Galadriel's Mirror

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re:

Wow. josh.. you should work in politics.....

Likness is a big factor in these sculpts. It just is. And to compare the Strider piece (which has one of if not THE worst likness to the actor in the entire line) to chuck's Elessar bust (which is completely spot on) is rediculous (in my opinion).

And you contradicted yourself when you said that you are sure that Weta artists (seeing as how they work on some of the biggest movies) have talents that are "a hell of a lot higher" than those average artists on the street ..... then you agreed that there are a lot of talented people around whos work is "dam impressive to say the least."

Would it have been cool to see SSW do a mirror? yeah... but they didn't. So if we want one it is now in the extremely talented hands of those artists on the boards who are extremely talented. In fact, the mirror will have a specialness all of its own seeing as how it will come from people we know and love here.... :rock

Guys....This is a really good thread talking about a really good idea to have a mirror made for those who want one!
Let's keep it going as such!

Debating about the 'Higher' talent of people who are employed but some company and those who are not is just absurd!
Especially when we all know that it is not true.

Winged Shadows said:
You don't have to be anal to dislike the likeness on Pippin or Legolas. It's just being honest. I don't see why you have to label people in that way when their opinions differ to yours? I know you well enough to know you don't mean any harm by it, but it can be irritating.

That's not really what I meant. I meant that if the likeness isn't spot on doesn't make it bad and that seems to be what I get from a lot of posts. I don't mean anything nasty by it at all.

Winged Shadows said:
I'd argue, if it doesn't look like what is supposed to, what good is it? :dunno Please don't use the 'essence of the character' line on me. I ain't a huge fan of the book, so what I saw in the movies matters to me.

Well, then there isn't much to say the book is the beef of the story in IMO.

Winged Shadows said:
In the end what it comes down to, is different strokes...

I agree. I'm saying I don't like the idea that's all.

Lookin4Precious said:
Wow. josh.. you should work in politics.....

Thanks I think. I actually like Politics and have thought about getting invloved.

Lookin4Precious said:
Likness is a big factor in these sculpts. It just is. And to compare the Strider piece (which has one of if not THE worst likness to the actor in the entire line) to chuck's Elessar bust (which is completely spot on) is rediculous (in my opinion).

I didn't say it wasn't a factor but its not a major factor for "Me". I guess cause I really enjoy the book that's why. I don't think it is. Chucks bust is very nice but I wouldn't want it over my Strider statue.

Lookin4Precious said:
And you contradicted yourself when you said that you are sure that Weta artists (seeing as how they work on some of the biggest movies) have talents that are "a hell of a lot higher" than those average artists on the street ..... then you agreed that there are a lot of talented people around whos work is "dam impressive to say the least."

How is that contradicting myself. I said I think SSW has the best people around or at the very least some of the best. However, I agreed that other sculptors that I've seen are very good. I never said other sculptors sucked compared to Weta or that other sculptors where not dam impressive. I just think Weta has a

Lookin4Precious said:
Would it have been cool to see SSW do a mirror? yeah... but they didn't. So if we want one it is now in the extremely talented hands of those artists on the boards who are extremely talented. In fact, the mirror will have a specialness all of its own seeing as how it will come from people we know and love here.... :rock

I'm sure it will look ok. For "ME" personally it just wouldn't be as special.

Well, considering that these pieces were sculpted by Weta, licensed by New Line, taken from the movie and not the book etc so on and so forth. That, to me means that if the likeness isn't spot on(considering that the sculptors had the actors there), then it's bad. Just because someone at Weta sculpted these, and Sideshow distributed them doesn't put them above criticism.
jlcmsu said:
That's not really what I meant. I meant that if the likeness isn't spot on doesn't make it bad and that seems to be what I get from a lot of posts.

Rick - As I said on Statue Forum - sign me up for one! :rock

Josh - I'm pretty surprised! If the mirror was just made as a stand-alone item
that sat on Galadriel's base under the pitcher, I'm shocked that you wouldn't
want one. I think it'll really complete the statue, and make it comparable to
Saruman with Palantir. Should really vault the statue into another league.

Picure it this scene/diorama - Galadriel over the mirror pouring, while your
Frodo Statue is looking on while holding the one ring. I know I can't pass
that up, and I'm pretty surprised you can! :confused: :horror

Either way - :D

Could someone give me the link to the "statueforum". I would like to check it out.

I believe WETA is great with the monsters, but a few of the likenesses for characters is really off. Aragorn, Legolas and now I must add Galadriel statue. It just doesn't look like Cate Blanchett. I still like the statue though, as I was and am a LOTR Book fan first. It would have been a bonus to get a great likeness.

JSAuctionService said:
Josh - I'm pretty surprised! If the mirror was just made as a stand-alone item that sat on Galadriel's base under the pitcher, I'm shocked that you wouldn't want one. I think it'll really complete the statue, and make it comparable to Saruman with Palantir. Should really vault the statue into another league.

Picure it this scene/diorama - Galadriel over the mirror pouring, while your
Frodo Statue is looking on while holding the one ring. I know I can't pass
that up, and I'm pretty surprised you can! :confused: :horror

Either way - :D

I'm full of suprises aren't I. :D Maybe after I see pics I might be interested but its gonna have to look dam good for me to change my mind. If I end up changing my mine I'll eat some crow.

I'm not all for this likeness thing, for me it's a 'shared vision' of what I think people and places look like in the book, to what artists and painters like Alan Lee think they look like, and then on into these movies....the characters aren't different, they're the same, so to me dont HAVE a look....it's not universal. But I do like it when I look at Elrond and I think 'wow, those eyebrows look just like Hugo Weavings!' or how amazed I am with Theodens likeness.....basically, quite alot of these statues don't look like the person who played them in the movie, and if I was only buying for how good a statues face resembles an actor, I'd have a very small collection. I want a statue of Aragorn, not Viggo Mortensen - to some people thinking of an actor can take away the enjoyment of a statue and who that statue is supposed to represent. In the end, in years to come, are you going to look at these and think 'Cool Viggo statue' or 'cool Aragorn statue'? - but it has to be good, and the Aragorn shows all the battling qualities of Strider, and the costume etc is all the same as in the movie so that makes it OK to me...I'm not on anyones side here as I understand why people would demand a statue had a good likeness.....it comes down to taste and personal preference, and me myself I'm not that fussed, as long as the face looks like a face, but we shouldnt have arguments over likeness. This is all way off topic right?? :banana

I think this a good idea I would want to make sure that there was felt on the bottom of the mirror so it wouldn't scratch the base. Other than that awesome I am all in.

mirror

Add me to the list for the mirror...SS should have done this
in the first place.

On second thought, I agree. It's not worth it if it's not made by the same people as the statue. From now on, I'm not taking my car to the local dealer. I'm going back to the factory where it was made for service. :p

Fritz said:
On second thought, I agree. It's not worth it if it's not made by the same people as the statue. From now on, I'm not taking my car to the local dealer. I'm going back to the factory where it was made for service. :p

I'd like to sign up for one as well. If RickDTM's make-over of Helms Deep is any sign, then we're in good hands!

Josh, for what it's worth, you'll have to cut RickDTM's skills some slack. I'd like to think that you were also appreciative of what he's done to Helms Deep compared to what came out from SS/W . . .

Back