For Wayback Wednesday - Anatomy of a Review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
I bet you thought I forgot all about Wayback Wednesday - nay, nay! Instead of an update to an older review this week, I updated a feature article, which involved quite a bit more editing, adding new photos, etc. It's called Anatomy of a Review, and was originally published back in 2007. It's updated for my current style and thought process, and is designed to give you some insight into how I come up with that mystical Overall score. You'll find it here:

Feature article - Anatomy of a Review

Thanks for continuing to provide good content on your site.

With the advent of youtube and video reviews, it's increasingly become more difficult to find a well written review which includes quality analysis and pictures/poses. I leaned heavily on your written review (and TheReviewerKing's video review) before purchasing the 1/6 Ned Stark from ThreeZero.

I'm mainly a 1/6 collector but I appreciate the breadth of your content - covering an assortment of statues, figures and other collectibles such as the Batman: TAS 6" line, DC Bombshells, Game of Thrones (Dark Horse/Funko) and The Simpsons NECA line. Speaking of The Simpsons, I recall you wrote a very good retrospective feature about their Playmates line. Very informative history piece and for me, a great trip down memory lane.

Looking through your review archives, it's amazing how much the industry has changed through the past decade. The headsculpts and costume tailoring are so much better now but on the downside, the prices have jumped astronomically. I was reading your Sarah Conner Hot Toys review (wanted to buy the fig and replace Linda Hamilton's sculpt with Emilia Clark for the Terminator Genisys look) and noticed the figure only cost $145 back then. Only 5-years have passed, but that same figure would probably run $230 these days and require a NRD at SSC.

I'd like to see more guest reviews, to widen the breadth of products the site can cover.

Thanks for the comments sabin - I really appreciate the well thought out response. Yes, as I've been going through and 'mobilizing' the older reviews, I've been pretty amazed at the many changes in the industry.

I may get back to the guest reviews, although time is always a factor there. I do have some ideas though on ways to make it a simpler process for myself and the guest reviewer, but I need to get through this site update first...and that's going to take a little while. Thanks!

Thanks for the comments sabin - I really appreciate the well thought out response. Yes, as I've been going through and 'mobilizing' the older reviews, I've been pretty amazed at the many changes in the industry.

I may get back to the guest reviews, although time is always a factor there. I do have some ideas though on ways to make it a simpler process for myself and the guest reviewer, but I need to get through this site update first...and that's going to take a little while. Thanks!

Wouldn't having guest reviewers (on mcwtoys) lighten the load and take some of the burden off you?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying about the time factor.

No, because I rarely use guest reviews to replace mine, but rather as an addition. And while there's less work with a guest review than one of my own for sure, there's still work in editing and formatting that needs to be done. My comments on a 'simpler process' involve having a way that they can get the format down easily and do their own formatting, reducing my effort.

Back