Gandalf 12" up for order!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOAH! I just barely got out of the shower, thinking he wouldn't be up until ten, and had the craziest feeling like I needed to check the computer now. Thank goodness!!!

I have to say, the likeness is AMAZING, as are the accessories. I'm glad he has two staves, but I can tell he'll need TONS of futzing to make the robes look right. Regardless, I'm super impressed with the costume, but more than anything the likeness!!! I can't wait. This line has yet to fail me!

He's gonna take a lot of futzing I do believe. Which is fine because I really love GTG.

I'm thinking of something like this for a pose.

A lot of people a saying that the price increase isn't worth the buck body. I have never had a problem posing them on the buck. I would like to see an update as well. For me though for the price I would like to see more accessories and better materials and tailoring for the clothing. I think that is where Hot Toys dominates and warrants their high prices. The body is important however, I would like to see them improve in other areas first.

True,to compete with the big boys IMO(Medi and HT) they need to do BOTH.The tailoring has needed to be improved for a while now,but at say 49.99-59.99 it was no big deal.Again i think it looks good just not 90$ without a new body good.

I'm as poor as anybody on these forums, but I'm more than willing to save up for this guy--the quality is absolutely fantastic! Since I'm one of the only ones for whom the Buck presents no problems, that's a non-issue for me, and the rest of the figure is magnificent! In my eyes this sculpt far surpasses even Old Ben! SO beautiful! And the costume will be fine; it just takes a little bit of work which is frankly something I enjoy doing with my figures. I know most of the thread will be complaining, but I myself am just going to sit back and revel in the moment. This is a magnificent piece; one of the best Sideshow has done and yet another slam dunk in their unrivaled LOTR 1:6 line. SO while there might be a lot of discussion about this 'problem' or that 'flaw,' I'm going to enjoy this great product!

True,to compete with the big boys IMO(Medi and HT) they need to do BOTH.The tailoring has needed to be improved for a while now,but at say 49.99-59.99 it was no big deal.

I don't even mind paying $69.99 for their current level. I think Palpatine while simple was a really nice example of good materials and tailoring. Old Ben was great as well. It will be interesting to see if they discuss the current trend in pricing. They have seemed to not address it yet. I wish they would address these concerns. Even if you go and read comments on their site many of them are about price.

I wish they would address these concerns. Even if you go and read comments on their site many of them are about price.

I wish they would as well,It's kinda sad for the collector that they have not.The only thing keeping me from jumping for joy is that the price is too high with no new body.If they said "preorder our new LOTR Gandalf with our new body" i wouldn't even flinch at the price.

Agreed, 100%. I think this figure looks great but I have been officially priced out of this line.....

...After 10 years of loyal collecting, from Universal Monsters to Twilight Zone and Outer Limits to Hellboy and now Star Wars and Lord Of The Rings, I am officially unable to continue in the race....

....and I have to wonder if Sideshow realizes that this kind of fallout will happen more with the steady increase of prices.

I'm not going to blast Sideshow here for it...heck, for those of us who pay bills for things other than toys, this last year or so has seen everything creep up in price, from filling the tank to heating the home (for those of us who live in more intense climates than sunny SoCal:D) to property taxes and lots, lots more.

It's unreasonable not to expect some price increases with the fun stuff too.

In the case of this particular figure, we are seeing a character with what on the surface may be just some robes actually have some pretty complicated layering and detailing going on in both exectuion and materials. And the LOTR line has always been a little more in price than others (heck, I'm still wincing over $70 a pop for the halflings..which depending on the timing I may have to let go of...too much cool stuff too fast!), but if we see a low(er) edition size and get news of something substantial like a new base body, maybe that'll help ease the pain for some folks really put out by this. And let's remember that, unlike some of the other comparable companies that put out 1:6 figures, Sideshow has some of the best sculptors in this industry giving us these amazing portraits to admire. Just look at this stunning job with Gandalf that Tim Miller has done...it's beautiful.

If not, well...I understand everything's costing more, but like piccolodaimaoh, there may come a point soon where many more of us get priced out of collecting these figures...and that would be too bad.

I guess we will see. I can't wait to see their Indy stuff as well. I just may not be able to afford to be such a completionist anymore. :monkey2

Well the tailoring is clearly multi-layered. You can even see the inner sleeves that come up over his hands! I can't wait for this one. As if waiting for the hobbits wasn't painful enough . . . :monkey2

I guess we will see. I can't wait to see their Indy stuff as well. I just may not be able to afford to be such a completionist anymore. :monkey2

Indy is why I may have to let the halflings go for now, even if it means not getting the crust of bread and the butter knife, er, sword exclusives...gotta get that Indy guy. :)

Great looking figure. Just got mine!

I'm surprised Gandalf went up on a Sunday with such little fanfare. I might have missed the Exclusive entirely if I wasn't so obsessive about checking in the morning.

the price is a little steep but the quality is there. those are some nice accessories and they got the pipe to slide into his staff which is a must for me(small detail i know). with price increases like these i think im sticking solely to 1/6 scale from now on. no more statues or busts. but i will keep the aragorn PF. did anyone notice that gandalf took up 2!! yes 2 spots in the 1/6 releases. what a question mark hog.:lol

I think Gandalf looks fantastic and I placed my order. I will be honest though, the price tag did make me do a double take.

the price is a little steep but the quality is there. those are some nice accessories and they got the pipe to slide into his staff which is a must for me(small detail i know). with price increases like these i think im sticking solely to 1/6 scale from now on. no more statues or busts. but i will keep the aragorn PF. did anyone notice that gandalf took up 2!! yes 2 spots in the 1/6 releases. what a question mark hog.:lol

Gandalf will suffer no rival. :lol

This is just excellent. I doubt you can do a more magnificent 12" Gandalf.

Seriously, that headsculpt and beard possesses a majesty that truly embodies the Grey Pilgrim.

BRAVO, Sideshow!

:clap

It's unreasonable not to expect some price increases with the fun stuff too.

Exactly. Everything has gone up so to believe toys shouldn't either is just someone not really into how things work. Like I said I was kind of taken back by the jump to $90 and not sure going that high right now is a good idea. I guess for me I was lucky enough to have enough RP to get him for less than $10.

In the case of this particular figure, we are seeing a character with what on the surface may be just some robes actually have some pretty complicated layering and detailing going on in both execution and materials.

Right! I think his outfit is MUCH more complicated than it appears and more so than some people are thinking. When he hits our shelves in Q3 we will get a chance to see just how complicated.

did anyone notice that gandalf took up 2!! yes 2 spots in the 1/6 releases. what a question mark hog.:lol

SS doesn't always put up the exact number of squares they will use. Remember that.

I ordered Gandy without a problem because he is easily my most favorite character in all of the LOTR Universe but the price did make me do a double take. I ordered it without much hesitation though but if this is the continuing trends I'll probably be ordering the Fellowship and then getting out of the LOTR line completely. The Star Wars lines is heading near end after the major OT figures are released and its getting harder to stick to a few lines with the price hikes. The only 1/6 lines I collect from SSC right now are LOTR, SW and The Dead with the addition of Indy and GI JOE coming soon. With price increases in them all looking apparent I have to start picking and choosing instead of being a serious completist.

My Non-Marvel PFs are looking closer and closer to being canceled.

Back