Gentle Giant's Vintage 12" Star Wars Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry, but no matter how cheap they get, I don't see why would anyone buy that. If they went to $5 I'd still save the $5 and put it towards a clearance SSC item...:lol

The product is simply an insult to collecting, IMHO.

Whats funny (in a sad way) is you probably have morons buying this line but won't touch SSC 12" product with a 10' pole because they think they are "dolls".

Eh. You either like 'em, or you don't. Obviously. :dunno

Personally, I don't care whether anyone else digs them or not. I like them. I can afford them. And I have the room to display them. So I'm all in for as long as the line goes.

Unless it gets well into TESB figures, then I might stop. Nostalgia does have its limits. :lol

All of that said above.....I am curious to see what happens with certain alien figures and whether a scaled up version might have a starting point for customs. In which case I'll be looking for the recasts of the heads. :lol

I love this line, very much like Irish, and plan on adding each new figure made. I think Sideshow's 12" line is brilliant, especially the Vader, and collect some of their offerings as well. Like other forum members, I don't understand the hostility between collectors and their preferences? I choose to buy GG 12" figures, others choose not to yet I don't feel the need to belittle them.

Last edited:
Unless it gets well into TESB figures, then I might stop. Nostalgia does have its limits. :lol

:slap

It's the Empire figures that would (and probably will) completely destroy my resistance. Yoda. Hoth Han, Luke and Leia. R2 with scanner. Chewy with 3PO in the bag. The bounty hunters. Lando.

If Sideshow doesn't get that stuff out first, I'm going to be hurting.

I loved the TESB vintage figures, and would certainly get some of them. They just don't have quite the nostalgic kick for me that the first 20/21 do.

Yeah the Empire Strikes Back is where things would really start getting fun and interesting, especially with the likes of Yoda, Bespin Luke and IG-88.

Sculpt and detail wise, the Vintage line really got better with each year. Return of the Jedi has a few figures that are just as impressive as some of the modern crap out there, namely the Emperor and Royal Guard.

There are some vintage figures that would be hard to pass up in this line, if they're made.

Yeah the Empire Strikes Back is where things would really start getting fun and interesting, especially with the likes of Yoda, Bespin Luke and IG-88.

Sculpt and detail wise, the Vintage line really got better with each year. Return of the Jedi has a few figures that are just as impressive as some of the modern crap out there, namely the Emperor and Royal Guard.

There are some vintage figures that would be hard to pass up in this line, if they're made.

Um... no. Just... no. Especially after seeing the new Akbar. :lol

Um... no. Just... no. Especially after seeing the new Akbar. :lol

"Some", nam, "some".

SAGA Emperor sucks, SAGA Guard sucks, etc. There were quite a few alien figures that were fantastic too, especially from Jabba's Palace.

But Akbar, hell no, I agree with you. That upcoming Vintage Collection one by Hasbro is fantastic. It doesn't get much better than that.

You don't agree that as the vintage line progressed they got better? I mean it went from vinyl soft goods to actual fabric. "Real" lightsabers instead of the gimmick of a telescoping blade coming out of their arms (which I still enjoy by the way). Everything evolved in that short 8 year time span.

"Some", nam, "some".

SAGA Emperor sucks, SAGA Guard sucks, etc. There were quite a few alien figures that were fantastic too, especially from Jabba's Palace.

But Akbar, hell no, I agree with you. That upcoming Vintage Collection one by Hasbro is fantastic. It doesn't get much better than that.

You don't agree that as the vintage line progressed they got better? I mean it went from vinyl soft goods to actual fabric. "Real" lightsabers instead of the gimmick of a telescoping blade coming out of their arms (which I still enjoy by the way). Everything evolved in that short 8 year time span.

I actually think the Saga Emperor kicked all kinds of ass over the Kenner one. Hell, even that weird naked Emperor that came in the 2-pack was better. :lol Same with the Royal Guard. I have mixed feelings about the conversion from telescopic sabers to bright green pirate swords. While the Kenner line's sculpts did get better from wave to wave, they simply don't compare to the ones Hasbro's releasing today. Especially with the newer Vintage collection. From Cloud City pilot, to Bespin Luke, to Hoth Han, they're the best 3 3/4" renditions PERIOD!

I'm kinda digging this line, I may look out for a couple, but from what I'm hearing Boba & stormtrooper I've already missed so there's no real point in getting started, Vader & Old Ben might be nice to have

Both Fett and the Stormtrooper will be re-released and will be cheaper than their con exclusive counterparts. You only missed having them on Empire cards.

Guess we see why SS hasn't released Boba Fett yet. GG already blew their load on him and people are now dropping for the line like flies.

Back