Gentle Giant Serenity Mini-Busts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it would have been nice to see Mal with his one sided smile for this piece, or even a p*ssed off Mal (you wanna meet the REAL me?!). I've tried sculpting Fillion twice now, so I'm a bit critical because of that. I had planed to make a 1/6 scale doll head that I might pitch to Sideshow in HOPES that they were interested in the line. But, I made him too small....so until I can pull a good Mal off, I'm gonna have to eat my own words.

Fillion is a great subject to sculpt. interesting face for someone that really isn't your most definable looking actor. nose and mouth are really unique.

Trev

Trev, do you still have the sculpt? Any chance we could see it? If SS does do a 1/6 line, it better be you who sculpts them!

I was on the fence about the mini-busts. Sad to say, but I don't think I'll be getting Mal. The likeness is a little too generic for me.

I do applaud Mike for bringing this line to life. I know they'll sell very well.

yes I definitely commend Mike for getting this going, it's really very cool and exciting.

My first mal sculpt I melted down (wax) because it was terrible. that was over a year ago. my second one was earlier this year, and it was the one I got too small for 1/6 figures, so I built it all up with more wax. that head still exists and I plan to turn it back into Mal when I get some time, but as it is now, it's hardly impressive! :D:D that's why I lost my steam...

once I can get to them, I will. they're really important for me to pursue. I hate to be so critical of other work without having something to show that's any better!
Trev

I'm totally phyched about this line. I finally get some Serenity busts, wooo hoooooo....

Trevolver said:
yes I definitely commend Mike for getting this going, it's really very cool and exciting.

My first mal sculpt I melted down (wax) because it was terrible. that was over a year ago. my second one was earlier this year, and it was the one I got too small for 1/6 figures, so I built it all up with more wax. that head still exists and I plan to turn it back into Mal when I get some time, but as it is now, it's hardly impressive! :D:D that's why I lost my steam...

once I can get to them, I will. they're really important for me to pursue. I hate to be so critical of other work without having something to show that's any better!
Trev

You MUST post pics of your work when you are finaly done with Mal. I would LOVE to see them. :monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

Trevolver said:
it would have been nice to see Mal with his one sided smile for this piece, or even a p*ssed off Mal (you wanna meet the REAL me?!). I've tried sculpting Fillion twice now, so I'm a bit critical because of that. I had planed to make a 1/6 scale doll head that I might pitch to Sideshow in HOPES that they were interested in the line. But, I made him too small....so until I can pull a good Mal off, I'm gonna have to eat my own words.

Fillion is a great subject to sculpt. interesting face for someone that really isn't your most definable looking actor. nose and mouth are really unique.

Trev

I agree with you Trev. There is no life to the sculp and the hair is wrong. This is just the prototype, but still.... Also a base for the bust would have been a great idea. To buy these just to send a message is a pretty expensive way to try to get a point across. I'm still pushing for the 1:6 (12") figure line. I'd much rather spend my hobby dollars on a great line of figures.

Grandpa always knows best

Ooooooo. The likeness is there (slightly) but it still seems a little off. Of course I think it looks pretty darn good in the end (it looks better then the first pictures from a month or so ago IMO). Must, resist urge to start collecting a new line. The pull is so strong though.

Hey, he looks much improved. I have firm rule about no bust collecting, though! (Which I broke for the Scarface Life Size and the Spidey Life Size).

Okay, so no small busts! (which I broke for the Magdalena bust).

Okay, so I'm ordering this one! :monkey3

Any idea as to when it goes up for pre-order? I was worried that it would go up while I was away at SDCC. :monkey3:monkey3:monkey3

Any idea as to when it goes up for pre-order? I was worried that it would go up while I was away at SDCC. :monkey3:monkey3:monkey3

Should be by the last week of August and First Week of Sept. I am shooting the Final Paintmaster tonight, I'll post pics when done.

Last week on the Serenity boards Mike said that the manufacturing process is taking awhile. Mal is still on the way.

I'm patiently awaiting this. Hopefully that fact that it's not being rushed will mean that it turns out well.

And I hope that we will get plenty of notice when they go up for pre-order. I would hate to hear about it after the fact... after Mal sells out. :monkey3:monkey3:monkey3

Back