off the bay recently and from a distance the extra-detailed head ridges don't bother me as much as I thought they would.

They have a chance now to get Chewbacca at the right height and equal leg-length in this Early Bird bundle re-release... if they do that I'll buy it.

Just watched the unboxing for the early bird kit. I was on the fence but now I may get it... it looked really cool.

the set is complete... I finally got the last of the original 12.

7N4O7tA.jpg

Very cool display! Wow! I wish I could have got them all but I restricted myself to Vader and all the 4 Boba Fett's GG (SW Rocket Firing, ESB, POTF and the Blue unpainted baggie versions) has made.

Very cool display! Wow! I wish I could have got them all but I restricted myself to Vader and all the 4 Boba Fett's GG (SW Rocket Firing, ESB, POTF and the Blue unpainted baggie versions) has made.
I wasn't even really thinking of doing this until the early bird set cane out... Then I just had to do it. Now I may try to pick up some others... Like Boba.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I know its a bust and not a jumbo figure, but is anyone getting the upcoming GG 1/6 Amanaman bust to turn into a 1/6 figure?

I have done it the last 4-5 years. They have 3 levels now so you can pick the one you can afford. I like having a shot at all SDCC exclusives and the yearly holiday gift.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back