Gentle Giant 12" Jumbo figures of Kenner’s DC Super Powers!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, those do look good, nostalgia factor is off the charts

I'm jealous of your original set grange

I like how they keep holding GL back ;) Probably would be the most popular aside from Batman. Especially since even then he was, imo, maybe the best SP figure.

I loved all the inital Super Powers figures - my personal favourites were Green Lantern, Robin and Aquaman – The Joker was superb too.

Modern collecting has always kept me from doing so, but I'd still like to go back one day and put together a complete MOC/MIB collection. The line brings back A LOT of memories and is very near and dear to me. And I wasnt even a DC fan at the time, and thought GL was some kind of weird Robin rip off cause of his face mask lol

When the original Super Powers line came out, I used to look at them hanging on the pegs wishing I could own them all. Now I have a complete loose collection of figures and vehicles/play set. The only figure I owned as a kid was Superman.

The sculpting for these figures was pretty amazing for their time. The action features were a pretty novel concept too. I think one of the coolest things about these is that some of the molds were reused a few years later for the Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves line, which in my opinion is also an amazing, underrated small line of toys.

WHAT AN UTTER DISAPPOINTMENT THIS LINE HAS BECOME...

The knee joints have been removed from these figure. Talk about false advertising: "...extremely accurate, scaled replicas." They have no excused. If NECA can make 18" figure that are highly articulated and gentle giant can do the same with the GIJoe jumbos this is a massive deal breaker for me. Which is a shame as I was over excited for these. It seems slack to me. If they wanted to, they could have done it. Could have added a ratchet to the knee's hinge, for instance. I just think omission of the joint takes the integrity away from these figures and how they're being advertised and marketed as 'extremely accurate'.

This line is just a gimmick cash-in, cash grab by Gentle Giant. Pathetic.

I was really looking forward to these all year. I was planning on supporting the entire line. I'm pretty annoyed. I cannot standby this as being an acceptable final product.

This line is just a gimmick cash-in, cash grab by Gentle Giant. Pathetic.

That's all the Jumbo figures are, expensive, over priced gimmicks. Fun idea at first, but honestly don't know where Gentle Giant gets off.

So they take an old figure that they didn't even make, scan it, blow it up, and make it about as cheap as your average Mattel/Hasbro/Jakks pacific rotocast plastic and charge $80-$100? It's absurd and insulting. Especially when companies like Jakks pacific are making huge 32" inch figures like this,

image.jpeg

For $20-$30 bucks.

And NECA is making large, 18", fully articulated figures with a bunch of accessories for about the same $80-$100 price tag.

image.jpeg

Really insulting.

Gentle Giant's Animated series Joker and Robin have started shipping and it's $100 bucks for a blown up figure from the 90s that retailed for $5 bucks on a photoshopped cardback.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

They cancelled Super Powers Lex Luthor, so maybe sales as a whole suck. Who knows.

I got Wolverine for Christmas, and can't really argue with your points. Is light and rotocast. And the initial novelty wears of f a bit. So, I'm not planning to go deep with Super Powers. But still, they do have a charm, and I'll pick up one or two. Would definitely get some 84-85 Joe's, but maybe not if there was no articulation. As for cost, you could probably justify that based on economy of scale. These aren't mass market neca stuff.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Part of me hopes sales have been terrible for these figures. They're lazy cash-grabs that take zero effort to make and their only appeal is nostalgia, nothing else. But if people enjoy them, that's great.

Last edited:
I got Wolverine for Christmas, and can't really argue with your points. Is light and rotocast. And the initial novelty wears of f a bit. So, I'm not planning to go deep with Super Powers. But still, they do have a charm, and I'll pick up one or two. Would definitely get some 84-85 Joe's, but maybe not if there was no articulation. As for cost, you could probably justify that based on economy of scale. These aren't mass market neca stuff.

I've got the Stormtrooper and Boba Fett, the very first ones they did. They were okay.

Still think they could have atleast added knee joints to the Super Powers figures.

And I dunno, the price still doesn't seem right. Sure, NECA has mass produced figures, but it's not like their quarter scale figures are sold in every store. They're "specially marketed" just like these. The Batman Returns Penguin for example only has an edition number run of 2,750 pieces. I don't know what Gentle Giant's numbers are but $80+ feels like a rip, even for a niche nostalgic item.

Last edited:
latest "cash grab "for sdcc exclusive ,got to say these figures dont interest me ,but i love the canadian gas station style packaging ,would look ace with regular production figures inside
GGSDCC16BatmanJumboPrototype8.jpg
GGSDCC16SPCarded1.jpg

not sure if theses are mock ups ,but prototypes dont have the date stamp on them and the ones in the pictures do , so who knows

attention to detail lol :slap

Wow the DC figures are crap. The Star Wars ones are pretty faithful to the originals. They have similar packages and include their accessories too.

I did not expect the Super Powers figures to retain their action features but did think they would have all of the articulation. I was planning on getting a few but this is a deal breaker for me.

The Animated figures have none of their accessories and the packaging is significantly different then the originals. You can get a pretty decent MOC Animated collection for what one of these would cost. Outside of Combat Belt Batman and maybe Penguin most can be found for like $10 or less. On Ebay I saw one lot sell for like $130 with Batman and 12 other figures. Seems silly to buy the GG when the originals are so abundant on the secondary market.

That's all the Jumbo figures are, expensive, over priced gimmicks. Fun idea at first, but honestly don't know where Gentle Giant gets off.

So they take an old figure that they didn't even make, scan it, blow it up, and make it about as cheap as your average Mattel/Hasbro/Jakks pacific rotocast plastic and charge $80-$100? It's absurd and insulting. Especially when companies like Jakks pacific are making huge 32" inch figures like this,

View attachment 273582

For $20-$30 bucks.

And NECA is making large, 18", fully articulated figures with a bunch of accessories for about the same $80-$100 price tag.

View attachment 273583

Really insulting.

Gentle Giant's Animated series Joker and Robin have started shipping and it's $100 bucks for a blown up figure from the 90s that retailed for $5 bucks on a photoshopped cardback.

View attachment 273584View attachment 273585

They cancelled Super Powers Lex Luthor, so maybe sales as a whole suck. Who knows.

Is this confirmed? No Super Powers Lex Luthor? I just dove in on this line! WTF? I was sure the animated series figures wouldn't appeal since they ditched the extras from the Kenner line but I had such high hopes for Super Powers. What a bummer. This is why I had hoped Mattel or DC Direct or both of them would have just done a straight up retro/reproduction line. When will Super Powers get the love?

I didnt know anything about these until today. I saw the Joker figure at a store for $75 but just couldn't see myself spending that much on it. But then again, I really want these! I loved that cartoon growing up and I think these would look awesome displayed on a wall in the man-cave. But that price! :gah:

Sales must be pretty bad. My local shops aren't ordering these.

I already knew Lex Luther was canceled but now the Penguin has been canceled as well.

So in the end, the line only lasted seven figures. It's too bad.

I was hoping these would be a home run but the company cut too many corners without adjusting the final cost to reflect the real value of the item.

Just as well. I didn't want to see Cyborg issued without all of his weapons and without a vacmetal finish. That would have been so sad.

Hopefully some company one day reissues a true tribute series that is modestly priced.

I think this issue might have been the knee joint being removed... It's not an "exact" reproduction if you change the articulation. I like the action features are removed. But the knee fiasco killed this line for me.

I’ve also heard that the Lex Luthor figure had been canceled, but who knows, maybe it will show up as a show exclusive or something, somewhere. Personally, I really like the Gentle Giant Jumbo Super Powers figures, even though they are overpriced. Super Powers is my all time favorite toy line though, so I’m biased. So far, I’ve only purchased the Flash and Batman jumbo figures, but if I had more room, I’d probably buy more of them. I would still probably buy Cyborg and maybe a couple others if they got around to making them. I have a complete set of the original Super Powers figures, still in packages though, and between that and my other collections I’m nearly out of room. As cool as the jumbo figures are, I’m struggling to find room to put them anywhere.

Back