General Oldschool Star Trek thread (no JJ or Discovery)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First Contact is garbage.
Yet another illogical time travel plot.
Most of the crew sits out on Earth tryin' to convince Cochrane to man up.
Most characters act completely out of character, especially Picard.
The concept of Borg Queen ruined Borg forever.
etc

attachment.php

I saw First Contact way before really knowing anything about the TNG characters. Always liked that movie. I remember Picard being Johnny Action and like that Cochrane was only making the warp drive for hookers and blow.

And I just saw TNG episode where they first encounter the Borg. It was ok. I image the 18 peps that were taken will come back as borg.

I grew up as a kid, watching and loving Next Generation. I actually remember watching the pilot episode, even though I was only 7. It's funny how people can have such widely divergent opinions on things here, where some hate all the TNG characters, while I love just about all of them. . .Beverly aside :lol Data and Picard are two of my all time favorite TV show characters. And Q, the Borg, and the introduction to new or "modern" takes on all those other great alien races--the Cardassians, the Romulans, the Ferengi, etc.

Nostalgia does definitely play a role, but at the same time, many of those episodes are really smart and clever seeing it with the eyes of an adult. Some not so much of course, but even Ted Williams missed more than he hit. Once every year or two I'll get an itching to watch episodes of TNG, and I'll watch an episode or two a night for a few weeks before moving on to something else.

I also love DS9. I didn't care for it in middle/high school when it first came out, but I watched it through for the first time about 5 years back, and was really blown away by the character development, the level of sophistication in the exploration of religious, political, and military issues. Some of it heavy handed, but really well done by and large. Gul Dukat was the character I most loved to hate in all of Star Trek.

I tried to do Voyager a few times, and could never get very far with it. Just didn't connect with me. Lots of lazy writing and unlikable characters IMO.

I like the original series quite a bit, but never saw it all the way through. I need to do that.

On balance, I'm more an old school Star Trek than Star Wars guy, though.

Star Trek First Contact is what really made me a Trek fan back in 96 :dunno I'd have to watch the Red Letter Media review to see why it's actually crap, I can't remember the reasons.
I also loved it in the theaters, and still do enjoy it quite a bit. I love RLM, but this is one example where I feel they are so focused on nitpicking that they miss the forest for the trees. It's a fun movie, with some bad-ass moments.

First Contact is garbage.
giphy.gif

attachment.php

I saw First Contact way before really knowing anything about the TNG characters. Always liked that movie. I remember Picard being Johnny Action and like that Cochrane was only making the warp drive for hookers and blow.
giphy.gif

For me it's no question that TNG is one of the best series of any kind of show bar none. The writing, acting, everything was top notch. Their movies sadly were mediocre at best but the show was incredible.
Well. . .Nimoy was good, anyway :lol And Clint Howard.

Currently re-watching every episode of DS9. Half way through season 3. It's wonderful.
I'll do the same with TNG and VOY but started with DS9 as it's my favourite Trek series.

It would be outrageous if they changed him to fit the newer 'content'.
It'd be really dumb but they put themselves in this position.
Didn't they have to change the Klingon design to be 25% different due to some complicated licensing issue?

I had never heard that. I've always assumed they stupidly just wanted to put their own stamp on Star Trek's classic big bad in an effort to make them ''fresh''. Vulcans apparently never needed freshening up though.

I had never heard that. I've always assumed they stupidly just wanted to put their own stamp on Star Trek's classic big bad in an effort to make them ''fresh''. Vulcans apparently never needed freshening up though.

Midnight's Edge did a good series of vids on Paramount and licensing to do with Trek. How designs had to be tweaked from classic designs etc.

The remaining TNG cast are returning for Picard's final season!!!
https://nerdist.com/article/star-tr...st-levar-burton-michael-dorn-jonathan-frakes/

So the brain trust that gave everyone the first two mind numbing seasons of Picard, now totally desperate, will finally give long term hard core fans the show they always wanted in the first place?

I was sold on DS9 with the entire Nog/StarFleet storyline. This plotline goes to sort of a deep introspective place that the other series couldn't approach because of the "show Bible" that Gene Roddenberry laid down on the all the show runners and writers.

While people see the Ferengi and Quark and the others as just a type of comedic relief, there are moments where there is a lot of heart and depth and actual pain involved.

The Ferengi should have gotten their own show.

Back