Future of Star Trek on Television?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never cared for DS9, until I started watching it on Netflix a couple of months ago. Now, I love it. The hardest guy for me to learn to like was Sisko, because he's such an odd leader, but even he has grown on me for what he is.

DS9 from season 4 onwards is excellent. When Worf came into it, the new klingon war and then the dominion war with the characters that brought in and what it did with the Cardassians.

Didn't care much for Enterprise. I guess I got really turned off by their intro song. It felt like something out of the 80s.

My favorite is DS9. Loved how it wasn't really a "monster/alien of the week" type series. They couldn't just escape from the planet and quarantine it. All the action happened on the station. They really developed the characters and even "killed" off a major character.

I hope they give it the HD treatment the same as they did with TNG. I think it would look great cleaned up and with updated effects (although the effects were pretty top notch by then). I would imagine that Odo would look awesome.

Waiting for TNG HD to go on sale and I'll start buying them.

Now, talking about the future of ST on TV, I would love to see Worf have his own TV series. Maybe have the occasional guest appearance by Captain Riker or Admiral Janeway.

Worf was an excellent character, it always disappointed me that he never took centre stage with Picard in the TNG films. I doubt Michael Dorn would come back for another show though, too much time in the makeup chair for him at this point I'd imagine, particularly if he was the lead character.

I doubt Michael Dorn would come back for another show though, too much time in the makeup chair for him at this point I'd imagine, particularly if he was the lead character.

This is probably nothing more than a pipe dream, but I'd love to see it:

Earlier this year, there was talk of a “Captain Worf” Star Trek project you were developing and hoping to pitch. What’s the status of that?

Dorn: I had come up with the idea because I love the character and I think he’s a character that hasn’t been fully developed and hasn’t been fully realized. Once I started thinking about it, it became obvious to me that I wanted to at least put it out there, which I have, and the response has been pretty amazing. We’ve been contacted by different individuals–I can’t say who and all that–about wanting to come on board and be part of this. Also, there’s all the political stuff going on with the new movies, with J.J. Abrams and Paramount and all that stuff, which I have no clue about and what it all entails, but that’s where it is right now.

Interestingly enough it has gotten traction. I was very surprised, I was on a movie not too long ago, where one of the producers was basically lobbying to be part of it. He was like “Michael, I’d love to write it, if you haven’t.” So at this point, my agents and my manager are looking at all the avenues and trying to figure out which is the best one. My agent and manager have been in the business for awhile, so they’re very savvy about where to start and how to get it going. Like I said, in this business you never know and I’ve been through pitching things and I never want to do that again [laughs]. It’s pretty brutal, but definitely I think once again, if Paramount or CBS or anybody thinks this is a viable thing, they’ll jump on it.

https://www.treknews.net/2012/08/30...ds9-and-his-pitch-for-a-new-star-trek-series/

DS9 from season 4 onwards is excellent. When Worf came into it, the new klingon war and then the dominion war with the characters that brought in and what it did with the Cardassians.

:exactly: :goodpost:

That was the best time for this series. The Dominion/Cardassian arcs were exceptional.

Now, talking about the future of ST on TV, I would love to see Worf have his own TV series. Maybe have the occasional guest appearance by Captain Riker or Admiral Janeway.

I'd watch this. The only way Trek would really interest me is setting it in the near future after TNG and this sounds like a brilliant way of introducing a new crew but also retaining familiar faces.

the later eps of ds9 were almost nothing but a brawl- everyone vs. everyone. Which is why it stands out as such a great series. They did at least one book of riker as captain of the titian just after the romulan coup d'état or assisination or whatever u want to call it. I'd love to see them pick it up there.

Hopefully after Star Trek 3, Paramount will decide to have a new show back on TV.

Shatner explains why it's so important to get Trek back on TV | Blastr

"It's been eight years since Enterprise went off the air, leaving us with no Trek TV representation outside of syndicated shows. The longest gap ever between Star Trek TV shows was 13 years, from the end of Star Trek: The Animated Series in 1974 to the beginning of Star Trek: The Next Generation in 1987. That gap was filled with several films (and an aborted TV series) starring the original series cast, though, and it seems that, for the moment, Paramount is happy to keep cranking out a new generation Trek movies and keep fans' attention focused on the big screen. But what about the franchise's original home: the American living room? Will Star Trek ever return to a TV format? William Shatner certainly hopes so.

During an interview to promote his new Trek documentary The Captains: Close Up, Shatner was asked if he thought that a Trek TV series was a better delivery system to get younger minds interested not just in the franchise, but in space exploration in general. Here's his response: "

"You know, I think you’re right. Because, JJ Abrams has found the key to getting a large audience into the movie theater, and that’s the ride. So you get a lot of the CGI effects, which is the epic movie making aspect of today, whereas in Cecile B. Demille’s time, you had to use real people. Now you don’t need to use real people and you can have infinity for God’s sake.

That’s in order to get you into the theater, because the majesty of the movie is shown by the large screen. But when you get into the small screen, you need stories… entertaining, interesting, vital stories that have a philosophy and also have an excitement about them, so that the viewer stays with it, but recieves the philosophy as a byproduct. Those were the best of Star Trek, those kinds of stories. And that kind of thing, there is always room for that. That kind of imaginative approach that stirs young people into wanting to be connected with science.
"

I really want to see a series set during the OS movies, though an Excelsior series with Sulu is gone now.

Back