General Grievous Life-Size Bust Post yours here!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had very high expectations for this piece and SS definately delivered.

Thanks for the great pics guys.

AMAZING PIECE man, i hope this signals better quality from ss cause that bust is perfect!!!!

So, do you guys think this piece will do better than the previous busts as far as value goes? Or will it do about the same as lets say the Darth Maul bust? As far as quality, I think it it's right there with the DM Bust if not better.

Looks really cool! I'm glad I'm not intro Prequels collecting otherwise I would have bought this for sure.

So, do you guys think this piece will do better than the previous busts as far as value goes? Or will it do about the same as lets say the Darth Maul bust? As far as quality, I think it it's right there with the DM Bust if not better.

It's impossible to say. They actually made more Mauls than Grievouses, but Maul is probably the more popular character. But of course Maul is really the only life-sized bust to appreciate at all in value -- the others can all be found for less than retail.

Then again, there's something about the older collectibles (not just Sideshow, but MR, etc.) that they hold their value despite their higher edition sizes. Once a line gets popular, it seems like the speculators spoil the market and/or people drop off the market due to the novelty wearing out.

I still maintain that Maul and Grievous are the best 1:1 busts, based on quality, character choice, etc. I want to include Ackbar in there as well, but the apparent lack of acrylic/glass eyes will make the bust less impressive than if it did.

So, do you guys think this piece will do better than the previous busts as far as value goes?

Even with the reduced edition size, I see no reason to think this bust will behave differently on the secondary market. That's not a quality issue...it's a fantastic item...it's just the basic economics of an expensive niche piece like this.
Basically, it's reasonable to think that a significant percentage of people who *want* one of the 1:1 busts will preorder (either through Sideshow directly or through a dealer). Of the people who want one but *don't* preorder, it's reasonable to assume that they were looking for a better-than-MSRP price, so they're not likely to buy later if the price goes up. Given that, there's few people left to drive the price up above MSRP.
That's pretty much true of all high-end collectibles. Sure, some "hold" value longer than others, but very, very few will ever do that on a long timeline.

Excellent pics Sir Gosh, I can't wait for mine!

It's impossible to say. They actually made more Mauls than Grievouses, but Maul is probably the more popular character. But of course Maul is really the only life-sized bust to appreciate at all in value -- the others can all be found for less than retail.

Greedo has been climbing too.

Greedo has been climbing too.

The typical trajectory for high end items in my experience goes like this:
1) Item preorders
2) Item releases at MSRP, dealers sell slightly below MSRP. eBay prices tend to agree with dealer prices
3) If the item sells out quickly, skip to step 5)
4) After a while, dealers begin discounting remaining stock to move it. eBay prices tend to match, though they will sometimes drop before dealer prices, sometimes after.
5) After some time (or immediately if the item sold out quickly) the price begins to creep back up to MSRP or beyond. This is especially true of items that the community ignored or which got a bad rap on forums initially, only to be sought after by completionists later.
6) After even longer, the price crests and begins to fall. Most of the people left who might want one have not been willing to pay the elevated secondary market price. Additionally, other newer high-end items are competing for that money, sometimes as direct replacements for the item in question (good examples here are the Icons sabers and X-wing)

I am not a fan of the character so much but you gotta respect the quality that went into this piece. Definitely up there with their other busts. Great pics guys!

exactly...i'm really impressed with the pics guys. glad you finally got this awesome piece in. if funds permit i think i'm gonna try to get me one of these later this year.

The typical trajectory for high end items in my experience goes like this:
1) Item preorders
2) Item releases at MSRP, dealers sell slightly below MSRP. eBay prices tend to agree with dealer prices
3) If the item sells out quickly, skip to step 5)
4) After a while, dealers begin discounting remaining stock to move it. eBay prices tend to match, though they will sometimes drop before dealer prices, sometimes after.
5) After some time (or immediately if the item sold out quickly) the price begins to creep back up to MSRP or beyond. This is especially true of items that the community ignored or which got a bad rap on forums initially, only to be sought after by completionists later.
6) After even longer, the price crests and begins to fall. Most of the people left who might want one have not been willing to pay the elevated secondary market price. Additionally, other newer high-end items are competing for that money, sometimes as direct replacements for the item in question (good examples here are the Icons sabers and X-wing)

Your correct sir!
I just looked at your collection! Very nice!
Did you get the X-wing? by EFX yet?

Why is it scaled the same size at Palpatine's head? I thought it was 1:1 and should be quite larger right?

Why is it scaled the same size at Palpatine's head? I thought it was 1:1 and should be quite larger right?

I'm not the sort to go digging frame by frame and comparing dimensions, but if the PFs are accurate, then it looks like they got it about right (based on the GG PF compared to some of the human PFs). It's just his head and neck ring, where Palpatine is the head and part of his shoulders. If they'd added Grievous's shoulders in, the bust would have been substantially taller.

Back