Gang Boy by Rainman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I completely understand where you are coming from but I have never seen the problem in asking an artist to consider a figure most people would like on their shelf :dunno

so we're in agreement? :lol

EDIT... ah ____... you got the correction in just as i quoted you.

i know it's not a problem. it's just 2 different perspectives on custom work. i think mine just benefits the artist's creativity a little more, and yours benefits a lot of figure fans.

but if rainman likes suggestions, maybe we can open a thread for films he should watch.

epemar.gif

Not even a head and clothing set?

You seemed so intent on getting this bud?

Too much threeA style F5 bashing and I would only want the top set so just couldn't be bothered with it being so limited and all, so I chilled out with a bunch of gays in the afternoon at PRIDE and watched Sade at the Birmingham LG Arena at night.

Back on track, what we should all be talking about and admiring :)

I can't get over the perfection of this :panic:

-060.jpg

Finishing S3 of the Sopranos tonight buddy

Deadwood is after I have completely finished Sopranos my man :wink1:

I've been waiting awhile for Sean Ho to send the Tony Soprano head sculpt that I organized Z to commission for me. It's been so long I've been trying to get a Tony Soprano on my shelf it's not even funny.

In my opinion there is no better show and I doubt there will be than the Sopranos, but it really opened the door for a new kind of drama.

Season 2 was still the best but overall the show in it's entirety was a cut above any other show in history.

I loved Deadwood and Rome. Both amazing. Deadwood was a favorite because I love westerns and Rome was a little more exciting but Deadwood a bit more sophisticated. Waiting for Boaedwalk Empire to come out so I can get into that all in one shot on DVD.

Other than that, Mad Men is the only show that blows my mind, it is comparable to the Sopranos in Complexity of characters and great acting, with a leg up on art direction but Sopranos is a he'll of a lot more exciting and edgy. No one will top Sopranos in this century, but I'd love to see someone get close!

These other popular shows, Dexter, Lost. Sorry to offend anyone but they are nowhere near to the sophistication show like the Sopranos can bring, with the complexity of the characters and acting calibre. Even thigh they might have entertaining elements.

I dont get this whole suggestions argument and want to say my peace before I move on. I think it's insulting to Rainman myself to say that he's making work he's not inspired by and is being controlled by what others tell him. There have been 100s of suggestions that haven't and more than likely will never be made by Rainman. I think it's a bit presumptuous to speak for the artist on whether or not he likes the characters he's making, and if I was a betting man I'd say he's a fan of everything he's done or else he wouldn't do it. I know for a fact he likes Daniel Plainview so that's why I keep posting my personal suggestion, in jest, because I'd love to see it happen. If he makes it I can guarantee it won't be because one guy has been clamoring for it. It'll be because he likes it and wants to to.

I think Mad Men is the best thing on TV, and I think Boardwalk Empire, if it continues the way the first season did, will beat out the Sopranos for HBO series for me.

Don't want to start a rumor or anything, so don't take this so seriously.

Rainman told me he wasn't sure what his next project would be. He wanted to make an accessory pack for Gang Boy, don't really know what kind of accessories, you guys might know which. He also said about doing some gang member from new york *wink*wink*.

But he mentioned them casually. I think you guys should suggest him what next :p

So possibly bill the butcher???? Niceeee

no offence to anyone, but i miss the days when rainman picked his own projects. i feel like he challenged himself a little more in the complexity of the outfits etc. even though the figures have been superb, i still haven't seen anything as complex or intricate as the initial GBU stuff.

it's great to be able to get him to make figures people want, but i think some of these choices are almost too simple. a lot of recent rainman figures look stunning but personally i think a tiny bit easy for his tremendous skill. as nice as it is getting characters we want, i'd rather not see it at the expense of his artistry. i'd rather see him stretch his talent in something a little different that he's not tried before. and only rainman knows what that is.

I agree with you that the perception of things have changed somewhat. I never really got the feeling that insiders like zuno or SantaJack were whispering in Rainman's ear or petitioning their personal preferences about what he should make off the forum. I never once saw a suggestion here for Chaplin or Hepburn or Stuart Little so I assumed they were more pet projects. I also hope those continue in addition to the "you should watch this movie I like and make this character" type of stuff.

I've been here since the first Rainman figure and as far as a challenge, I think the Dude's patterned clothing, multi-piece hair bits, Alex and Dude's glasses, Dexter's gloves and slidebox have challenged his talents and are on par with his gunmen and fighter series at least in terms of detail. Though the number of items and accessories have sometimes decreased with certain releases compared to past ones, he generally includes all the bits that are essential to each character.

Rainman walks a fine line. On one hand, he's an artist doing work that feeds his creative soul, and on the other, he's making a living off of it. That livelihood is dependent upon the consumer, and you can tell by the quality of his work and the reactions he's had to potential fiascoes, that the customers come first. So if the direction of his art is influenced by his loyal customers who put clothes on his back and food on his table, can you really blame him at all? His last 3 figures have given him more exposure and garnered more first time buyers than ever before. Back in the GBU days, there was a loyal following which jumped onto his Fighter1999 series, but his transcendence into the customizing force he is now has come through his 'influenced' figures. I have no idea if Rainman had ever seen Dexter, TBL, or ACO before , but his passion can definitely be seen in those works, and they're selling out quick with even bigger edition sizes. Seems like a win-win for us all.

I dont get this whole suggestions argument and want to say my peace before I move on. I think it's insulting to Rainman myself to say that he's making work he's not inspired by and is being controlled by what others tell him. There have been 100s of suggestions that haven't and more than likely will never be made by Rainman. I think it's a bit presumptuous to speak for the artist on whether or not he likes the characters he's making, and if I was a betting man I'd say he's a fan of everything he's done or else he wouldn't do it. I know for a fact he likes Daniel Plainview so that's why I keep posting my personal suggestion, in jest, because I'd love to see it happen. If he makes it I can guarantee it won't be because one guy has been clamoring for it. It'll be because he likes it and wants to to.

Absolutely spot on buddy

I spoke to Rainman earlier after he asked about what was being said about this and he said he does not make anything he does not want to!

He said that everything he makes is from the heart and that he only makes characters he wants to make.

It was only the other day that he said he had fallen more in love with Alex as a character after making him, I think that can only be a great thing!

He has spoke to me a number of times about how he adores Plainview and DDL so here is hoping :pray:

Back