FRODO & SAMWISE 1/6th

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got Sam today. Worth the money (with the giftcard discount of course :lol)

Samwise001.jpg

Samwise005.jpg

Samwise008.jpg

Samwise010.jpg

Samwise012.jpg

Samwise016.jpg

they're both damn good. and yet they dont sell out. and then a character like antilles comes along:sleep and he'll be sold out in a week or two. it's a crazy world i guess.

i just cant believe the exclusive hobbits cant sell out. seriously. there isnt 1500 fans out there who want the best representations of frodo and sam on the market today? even faramir can sell out and we all know about that one.

i just cant believe the exclusive hobbits cant sell out. seriously. there isnt 1500 fans out there who want the best representations of frodo and sam on the market today? even faramir can sell out and we all know about that one.

Faramir went Slowly but surely.

At the time Faramir came out Sideshow had stated in a chat or maybe somewhere here that after Faramir the line would pick up the pace a bit, so people had hope in the line and the product sold.

But with how long the Hobbits took to produce and Gandalf's constantly shifting release date and NO OTHER 1:6 PRODUCT BEING ANNOUNCED, I think hope in the line is waning. Who is going to want an incomplete fellowship?

I also agree with IJ, the price point is prolly an issue as well.

Who is going to want an incomplete fellowship?

I would. I could care less if i got the whole FS. Obviously it would be cool if they did em all but it's by no means a must for me.

If i got a gandalf or bilbo or saurman next i wouldn't be asking "but where is the FS?"

There's a whole lot of reasons why Frodo and Sam are still available.

1) Some folks have probably already parted out their 1/6 LOTR so have no need for the Hobbits anymore.

2) Some folks may not feel the price is worthwhile, and there are plenty of consumers who don't visit forums on the web to get first hand info on how nice they are or aren't and the price mixed with SSC's images may not sway some people.

3) Sideshow's Star Wars line is rolling along at a healthy pace as are some of Sideshow's non-1/6 products, so there's more products to choose from.

4) U.S. and world economies are all messed up and many folks have to reevaluate their collecting priorities and in some cases stop all together, so much as they may want them, they may not be able to work 2 little figures into the budget.

5) Other companies' 1/6 lines are thriving and offering quicker turnarounds. If SSC takes 8 months to deliver 1 or 2 figures in a line, regardless of quality, and HT's going to put out 3-5 pieces in 1 line in less than 8 months of equal or even better quality, that's going to sway a lot of favor. The majority of the collecting world is subject to the same consumer mindset all retail instills, get it cheap and get it now. Pacing of a line is huge and SSC hasn't had that in the LOTR line.

The 1/6 LOTR could be great, but there's a lot it has to combat to succeed and it just doesn't seem like anyone is finding value in winning the battle, and that may be smart, there may not be as much demand out there, even when the line started, as is need to support a line like this. Star Wars is a selling machine, you've got almost guaranteed success there so long as you make good product. LOTR may be less aggressive, no matter how nice the pieces are.

I still say there was a lot of people out there that thought full price for half sized figures was too much to ask.

Whether the complaint was logical or not, I think it was a major reason.

Good points, MaulFan. I do think that the long lead time is a problem for Sideshow in general. It's hard to keep up enthusiasm for a figure if you have to wait a year between the announcement and release.

Good points, MaulFan. I do think that the long lead time is a problem for Sideshow in general. It's hard to keep up enthusiasm for a figure if you have to wait a year between the announcement and release.

Ya, but look at the Star Wars line. Not as bad as LOTR, but there's still a fair wait at times, but they have so many figures per year come out, even if the one you really want is taking awhile, figures are still coming out in the meantime. It plagues the LOTR line because there is nothing in between, you wait 8 months for a lone figure, and before the Hobbits that last wait ended with a subpar figure which made matters worse. If there were even like 6 LOTR figures a year, and they all took 8 months to come out, it'd sit better with folks than 1 figure and that wait.

Hot Toys and Medicom aren't slowing down, you gotta keep up with your competition or lose out to them. They may not be competing as far as license other than Medi-SSC for Star Wars and Indy, but they are all competing for our $$$, which is what brings in the factors like pacing and such. If it were competition just on product quality, it'd be one thing, but it's a general issue of multiple companies offering up every highly desired property at once and right in the midst of an economic crisis so competition for every dollar is more intense.

Back