FotR Blu Ray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope we get the Extended Editions.

Apparently, Doug Adams' "Music of the Lord of the Rings" book project is going to be released in 2009, along with a fourth entry in the "Complete Recordings" soundtrack series containing all the rarities, alternate versions, etc. There will also be a master boxed set including all three complete recordings, the rarities archives, and the book (which will also include additional multimedia material).

So 2009 is going to gice us a surprising amount of things for LOTR fans to spend their money on.

Last edited:
Nope. The EE are better for all 3 films.

I disagree (strongly when it comes to FOTR), but to each his own.

Now, I think that the EE of TTT is unquestionably a better film, because it actually clarifies a lot of pertinent material.

I hope we get the Extended Editions.

Apparently, Doug Adams' "Music of the Lord of the Rings" book project is going to be released in 2009, along with a fourth entry in the "Complete Recordings" soundtrack series containing all the rarities, alternate versions, etc. There will also be a master boxed set including all three complete recordings, the rarities archives, and the book (which will also include additional multimedia material).

So 2009 is going to gice us a surprising amount of things for LOTR fans to spend their money on.

I didn't know we were gonna get another complete recordings set. I can't wait for that.

I disagree (strongly when it comes to FOTR), but to each his own.

rubeyes.gif

emot156.gif

femtease.gif

Yeah, cause I'm such a ^^^^.:rolleyes:

I could really care less if Keith likes or doesn't like LOTR. I like it and honestly thats all I give a ^^^^ about.

Edit: I do want to make clear this isn't meant to be jerk comment. It just means my fandom isn't affected by if Keith likes it or not. Just like Keith's like for whatever isn't affected by mine.

Last edited:
Looks like 2009 will be the year that I pick up a Blu-ray player after all.

I'm sure that we'll get both versions on Blu-ray, and hopefully we won't have the break any longer in the EE's since they should be able to fit on one disc instead of two.

As far as the EE vs. the theatricals go, I tend to prefer the EE versions though I enjoy both equally. Unlike the Star Wars SE's, the additional scenes serve to enhance the story far more than they detract.

In FOTR the opening "On Hobbits" induces the film with a feeling very similar to the book. The Galadriel gift giving scene is really one of the prime editions that sets up more than a few things that occur over the next two films. If any scenes feel "indulgent" they tend to be minor extensions, such as Lurtz licking the knife, or the discussion between Haldir and Aragorn on whether or not the Fellowship can enter Lothlorien.

The biggest travesty in my opinion concerning the theatrical vs. EE versions is that loss of Saruman's demise from the TE of ROTK. It's a noticeable absence that really must have been resolved and I can't believe it was cut from the TE. For me ROTK is long enough that the added scenes don't make it feel bloated to me; the mouth of sauron, houses of healing and Gandalf vs. the Witch King are all worthwhile moments that I'm happy to have restored. I understand some complaints about loss of momentum/surprise with certain elements (king of the Dead), but I still think that overall the additions enhance the films more than they detract.

:lecture

Too many LOTR fans fall for the "more is better" mindset. When it comes to FOTR, they're wrong. :monkey3

As are the wrongheaded Indy fans who think KotCS was a good film. :gun :monkey3

What additions do you not care for specifically?
I think all of these scenes are for the better and make FotR even closer in tone, pacing and spirit to the book rather than the hurry up and get to Bree/action scenes asap regular editions.

# Isildur's death.
# Bilbo's opening narration "Concerning Hobbits".
# Bilbo at Bag-End avoiding the Sackville-Bagginses.
# Bilbo and Frodo dialogue at the party scene, while avoiding the Sackville-Bagginses.
# The Hobbits at the Green Dragon.
# Frodo and Sam seeing Wood Elves making their way to the Grey Havens on their first day of their journey across the Shire.
# The crossing of Midgewater.
# Aragorn singing "The Lay of Lúthien".
# Sam shows Frodo the trolls when they are at Trollshaws.
# Gandalf reciting Black Speech at the Council of Elrond.
# Aragorn visiting his mother's grave.
# The Fellowship given a goodbye at Rivendell.
# Gandalf warning Frodo about Boromir near Moria.
# Gandalf revealing the mithril mines to the Fellowship inside Moria.
# Lothlórien panorama added.
# Sam's poem about Gandalf's fireworks.
# The Fellowship have flashbacks from when they were given their gifts from Galadriel.
# Celeborn and Aragorn have a conversation in a flashback.
# Aragorn and Boromir seeing Gollum on a log.

Back