Gentle Giant's Vintage 12" Star Wars Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"origninal molding seam" WOOOOW what a feature.

For me these are just like the VCDs. They are just funny. But are they 85$ funny?

At $85 I wonder who can afford to be a completist, especially at this rate of release.

Its too expensive IMO. But its still nice to have a couple of these at my desk.:lol

Personally I think it's strange that the small head Han is the exclusive given that the big head version is the original one released.

But anyway, these are way overpriced for what they are. As I said in the other thread, the 3.75" figures were never perfect and I know that's all part of the charm. Enlarging them to 12" only amplifies their shortcomings. And I'm not talking about the mold seams, etc. The sculpts are simply very soft and not really all that great to begin with.

I think these would have been great if they went with a 6" or 9" size instead, where they are still larger than the originals, but small enough that they are not overwhelming with their flaws. The price would also be down considerably, and I would have gladly paid ~$25 for that novelty.

Actually making them six inches would have been a great compromise. I still think the current setup is a great line, but for the price they'd have to pretty much trump all other collectibles and I'm just not sure that they do.

Love my Fett though!

I'm going to try to be a completist. Variants as well. Kenner SW was my childhood, so I'm loving these.

The more I think that these are over priced since they are produced from digital scans, saving the trouble of sculpting.
Nevertheless still a splendid idea. I want my Jawa:D, hopeful GG gets the fabric right. I have a feeling I might not stop after the first one.:(

Personally I think it's strange that the small head Han is the exclusive given that the big head version is the original one released.

What do you mean by "orignal one released"? The small head Han came out first and was then replaced by big head Han.

I'm going to try to be a completist. Variants as well. Kenner SW was my childhood, so I'm loving these.

Good luck, sir! :duff

I'm not going to ignore all variants. I'll definitely get both Jawas (vinyl and cloth capes) and if they indeed do both a tall blue Snaggletooth and short red one, I'll get both of those as well.

Definitely not keen on card variants, since I am displaying these open anyway. I won't get the Stormtrooper or Fett again unless they actually remake the figures themselves injection molded.

Definitely not keen on card variants, since I am displaying these open anyway. I won't get the Stormtrooper or Fett again unless they actually remake the figures themselves injection molded.

I'm going to draw the line at card variants. Definitely don't have room to display these carded.

I'm going to draw the line at card variants. Definitely don't have room to display these carded.

Yeah. The cards are a cool touch, but I'm definitely glad the packaging was designed so that the figures can be removed without damaging the packaging, because I will display all the figures loose and store the packages. Or, maybe I'll get an extra Tusken Raider and display it carded as a representation, since it was the first 12-back carded SW figure I ever got back in '78.

these are just so lame, i can't believe anyone is buying them, least of all a few collectors I respected for their taste.

Yeah. The cards are a cool touch, but I'm definitely glad the packaging was designed so that the figures can be removed without damaging the packaging, because I will display all the figures loose and store the packages.

Their packaging is one of the best things about this line. So glad they went with this design. :yess:

What do you mean by "orignal one released"? The small head Han came out first and was then replaced by big head Han.

Was it? I've read several things about the whole small head big head swap, and I really don't know the truth.

I can swear on a stack of bibles that the Han I had in 1978 was indeed the big head Han. I may still have it at my Mom's house (in another state). And I honestly remember it the other way around. I remember that the small head came out later and I remember specifically thinking back then that they took the ESB Han head and stuck it on the ANH body!

Can anyone who was around back them chime in? Anyone remember?

Was it? I've read several things about the whole small head big head swap, and I really don't know the truth.

I can swear on a stack of bibles that the Han I had in 1978 was indeed the big head Han. I may still have it at my Mom's house (in another state). And I honestly remember it the other way around. I remember that the small head came out later and I remember specifically thinking back then that they took the ESB Han head and stuck it on the ANH body!

Can anyone who was around back them chime in? Anyone remember?

Nope. My dad worked at Pillbox drugs and ripped off the case when they first arrived. I was given the small-headed Han (for birthday or X-mas too far back to remember :lol). A year later, douchy kid broke his head off and all that was available were the retard Hans. Had to wait for Hoth Han. :(

Back